IGNORED

Starting High School in 2021

BeAwesome

DD enjoyed her orientation. She particularly loved doing a high school science class. Because she's in the academic stream, she'll have form and nearly all the same classes with the same group. She said everyone seemed nice, and there was a fairly even mix of girls and boys (she's been in a girls only cohort for the last 3 years). She found out what house she's in (red, I can't remember the name). She's very outgoing (very much the artsy drama kid), and she did comment the other kids all seemed a bit quieter / more studious, so I'm hoping she can find some more likeminded souls in the band / drama group / musical team, etc. She did exchange numbers with one girl in her class, and theýre going to try and make plans to catch up before school goes back, so that was nice.

She was a bit worried when they said to expect 1.5 hours of homework a night. She barely does that each week!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CrankyM

• Meepy

• BeAwesome

• Blizzy

Top Posters In This Topic

DS (middle child) is off to the same high school as DS (oldest child) who was in Year 7 this year. Moving from a state primary of about 580 to a state secondary of 1300.

DS2 will use DS1 text books from this year, but we need to buy a device and a few uniform and stationery items. I have bought some uniform throughout the year from the secondhand uniform pool and our local BSS page.

DS2 had an orientation day last Tuesday, and all the parent evenings have been online.

I think DS2 will be fine despite everything that's happened this year (we are in Melbourne). The school is implementing additional wellbeing and resilience programs to support the kids and I've been happy with the school for DS1 so far.

• 2 weeks later...

DS1 is going into grade 7 but he's staying at the same school (it's a P-9). They sent out the book pack, I ordered it and it arrived yesterday. It's the same uniform, so he'll need relatively little, but the school bag changes to accomodate their books, so we'll have a few things to get closer to Term 1.