As a guest, you're only seeing half the picture - register now for access to all forums. ×
IGNORED

Apricot jam, in slower cooker?

123tree

Hi Everyone, advice needed.

I have a heap of apricots and was thinking I would make some jam. Sometimes I feel like my jam isn't as nice as what other people make. I was thinking that a slow cooker might be easier than the cooktop.

Has anyone done it or has anyone got a jam recipe to share please.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 123tree

• blackcat20

• Basil

• Laridae

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure it would work, as jam required liquid to be boiled off, and that doesnt happen in a slow cooker.

Apricot jam is pretty easy. My recipe:

1.5kg apricots, quartered

Add into pot with a splash of water and a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice. Simmer till soft then add 1.5kg white sugar.

Stir until is dissolves, then bring to the boil. Boil rapidly for about 15 minutes. Make sure you stir the jam regularly, as apricot has a tendency to stick to the bottom of the pan, and burn. If it does stick, make sure you don't stir these bits up into your jam as they will darken your jam.

When you are happy that your jam has reached setting point, pour jam carefully into jars, and pop the lids on tight. Allow to cool and set.

I dont think you will get the boiling point you need to set the jam via the slow cooker. Am happy to be corrected though. Just made 6 jars on the weekend :)

What don’t you like about your jam?

Usually its too runny. Then one time I cooked it to death and it was kind of hard and gross. I am not really a cooking kind of person.

What don’t you like about your jam?

Usually its too runny. Then one time I cooked it to death and it was kind of hard and gross. I am not really a cooking kind of person.

I was allowed a peek into the secret society of CWA jam makers once upon a time. Some of those ladies had an innate skill in knowing how much sugar the fruit contained and how much pectin it required to set it. Dark voodoo stuff that was. No measuring required.

Do you use Jamsetta or the jam sugar with pectin added? It helps to set the jam.

I’m not a big fan of overly sweet jams and find the equal fruit to sugar recipe to be too sweet. If you have ripe fruit, you can cut the sugar quantity back. You need the jam to boil enough to reach the critical temperature but not too much that it burns or turns to toffee.

Good luck. I’m confident in so many other cooking and baking but jam and conserve making still has me quivering.

Advertisement