IGNORED

Baking chatter

riotproof

I have made these again today, but I recently read that banana peel is edible and adds a lot of fibre to baked goods, so I used two bananas and one peel with the stalk and end removed. Should be interesting to see if the kids discern a difference. They devoured them last time.

https://ohsheglows.com/2014/01/17/banana-bread-muffin-tops/

Baking anything interesting lately?

Oooh they look delicious [mention]riotproof[/mention] , will have to try them next time I have squishy bananas.

I made this a couple of weeks ago for DS’ birthday cake. It was super simple to put together and made the most delicious, moist chocolate cake I’ve ever eaten. We finished it about five days after I baked it and it was still showing no signs of staleness

https://preppykitchen.com/ultimate-chocolate-cake/

Oooh they look delicious @riotproof , will have to try them next time I have squishy bananas.

I made this a couple of weeks ago for DS’ birthday cake. It was super simple to put together and made the most delicious, moist chocolate cake I’ve ever eaten. We finished it about five days after I baked it and it was still showing no signs of staleness

https://preppykitchen.com/ultimate-chocolate-cake/

Oh this looks good. I have to bake a cake soon for my oldest so this would be a good one.

I'm really not a great baker in that I almost never follow recipes. And make my own up at times :lol: I made beetroot, cocoa and blueberry muffins last week, though the kid's didn't eat them as fast as the usual zucchini and cinnamon ones. The Zucchini ones are devoured with great gusto

Does anyone have a fail safe recipe for choc chip cookies? I've stuck my hand up to bake for something thinking I'd make a cake, but I've been asked to do cookies! There's a million recipes on the internet but I want one that's been tried and tested. Thanks 😊

[mention]nom_de_plume[/mention] for a simple choc chip cookie I use this

125g butter, softened

1/3 cup sugar

1 egg

1 cup SR flour

3/4 cup choc chips

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy, incorporate egg. Add sifted flour and mix well, fold in choc chips. Roll dough in walnut size balls (they will spread) and bake for 15-20 minutes at 180C. Makes about 16-20

I also have for for chocolate choc chip cookies if you’d prefer that

I've made them with my no fail biscuit recipe. They are more shortbread texture though then cookie:

1 cup sugar

250g butter, melted

2 cups SR flour

1 cup plain flour

1 egg

3/4 cup choc chips

Mix melted butter into sugar and mix well. Add everything else and mix until well combined.

Bake at 200 fan for 8-12 mins.

I use a 1/8 cup per a cookie (I have a measuring cup for that, that makes the perfect buscuit shape lol, hence I know how much). It makes about 30.

Oh and minty that site? Man there are some lovely recipes. I like the look of this one: https://preppykitchen.com/apple-hand-pies/

My choc chip cookies come from my "all purpose" recipe

1 tin of condensed milk

500g of butter

4 cups of SR flour.

Mix together, portion and bake in a moderate oven until lightly brown.

I turn that basic dough into choc chip, jam drops (with marmalade and Nutella as well), add smarties to the top, mix in cocoa, glace ginger, fudge chunks, coconut, cherries, flavours like rose water or peppermint, rolled them in candy canes, sprinkles, coloured sugar and nuts. Really, what ever you crave at the time. I think I add about half a pack of choc chips to about 15 biscuits. My little 1 inch scope makes about 60 odd, but honestly as there is no egg, I may snack on a *little* bit of the dough raw, so that number isn't accurate.

Oh and because I never updated on the last forum, I made this http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2006/07/chocolate-mud-cake-recipe.html after asking for mud cake recipes in the weekend baking thread. While I should go find who recommended it to me, if you see this, THANK YOU. It was easy to make and really, really yummy. Although I got distracted the first time melting the chocolate and suspected I may have burnt it because it was bitter (not burnt, half the choc I used was 70%), so I turned that mix into cup cakes. Over 30, and they lasted well over a week still being moist and soft. Made a real cake for a present as was the intended purpose, and it was enjoyed by all.

I use the condensed milk chocolate chip biscuits. Easy as.

225g butter, softened

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup condensed milk

3/4 to 1 cup choc bits

2 cups plain flour

1 tsp baking powder

Preheat at 190C

Cream butter and sugar. Beat in condensed milk. Cream mixture until light and fluffy.

Add flour and baking powder.

Add choc chips and mix.

Roll tablespoonfuls of mixture into balls. Place on a lined oven tray. Press to flatten

Bake for 12-15 mins.

My choc chip cookies come from my "all purpose" recipe

1 tin of condensed milk

500g of butter

4 cups of SR flour.

Mix together, portion and bake in a moderate oven until lightly brown.

I turn that basic dough into choc chip, jam drops (with marmalade and Nutella as well), add smarties to the top, mix in cocoa, glace ginger, fudge chunks, coconut, cherries, flavours like rose water or peppermint, rolled them in candy canes, sprinkles, coloured sugar and nuts. Really, what ever you crave at the time. I think I add about half a pack of choc chips to about 15 biscuits. My little 1 inch scope makes about 60 odd, but honestly as there is no egg, I may snack on a *little* bit of the dough raw, so that number isn't accurate.

Oh and because I never updated on the last forum, I made this http://www.exclusivelyfood.com.au/2006/07/chocolate-mud-cake-recipe.html after asking for mud cake recipes in the weekend baking thread. While I should go find who recommended it to me, if you see this, THANK YOU. It was easy to make and really, really yummy. Although I got distracted the first time melting the chocolate and suspected I may have burnt it because it was bitter (not burnt, half the choc I used was 70%), so I turned that mix into cup cakes. Over 30, and they lasted well over a week still being moist and soft. Made a real cake for a present as was the intended purpose, and it was enjoyed by all.

I think ti was me that recommended the mud cake recipe. It's such a great recipe, isnt it?!

I think ti was me that recommended the mud cake recipe. It's such a great recipe, isnt it?!

Yes, it was yours I ended up using. It was more effort than I normally put in (I have a basic dump and mix till smooth cake recipe) but definitely more than worth it. I will definitely be making it again, possibly in cupcake form as part of the baking aspect of Christmas presents.

Again thank you.

I am a banana hater, so while I applaud your effort I would never partake!

I have some mango leather sort of things that DH bought thinking that they looked interesting - they're okay, but I think I may chop them and find a good biscuit to mix them through.

I discovered these Lemon and Ginger biscuits that my mum gave me for Christmas in a fancy tin that we fell in love with and have been trying to emulate ever since.

I use the condensed milk chocolate chip biscuits. Easy as.

225g butter, softened

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup condensed milk

3/4 to 1 cup choc bits

2 cups plain flour

1 tsp baking powder

Preheat at 190C

Cream butter and sugar. Beat in condensed milk. Cream mixture until light and fluffy.

Add flour and baking powder.

Add choc chips and mix.

Roll tablespoonfuls of mixture into balls. Place on a lined oven tray. Press to flatten

Bake for 12-15 mins.

That’s my recipe too... same one my mum and nan made.

I am making a vanilla cake to be made into a horse shoe for the kids birthday parties tomorrow. Going to try Nagis new recipe.

https://www.recipetineats.com/my-very-best-vanilla-cake/

My choc chip recipe is the good old Betty Crocker version as used by Mum

3/4 cup brown sugar,

3/4 cup sugar

1 cup butter - softened (not melted)

1 tsp vanilla

1 egg

2 1/4 cups flour

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp baking soda

cream butter, add sugars and beat till fluffy, add egg and vanilla and beat. Add flour salt and baking soda and stir together. Stir in about 2 cups of choc chips. bake at 190 DegC for 8-10 min.

I'm going to spend the weekend trying out mock cream recipes for our neenish tarts. We are in the US and miss all those bakery sweets and have been trying to replicate a lot of them. These https://www.sugarsaltmagic.com/traditional-neenish-tarts/ Neenish tarts are my favourite but I don't love the mock cream in this recipe so want to try out a couple of different ones. Anyone here got a mock cream recipe that they love?

DP bought a packet of marked-down pizza rolls from the Woolies bakery last week and it's reminded me to resurrect my years-long mission to recreate scrolls/twirls. I've made some decent versions but I really want that outrageously soft and plush bread that you get at Baker's Delight, etc.

Anyway, I made a version today which were nice. Still not quite what I want though.

Have also made the dough for trail mix cookies, which I'll pop in the freezer raw so I can bake off a few now and then when I want them. Hmm, I usually keep snickerdoodle dough in the freezer as well, I just remembered that I'm out; maybe that will be next weekend's activity..

I have some mango leather sort of things that DH bought thinking that they looked interesting - they're okay, but I think I may chop them and find a good biscuit to mix them through.

Delia smith has a crystallized ginger oat biscuit that I have added coconut, white chocolate snd dried mango to instead of the ginger. It was very well received.

My choc chip recipe is the good old Betty Crocker version as used by Mum

3/4 cup brown sugar,

3/4 cup sugar

1 cup butter - softened (not melted)

1 tsp vanilla

1 egg

2 1/4 cups flour

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp baking soda

cream butter, add sugars and beat till fluffy, add egg and vanilla and beat. Add flour salt and baking soda and stir together. Stir in about 2 cups of choc chips. bake at 190 DegC for 8-10 min.

I'm going to spend the weekend trying out mock cream recipes for our neenish tarts. We are in the US and miss all those bakery sweets and have been trying to replicate a lot of them. These https://www.sugarsaltmagic.com/traditional-neenish-tarts/ Neenish tarts are my favourite but I don't love the mock cream in this recipe so want to try out a couple of different ones. Anyone here got a mock cream recipe that they love?

Have you ever tried browning the butter first? I tried this a few weeks ago and the nuttiness was amazing.

I've never attempted to make traditional mock cream, but this one is pretty light:

https://cornercafe.wordpress.com/2011/12/08/mock-cream/

Delia smith has a crystallized ginger oat biscuit that I have added coconut, white chocolate snd dried mango to instead of the ginger. It was very well received.

Thank you. I think these were Crabtree & Evelyn from memory, but it appears they aren't part of the current range. I will track down that recipe.

@cardamom, what do trail mix cookies have in them?

This is the recipe: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/trail-mix-cookies

Though strangely the dough hasn't come together for me today - no idea why?! It always looks like there are too many add-ins for the batter but true to the recipe, after a few hours in the fridge it's fine, but today it's very crumbly. I didn't cover the bowl when I put it in the fridge - lazy/in a hurry - maybe that was it? I've taken it out to come to room temp and see if that makes a difference, if not I'll stir in some more melted butter.

[mention]verucasalt[/mention] Thank's for that recipe - it looks good and simple too - I will definitely try that out.

[mention]cardamom[/mention] Those trail mix cookies look really good - another recipe that I need to try. Glad you figured out what went wrong this time.

Fruitmincepies

@cardamom, what do trail mix cookies have in them?

This is the recipe: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/trail-mix-cookies

Though strangely the dough hasn't come together for me today - no idea why?! It always looks like there are too many add-ins for the batter but true to the recipe, after a few hours in the fridge it's fine, but today it's very crumbly. I didn't cover the bowl when I put it in the fridge - lazy/in a hurry - maybe that was it? I've taken it out to come to room temp and see if that makes a difference, if not I'll stir in some more melted butter.

Ooohhh they look a lot like my mum’s Christmas biscuits, she makes them with lots of nuts and glacé fruit and Christmas spices. So delicious! I want to try this recipe now.

I made dud biscuits a while back when I forgot to add the sugar :lol:

Advertisement