IGNORED

Year 12 support

Over and out

How is your year 12 kid going?

In vic here, so ds finishes this Friday before first exam- English on Tuesday 10th

Bloody tough year for the vic kids

mumsytobigones

It is a tough year, they have had it rough. I don’t mean to sound corny but they are all winners for getting this far.

I’m in NSW and mine decided (with our full blessing) they wouldn’t be sitting it this year but will do it next year instead.

The best of luck to all kids sitting it atm (and suffering families).

I find this time of year confusing. Dd2 finished yr11 in term 3, so is now officially year 12, but the old yr12 is still half way through exams, so I always get confused whenever the school puts things up about “year 12” 😄

So wishing all the outgoing year 12s good luck with the rest of their exams, and those who haven’t started yet!

My NSW HSC DD is 3 exams down, 3 exams to go. Next one is tomorrow and then an 11 day break before the last two. She has found her exams to be good so far, but she stresses herself out and there have been many tears. There’s been controversy about some exams straying from the curriculum.

Poor kid turns 18 in 3 days, right in the middle of exams.

DS1 has done 3 so far, one on Friday then 3 next week.

He's going really well so far, studying a lot.

He said the first english was good, 2nd was really hard. Maths was easy.

I'm just a bit worried about all the bomb threats around. Lots yesterday, and one I've heard of today. I hope DS's school doesn't get one. It would be so disruptive.

DD1 is in Year 12 and classes finish today. Just exams to go now. I think I'll cry tears of relief for a week when she finishes her last exam!

She has suffered from crippling depression and anxiety her whole childhood, but has impacted her schooling since the middle of Year 6. She has also had to deal with some other extremely traumatic family circumstances. This year, despite the pandemic, has been the easiest year we've had for some time. But overall it's been a very long road and I honestly can't believe she's on track to finish the year relatively well.

Good luck to all the parents holding their breath as I am! (And to all the students too of course!!)

My NSW HSC DD is 3 exams down, 3 exams to go. Next one is tomorrow and then an 11 day break before the last two. She has found her exams to be good so far, but she stresses herself out and there have been many tears. There’s been controversy about some exams straying from the curriculum.

Poor kid turns 18 in 3 days, right in the middle of exams.

Such an unfortunate year to turn 18 :cry: A birthday during exams just adds insult to injury doesn't it.

Buffalo Soldier

DD2 has done 6, 1 more to go on Tuesday. Hasn't been surprised by the content of any of her exams, although she is one who can BS her way through the most mundane topics and make it sound interesting. She said biology today was 'interesting', quite different to the trial exam with a lot of data analysis.

She's my third one finishing school but my first doing the HSC, with DS and DD1 doing the SACE in SA in 2015 and 2017.

DS1 has basically finished. No exams for him.

Just needs to finish up his VET course (think another 2 sessions) and finish building my laundry cupboard (his woodwork major)

FeralRebelwClaws

So glad my Year 12 is in ACT, so no big standardised per subject. Thankfully DSD got a uni offer in August that was unconditional, so she's just learning for the sake of learning now, which is SO much nicer!

dd is very stressed but doing her best with studying. It doesn't feel like she's properly finished school though as the valedictory evening and the celebration evening were all online, so there's no real feeling of closure. For me anyway! She'll be so happy when it's all over and then she can focus on having some fun and driving practice, as she's only about half way through her hours.

DD did her practical component for Classical Voice on Saturday.

Tomorrow is the last day of classes - so we were hunting for a fabric marker for dress signing. Friday they have a special outdoor Covid safe event planned. Then she studies for her last 5 exams: 2x Maths Methods, 1x English, 1x Chemistry, 1x Music Theory.

I'm not afraid to sound corny - I am super proud of my daughter for getting this far. Yes she dropped French. Yes it was impossible to practice with her accompanist in Stage 4 lockdown. Yes she planned her 18th for 20 people, then 10, then with her grandpa and then it was a family Uber Eats at home. Yes her social life has been via Zoom. Yes she can no longer go away with her friends to a farm as they had originally planned after exams.

But she has worked hard and just rolled with what the pandemic has delivered. She just came in to say good night and told me how practicing the maths' exams is already having an impact.

She has already been provisionally accepted to one University's Classical Voice and we are waiting to hear about another preferred option.

After she finishes exams she has nothing to do as her job was in a children's play place which may or may not reopen - we may have read that they are closing some of their centres.

All these kids impress me with their capacity to get on with their lives no matter what 2020 has dished up.

Last day of classes today with breakfast and assembly tomorrow and hopefully no one gets out of control for muck up day. Last English yesterday and teacher had the whole class in tears. DD school is only new and they are the first lot through to year 12 so lots of celebrations and tears tomorrow

DD did her practical component for Classical Voice on Saturday.

Tomorrow is the last day of classes - so we were hunting for a fabric marker for dress signing. Friday they have a special outdoor Covid safe event planned. Then she studies for her last 5 exams: 2x Maths Methods, 1x English, 1x Chemistry, 1x Music Theory.

I'm not afraid to sound corny - I am super proud of my daughter for getting this far. Yes she dropped French. Yes it was impossible to practice with her accompanist in Stage 4 lockdown. Yes she planned her 18th for 20 people, then 10, then with her grandpa and then it was a family Uber Eats at home. Yes her social life has been via Zoom. Yes she can no longer go away with her friends to a farm as they had originally planned after exams.

But she has worked hard and just rolled with what the pandemic has delivered. She just came in to say good night and told me how practicing the maths' exams is already having an impact.

She has already been provisionally accepted to one University's Classical Voice and we are waiting to hear about another preferred option.

After she finishes exams she has nothing to do as her job was in a children's play place which may or may not reopen - we may have read that they are closing some of their centres.

All these kids impress me with their capacity to get on with their lives no matter what 2020 has dished up.

Not Corny at all. I think all year 12 kids this year deserve a medal for getting through, but the Vic kids are at a different level. What they have dealt with this year is definitely a completely different set of challenges that the other states have had.

Ds has last day tomorrow then first exam is english on the Tuesday.

He did not apply anywhere for early entrance. What he wants here in Vic did not have that option, and although most of his friends applied for early entry @ ANU, although they dont particularly want to go there, all he knows got an offer. If they get anything like they want here in Vic they wont take the ANU offer. A couple of his friends have got early offers here for actually what they wanted which was great.

He went ok in the trial exams the first week of term, but not as well as he would like. So madly doing more and more practice/old exams, the one he was most dissapointed with was methods, although happy with spesh. The teacher cant even work out why/how he stuffed up his methods so much, so hopefully that was his blip

ImperatorFuriosa

Mine finished on Monday. Its really anticlimactic after all the hard slog I've put in for the last 12 years to make sure he had all opportunities, getting past bullying etc. (He's ASD.) We are both meh. Its very weird. He has a gala dinner and morning tea for graduation next month. Maybe it will sink in then?

We are going to the city this weekend to buy him spiffy duds for the gala. I'm going but I hate shopping for clothes. DS1 seems rather grumpy lately and I'm getting used to having a kid at home all the time again.

I don't have a year 12 kid yet, but I was really feeling for the year 12s today. In QLD and there were many schools with bomb threats and evacuations today so poor year 12s had their exams messed up. Would like to strangle the rotten person who did that!

I find this time of year confusing. Dd2 finished yr11 in term 3, so is now officially year 12, but the old yr12 is still half way through exams, so I always get confused whenever the school puts things up about “year 12” 😄

So wishing all the outgoing year 12s good luck with the rest of their exams, and those who haven’t started yet!

My eldest is starting yr 12 now, I am not looking forward to the next 12 months!! We might need to start our own thread :D

My year 12s, don't have their exam until the 2nd last day, trying to help them keep motivated by posting motivational or funny memes on the class google classroom. I am so proud of how they have handled this year!

My eldest is starting yr 12 now, I am not looking forward to the next 12 months!! We might need to start our own thread :D

My year 12s, don't have their exam until the 2nd last day, trying to help them keep motivated by posting motivational or funny memes on the class google classroom. I am so proud of how they have handled this year!

It’s hard when you have one of the last exams. My dd1 did hsc last year, and had all but one of her exams near the start, then an almost two week gap til her last exam. So hard to keep the motivation up.

And yes, we will definitely need a yr12 2021 thread, but thought I’d wait until the 2020 kids finished up 😊

• 2 weeks later...

I hope the VCE kids are all doing ok. DS17 did his final HSC exam yesterday, then spent the afternoon throwing out all his notes and clearing uniforms he no longer needs from his wardrobe.

Everything done even before his first free day!

Advertisement