IGNORED

Co feeding

MissHLH

On the pumping and then dumping milk - when I was pumping for the milk bank I was having to freeze it into their 400ml bottles.

So each pump I’d pump into my sterilized bottles, cool in the fridge then pour the fresh milk onto the frozen layer in the milk bank bottle - pooling the different sessions together.

You can add your milk together this way too. Just make sure you note the first pump date first so you know the expiry for the oldest milk.

Or freeze in icecube trays and when your baby is older you can add the milk to oats or other cereal or into smushed up veg or whatever.

Obviously don’t do these things if it feels too much hassle- the last thing you need is more work. But if the thought of dumping hard earned 10ml or whatever sucks, this could be a use for it?

Good info on pumping here if you haven’t seen it already:

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-info/breastfeeding-and-work/expressing-and-storing-breastmilk

And Kelly mom website is a good resource too.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MissHLH

• Mrs Zee

• Anonymouse

• Lou-bags

Top Posters In This Topic

On the pumping and then dumping milk - when I was pumping for the milk bank I was having to freeze it into their 400ml bottles.

So each pump I’d pump into my sterilized bottles, cool in the fridge then pour the fresh milk onto the frozen layer in the milk bank bottle - pooling the different sessions together.

You can add your milk together this way too. Just make sure you note the first pump date first so you know the expiry for the oldest milk.

Or freeze in icecube trays and when your baby is older you can add the milk to oats or other cereal or into smushed up veg or whatever.

Obviously don’t do these things if it feels too much hassle- the last thing you need is more work. But if the thought of dumping hard earned 10ml or whatever sucks, this could be a use for it?

Good info on pumping here if you haven’t seen it already:

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-info/breastfeeding-and-work/expressing-and-storing-breastmilk

And Kelly mom website is a good resource too.

Yes that's a great idea. I missed the big about tipping it out.

You can also throw any amount into baby's bath. It's amazing for their skin, even a few mls makes a noticeable difference.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Mrs Zee - her sleep is getting better and I really like a gentle approach. It may take longer, but it suits me better. I love the thought of using some milk in the bath. The other day she took only 100ml of 150ml of EBM. That 50ml was a lot of work. So I've frozen it and will use it in her bath today, I'm so happy not to pour it down the sink!

Lou-bags - thanks for the freezing tip, I didn't know you could do it like that.

After my last post my pumping volumes amazingly increased and I'm getting between 30-70ml at a time. Obviously still not huge volumes for some, but heaps for me. So I'm still pumping about an hour after a BF, I'm too scared to stop in case my supply goes down and I stop making enough again. I don't enjoy it, but bubba is getting bigger, so I'll keep at it a while longer.

Sorry for taking so long to reply - I have anxiety and sometimes it gets too much to write replies. But I do read them and appreciate them so much.