IGNORED

Older teens and sport- do you go?

Lees75

Am I the odd one out? Or maybe it is a footy mum thing? I love watching my kids play sport, but I have noticed at DS17’s social basketball game, there is only one other parent that goes. Most of them have their Ps, so are no longer relying on parents for transport. I was chatting to one of his mates last night, who is a bit older, nearly 19, and he said I should keep coming, even when DS17 gets his Ps, as he loves my sideline comments. I don’t think DS really cares, and he will tell me, no doubt!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seayork2002

• Pigeonpairplusone

• Bob

• Lurker

Top Posters In This Topic

Hills Mum Bec

DD is 17 this year and I still go to all of her netball games. I would say that there is about 50% of the parents spectating in her 17&U age group.

I didn't mind the sport-watching thing, we had the ice-cold outdoor hockey experience to deal with.

The son of my workmate does sailing at the local lake in the warmer months. Dad gets to sit by the water in a deck chair watching the boats move around. I wish I had suggested this!

TheGreenSheep

I imagine it will continue as in Victoria the aren’t able to get Ps until 18. We enjoy watching the boys play sport. We do notice that the volume of supporters dwindles as they get older.

Seayork2002

DS does not do sport but if he did we would go to the important matches but not training every week no

I would not have wanted my parents to watch me all the time (nothing against them personally they are great parents)

100% I keep going for as long as I can. These years go fast and we’re going to miss this. That said, my 16 year old didn’t want me to come to watch his basketball games. None of the other parents stayed and he didn’t want to be different. So I’ll respect their wishes if that’s what they choose.

Phillipa Crawford

Not that mine were great sports lovers but definitely went to whatever was going.

DH would even make a point of popping into school sports days in upper high school - I teach so was working.

But whenever an invitation was extended to a parent, we would be there.

Then my parents are still turning up to see their sons and grandsons play cricket.

Ineedcoffee

My son plays under 14 soccer and all parents are there. We do sometimes watch the under 16s and under 18s play. They have a much larger following. The majority of the club go and watch all of the finals games and grand finals if our teams are playing.

It’s nice to have people go and support them. The kids like and appreciate the support.

When our eldest was 4yrs 3 months in kindergarten, her first ever sports event was the U6 2km cross country at school. She came 2nd (against some kids who were nearly two years older) and was very annoyed that DH & I missed it because we were at work. She told me that she was the only child in K-2 whose parents didn’t come as everyone else went home with their parents at lunchtime so she had to spend the rest of the day in a Yr 3 class (‘all alone and very tired’). I felt so bad, I promised her that I would go to everything after that. Then I had to extend that promise to my other two. Primary & high school, swimming/cross country/athletics (athletics is usually 2-3 days), three to four levels of competition for each sport. That was a big commitment - used up a lot of my leave entitlements, but I’m glad I went to almost all events (I only missed a couple when there was something at work I absolutely had to attend).

Lizzybirdsworth

I or dh (one would stay home with little kids unless important matches or we all wanted to go) used to go to all ds1’s matches. He liked that we were there.

We liked being there and he would get injured ALOT! Some not close to home so for him to not have one of us there would mean his car would be left at a venue to be picked up later and him alone in hospital.

Lizzard breath

I go to both DS’s sports, basketball and footy games. Although they are only 13 and 11, so still require transportation. I also go to most of their trainings, mainly as I can’t be bothered to drive there and back twice. If we arrange car pooling, I sometimes do a drop and run. I enjoy talking to the other parents and being involved. I’m team manager for basketball and involved in the footy club committee.

I also went to DS’s high school sports day on Friday. He’s in year 8. There weren’t many parents there, but there were a few. He wasn’t bothered and I got to watch him win all his events. He was free to do his own thing during the day and came and spoke to me, so obviously wasn’t bothered. If he’d said he didn’t want me there, I would have been disappointed, but respected his wishes and not come.

Over and out

Definitely. DS is now 18, but doesnt have his licence yet, so he drives to get hours, and I still get to watch.

Sadly when he has his licence I wont be needed. he knows I will generally still go to games, but not training

My parents barely watched me once I got my ps. Usually cause there were at least 2 other kids to get to other sports and I could do mine independently. Sometimes I was even dropping a sibling off somewhere for their sport.

I’d like to, but we will see how it goes.

My eldest is currently 16 so not quite there yet, but I think we would still go occasionally when it fits in. At the moment he has a parent there just over 50% of the time as one of us always stays with DS3 due to his age, and the other alternates between DS1 and DS2.

I think the more independence teenagers have the better, so unless they begged you to be there, relish having that time back to yourself again!

Pigeonpairplusone

I’ve always gone to my kids sport, dance you name it. My eldest is nearly 15 & he has just started saying to just drop him off, so I have been doing that. I will sometimes get there 10 mins before it finishes to sneak a look. If they wanted me to come, I would though.

Between DH and I we go to everything apart from DD’s basketball as she plays straight after school so there is no drop off, we just pick her up. But netball, soccer, AFL, volleyball, cricket, dance concerts there is always one of us there. We genuinely enjoy watching them. I am excited about this year’s netball season when I can spectate again!

Julie3Girls

I think there is a difference between hanging around for practice/training and attending a game.

My girls dance .. once moved into senior classes, (start of high school) I would drop off, wait in the car for pickup, stopped sneaking peeks into classes unless specifically invited. But I turn up to every performance.

Advertisement