IGNORED

Bircher Muesli

Ozgirl

long story short. My dad has these convoluted breakfasts that he is getting bored with.

He likes porridge and also makes his own muesli of which I would like to attempt to make as Bircher Muesli.

I am not a fan. But as far as I know you soak the muesli in juice overnight and then serve with yoghurt and berries?

Does it matter what juice? Could I use the juice from tin fruits?

Thoughts?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ozgirl

• qak

• Sancti-claws

• Suzy4

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the Carman's bircher muesli mix.

Apple juice - I use Just Juice (in the small popper boxes so I only make a limited amount at a time)

Pour the juice into a tupperware container, add muesli. Leave to soak overnight. Chop (or grate if you prefer) green apple & mix in with greek yoghurt to desired consistency. Sweeten with honey if required.

Easy!

I buy the carmens bircher muesli, it is very tasty and easy to make. Whole box mixed with 1kg of natural yoghurt, 2-3 grated green apples and some honey. Served topped with blueberries and almonds. It lasts as long as the due by date on the yoghurt tub.

I buy the carmens bircher muesli, it is very tasty and easy to make. Whole box mixed with 1kg of natural yoghurt, 2-3 grated green apples and some honey. Served topped with blueberries and almonds. It lasts as long as the due by date on the yoghurt tub.

Also how I make mine but not always with the apple.

Just clarifying the yogurt and fruit is in the morning?

Yes I leave the juice to soak in to just the muesli part overnight. Some people just use water but I find that a bit bland.

And what's the ratio to juice and muesli?

Oh umm yes that's a bit more difficult. I just tried a quick mix and used 200ml of juice and put in a metric cup of muesli and its too wet. I ended up doing 2 and a bit cups muesli to finish the packet + 200mL + topped up with water. You don't want too much liquid there, it has to be soaked up by the morning.

Probably 1.5 parts muesli to 1 part liquid. The Carmans muesli is untoasted so may soak up differently to others. If you just use yoghurt & no juice it would be pretty thick I think???

Just clarifying the yogurt and fruit is in the morning?

Yes I leave the juice to soak in to just the muesli part overnight. Some people just use water but I find that a bit bland.

And what's the ratio to juice and muesli?

Oh umm yes that's a bit more difficult. I just tried a quick mix and used 200ml of juice and put in a metric cup of muesli and its too wet. I ended up doing 2 and a bit cups muesli to finish the packet + 200mL + topped up with water. You don't want too much liquid there, it has to be soaked up by the morning.

Probably 1.5 parts muesli to 1 part liquid. The Carmans muesli is untoasted so may soak up differently to others. If you just use yoghurt & no juice it would be pretty thick I think???

Thanks

Okay, I have had another think, and grumpy old man (my dad... who I want to buy a grandpa simpson "old man shouts at clouds tee shirt for" ) loves porridge, so dont get his soggy complaints. And its not really much of a waste of ingredients. So I got some apple juice.

So I did it, it worked. I guessed well.

but mum had eaten the youghurt I had earmarked for dad to eat it with.

So he had it with tinned mango.

He reckons the difference is that soagy cold oats is not nice like hot porriage! LOL

You really need that yoghurt. I hate soggy food, but Bircher muesli is great. We use loads of grated apple, orange juice, oats, fresh and dried fruit, nuts. I don't soak the oats first, I just bung it all in together, stir then let sit overnight. Yum.

Sancti-claws

hmm - I see his point. Porridge is a warm hug. Soggy muesli is a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Some people like it. Some people are masochists. It apparently takes all kinds.

(I am a grumpy old woman. I love real muesli but apparently, my body has now come to the conclusion that it disagrees. Sometimes rather vehemently. We have had words about it.)

hmm - I see his point. Porridge is a warm hug. Soggy muesli is a slap in the face with a wet fish.

(I am a grumpy old woman. I love real muesli but apparently, my body has now come to the conclusion that it disagrees. Sometimes rather vehemently. We have had words about it.)

I love granola style muesli, with yoghurt - but no sultanas.

I like nuts, and dried cranberry.

Sancti-claws

I love granola style muesli, with yoghurt - but no sultanas.

I like nuts, and dried cranberry.

I don't mind a sultana or two - but they must be aged and in the right condition. Sometimes you really can judge a breakfast cereal by the texture of their 'tanas.

I like dried apricot in things too. Have recently discovered, however, that sunflower seeds are verbotim. Hmm - actually, I might check the ingredient list of my preferred muesli - therein may indeed lie the problem.

Advertisement