IGNORED

Best way to fancy up banana cake?

Daffy2016

DH has requested banana cake for his birthday and I’m wondering if anyone has any tips to make it a bit fancier? He’s asked for vanilla icing rather than cream cheese too, so I’m wary of making it too sweet.

I’m wondering if chocolate ganache in the middle might be too much?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daffy2016

• LemonMyrtle

• Jolly_F

• caitiri

Top Posters In This Topic

Chocolate ganache will be too much. Do a caramel filling, maybe with a tiny pinch of salt.

And swirl the top with the vanilla icing and caramel.

Serve with fresh strawberries, yup, it goes well. I actually made a strawberry and banana cake once when I didn’t have quite enough bananas, it was delicious.

Caramel and banana cake is a match made in heaven.

[mention]Okelydokely[/mention] I totally agree, but he has a weird thing about cream cheese. He doesn’t even like cheesecake.

[mention]LemonMyrtle[/mention] I did think of caramel but I wondered if it would be too sweet. Good to know it works, thank you!

[mention]ali-song[/mention] I haven’t had brown butter frosting before but the recipes I’ve googled look yum. Do you think it would be too sweet if I had a salted caramel filling?

Fruitmincepies

You could add chopped nuts to the caramel, walnuts are the classic pairing with banana. That is if your banana cake doesn’t include nuts.

Yep like a PP I came here to say would he like a hummingbird cake. I made this for a lockdown birthday with vanilla frosting with a hint of lemon and cinammon to take the edge off

PXL-20200916-063631755-PORTRAIT-01-COVER.jpg

When you say fancier, do you mean for presentation or flavour?

For presentation, I would use the requested vanilla icing and cover the whole cake. Decorate with some fresh fruit, flowers, sugar decorations and/or chocolate plaques.

I know this recipe uses cream cheese icing but the simple decoration can work just as well with a vanilla buttercream.

https://livforcake.com/blueberry-banana-cake/

Or, sandwich two layers together with the vanilla icing and pour a chocolate ganache over the top for a really smooth finish.

If you’re looking for fancier flavours, you could think along a dessert idea of a toffee butterscotch pudding type flavours. Have some brûlée or flambé bananas to serve with it/as decorations on top.

Maybe a bombe Alaska riff with a meringue icing which you pour some warmed alcohol (rum flavours work with bananas) over it and then set the whole thing alight. Similar in idea to this:

https://www.saveur.com/baked-alaska-recipe/

I do a lemon glaze icing or a maple syrup icing. Beautiful and not too sweet.

Don’t muck with the banana cake too much. A simple banana cake is my favourite cake. I have great recipes for banana and chocolate cakes and banana and tahini and chocolate cakes and banana and chocolate chunk cakes, but plain and simple banana cake often wins out.

Not Escapin Xmas

Simple banana cake is absolutely delicious. So I would definitely NOT mess with that. To make it ‘fancy’ for a birthday means layers and/decorations. So that’s what I’d do.

• 1 month later...
Advertisement