• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Teejay153

• Ernegirl

• SleepyBear

• BECZ

Top Posters In This Topic

My DS had a bad outbreak and we just took it all off with the clippers. DD has had it a few times and the chemicals for me don’t work, I use cheap conditioner to stun them and I comb them out and yes it takes hours doing a section at a time and repeat the following week.

I’ve heard the hair straighter works too although haven’t had to use it yet.

The hair straightener was a big help when we had the big infestations in year 1. I did use a chemical treatment as well, but it was the individual pulling off the eggs that actually works. The hair straightener kills the live ones, but it makes the hair so much easier to comb. Because the hair is nice and flat it’s also easier to see the eggs. DH sat with a headlamp one night and just combed and combed. After that, tight plaits and hairspray helped prevent the, again. Make sure you wash their school hats as well (for little kids) and don’t let them share hats.

I’ve found that absolutely slathering the hair with conditioner, then running the wide tooth comb through to get rid of big tangles, then running the lice breaker comb through with the hair in sections seems to work on DDs very fine, straight hair, but OMG what a fecking chore. I loathe it. And the last time I did it on DD a few months back I did semi seriously suggest she go for the shaved look....

Thanks so much for all the ideas. Going to try the vinegar tomorrow after school. Just did a check and can't find any live ones so hopefully just dead eggs.

I would love to get the clippers out but DS is totally against me cutting it. He hates his hair short.

DS doesn't have additional needs and I have no idea how he wasn't going crazy with itching. Once we get rid of all these eggs and get his haircut - I have told him he can give his hair a comb with plastic lice comb once a week and I will check every few weeks so we don't get to this stage ever again. Did not think we would still be getting headlice in grade 11😔

Seayork2002

Ds only had it once there was 2 live and a few eggs, I have checked on and off and a couple of other times a maybe egg thing but I found cheap conditioner worked better than expensive stuff

The plastic lice combs are useless. Too slippery and they don't grab the eggs as they go.

I agree for eggs but seem to work well on his thick hair for the live lice which is why I'll get him to check it himself weekly using it,

Just an update that we had precious little luck with the vinegar. It stung DD's head, which has been raked raw with the nit comb.

I think sadly that it will come down to picking them off by hand, one nit, one hair at a time. DD has been told this is the only exception for parents to say the f word.

Advertisement