• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• riotproof

• Mishu

• Fruitmincepies

• ali-song

Top Posters In This Topic

TheGreenSheep

It’s sounds amazing! Maybe a little slavish for me - but the taste would be a winner. She did address using jam instead of making the raspberry puree in the notes “ If you really want to save time, you could use pre-made, seedless raspberry preserves. Ideally, you’d want to find one without pectin and a high fruit concentration. I definitely prefer the flavor with the homemade raspberry puree”

Fruitmincepies

I’ve done something very similar before, the colour and flavour was wonderful. Definitely worth doing in my opinion. I think I heated the frozen raspberries, so that they released lots of juice, then just pushed them through a sieve to get rid of the seeds.

That looks delicious. I've made raspberry puree before but have not cooked it to reduce it. I think I might give this a go the next time I make cupcakes or a vanilla cake. Yum!

Oh, I would definitely use the real raspberries and not a jam. I made a raspberry and white chocolate mousse cake last year and the fresh raspberry taste was the star. I don't think it would taste the same as jam. Unless you can buy raspberry puree in the freezer section and use that?

Okay. Thanks. This was only a random thought after Dd asked if she could have strawberries on her cake, and I was trying to avoid going out.

I will use the mixed frozen berries I have, though I do have to go out because the birthday candles have disappeared.

Freeze dried berries are much easier! Just add freeze dried berry powder (put the berries in a blender) to regular buttercream - it doesn’t change the consistency much. Freeze dried raspberries are a bit hard to come by, but strawberries are available at Woolies.

Jam would make it too sweet - the tartness of berries would be a perfect addition to buttercream frosting.

Wish I'd known about this for my DS's birthday, he loves strawberry-or raspberry-flavoured anything. Might make a cake just for the heck of it and use this frosting recipe. Will do for afternoon and morning teas!

This was actually extremely good. One thing to note though is to be careful with the sugar. I have to use nuttelex which doesn’t add as much richness as butter would, so I ended up adding a lot more nuttelex to dilute the sweetness. Also the purée is very sweet but much more subtle in the finished icing. Would be really nice topper with fresh berries.

Advertisement