As a guest, you're only seeing half the picture - register now for access to all forums. ×
IGNORED

Yr 12 and significant injury/illness

Lees75

Sancti-claws

Oh your poor boy.

My sister (a few - ha - years ago) had a mystery illness that knocked her sideways for the second semester of Year 11 and she missed nearly all assessments.

The school worked with her to change her course structure (this was back in the days of TE scores) so that she still ended up with a fairly good entry score - the school should be able to work with you on that.

It sounds like a very good call not to put his body through too much stress right now.

Im sorry OP.

That does sound tough.

I agree with PP about physio and other allied health options to support your son.

Concussion can have long lasting affects.

OP someone just mentioned (stranger on a fb post) that years ago they did the HSC over 2 years as a result of glandular fever/CFS/ME.

Just another option to explore if needed

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

It's 4.5 weeks now and he is still having problems. I managed to get a Neuro-physiotherapist appointment on Monday, which was great. She did a full assessment and has given his some exercises to work on his proprioception, neck muscles, and eye gaze, plus all those combined. Hopefully he starts to have some dramatic improvement.

He is exercising without too much difficulty (non-contact, of course), but is still struggling at school. He can't concentrate for too long, which is making Maths difficult. And he still can't look at his screen for very long. Too much stimuli sets him off - for example, going to school assembly and then running a noisy mentoring group at lunch for younger boys was enough to increase his headache.

He is essentially. managing full-time school, but taking breaks out of the class as needed, and not doing any homework, other than on the weekends - even then, an hour seems to be his maximum. At this stage, it is looking like he may need special consideration for mid-year Maths exam, as he hasn't managed to be able to even study for any topic tests.

He is super resilient, and I have been so impressed with how upbeat he has remained.

Julie3Girls

Poor kid, awful to have this happen in yr 12 ... not only the academic impact, but just taking so much away from that last year of school.

My dd1 banged her head at work 3 or 4 weeks ago, has been having ongoing headaches every since, only just starting to really ease off this week. Dr says it was probably a very mild concussion - I can’t imagine trying to study with the way she has been, and that was just a really mild one. You must have a pretty tough kid!

Hope the exercises help and things start to improve!

• 3 weeks later...

@Julie3Girls, I hope your daughter has fully recovered by now!

Update: yesterday was 7 weeks and he played a full game of football in the reserves- best on ground, so will hopefully back in the As, as he has missed the money! 
Probably at about 5.5-6 weeks, the headaches went and his concentration and laptop time improved. As of today, I would say he is 99%. Still fatigues very easily, and has some minor proprioception and heart rate (autonomic system dysfunction) issues that the neuro-Physio is keeping an eye on, but she cleared him for football, driving, etc. 

He did a Maths Methods test last week and said he nailed it and felt fine, so will catch up on the topic test he missed during mid year exam prep time, as his teacher has decided not to do a school based exam. 
He is behind in all the other essay based subjects, but not ridiculously behind, so will hopefully be nearly caught up after the school holidays 

• Like 10

Lizzybirdsworth

I was actually thinking of you last week as I got my fb memories of ds’s time in hospital. 
im so glad your ds is feeling much better. He must have felt great getting back to footy and some normalcy. And a relief for you too. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

So proud of him! Yesterday was the last day of term, and he is now officially up to date. All assessment pieces handed in. There was one subject I was worried about, integrated Sports, as he seemed to back bench it to focus on the harder subjects, but if you don’t receive an A overall, it gets moderated down. But he chased up his teacher yesterday, as he hadn’t received a draft back from weeks ago, and apparently the teacher didn’t feel comfortable giving it back to him with nothing to change, so has sent it to the SACE coordinator who used to take the subject. So it sounds like he is on track for an A+ there.

Re his football, after his game a few weeks ago in the reserves, his chronic back pain flared up from too much sitting when studying, so he missed more games. Poor kid! But he played a full game in the As last week with no problems.

Overall, he still naps more than previously, but I’m not sure if that is still a concussion symptom, or a Yr 12 socialite symptom!

• Like 9

Advertisement