IGNORED

Big batch cooking for the week - but not the usual suspects

Elfie34

Hi all,

I have been weekend batch cooking for years but am getting sick of the same old spaghetti Bolognese, soup, lasagne, curry, stew, stir fry stuff. I need some new ideas for things I can double the recipe for and eat later in the week.

What are some of your ‘not typical’ Big batch cooking ideas?

Thanks all.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Elfie34

• Silverstreak

• LemonMyrtle

• Hufflepuff

Top Posters In This Topic

Crumbed chicken pieces? Once cooked, reheat in the oven so they stay crispy, then they’re good for lots of things. Serve with veg, in a wrap, with katsu curry (which is also a good one to make ahead on a weekend) load the top while reheating for chicken Parma, dice up and put on a salad or through a stir fry.

Soup, as mentioned, but try something different? I once put left over pumpkin soup through some risotto, it was yum. Chicken soup, Asian style, then you can serve with noodles, with dumplings, as an entree to your schnitzel stir fry.

You mentioned curries, but have you tried biryani? It freezes well. And it’s an all in one meal.

Fried rice - serve with the pre made schnitzel and plum sauce. We always buy an extra fried rice when we order take away and use it later for a stir fry or something. Same with steamed rice.

What about sausage rolls, pies, pizza?

If bored of curry, try switching cuisine? We like massamun, rendang, also Thai red/green. I bought Malaysian Nyonya(so?) to try.

Also if you’ve been having puréed soups, try chunky (like minestrone) or noodle (both European or Asian). It’s easy to get into a rut.

If I’m feeling organized, and making meatballs, o will make a double batch and freeze some. Then they can be baked and used in a different way.

I also do a chicken pesto pasta (I'm cooking it today actually.)

500 gram diced chicken breast, diced green capsicum, red capsicum and spring onion, small bottle of cream, jar of pesto, two rashers of diced bacon (although today I'm cooking a double quantity in my big pot.)

Brown the bacon and chicken, add the vegetables, stir in the pesto, simmer for a bit, add the cream at the last minute. Boil and drain a packet of pasta, add to the sauce, sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese. You can also use tomato pesto, or add sun dried tomatoes. Always a winner here, even fussy DS will tolerate it.

Have you tried Zucchini slice or frittata or quiche? They freeze well.

My kids don’t like zucchini slice which sucks because I do! They eat most other things. Maybe I should try other veg combinations in a frittata

I batch cook every week. This is straight copied from my current freezer list:-

Meatballs

Mac n cheese

Risotto tomato, bacon & red wine

Potato bake

Nagi Sticky chicken

Nagi’s Huli Huli Chicken

Chicken & bacon Pies

Nagi’s Fruit & Nut Rice Pilaf

Slow Roasted Lamb

Beef Pot Roast

Beef Rendang

Nagi’s Chicken Shawarma

Freezer Mashed Potatoes

Beef Burritos

Garlic Bread

Doner Kebab roll

Honey Lemon Garlic Chicken

Chicken Enchiladas

Gochujong Marinated Chicken

Nagi’s Mum Teriyaki Burgers

Fried Rice

Hope that helps!

Meatballs

Mac n cheese

Potato bake

Nagi Sticky chicken

Nagi’s Huli Huli Chicken

Chicken & bacon Pies

Slow Roasted Lamb

Beef Pot Roast

Beef Rendang

Nagi’s Chicken Shawarma

Freezer Mashed Potatoes

Beef Burritos

Garlic Bread

Doner Kebab roll

Chicken Enchiladas

Fried Rice

Hope that helps!

You must have a massive freezer! I have a separate stand up freezer but don’t think I could fit all of that in it...

Meatballs

Mac n cheese

Potato bake

Nagi Sticky chicken

Nagi’s Huli Huli Chicken

Chicken & bacon Pies

Slow Roasted Lamb

Beef Pot Roast

Beef Rendang

Nagi’s Chicken Shawarma

Freezer Mashed Potatoes

Beef Burritos

Garlic Bread

Doner Kebab roll

Chicken Enchiladas

Fried Rice

Hope that helps!

That’s amazing! Do you freeze them in single serves? Or a large tray?

What about

Pasta bake

Lots of different Wraps

Pulled beef/chicken/pork with the shredded meat and sauce separate

Pies

Pizza

Savoury muffins

Quiche

Mornay

Hahaha I don’t quite have all of that in my freezer. Some of those have been eaten already but I left them in as ideas for you.

I have a small chest freezer in addition to the main fridge freezer. Most things are in large plastic zip lock bags. I freeze the meals flat in the bag so they stack up nice & neat. You can fit a lot more in that way. But always defrost with the bag in a large bowl in case of any leaks.

Things like Mac n Cheese & Chicken Enchiladas I have in large foil trays so can go straight into the oven. Side dishes like Mashed Potatoes I portion them into small foil trays and again to reheat can pop them straight into the oven.

It takes time to build up a good stock. I try to make at least 2 or 3 things on weekends for the freezer. But when things get busy it’s amazing how quickly the meals disappear & I have to do a big restock again.

One day I will take a pic so you can see how I do it.

Hufflepuff I aspire to be as organised as you!

This weekend I’m cooking and freezing-

Rissoles

Banana muffins

Cheese and vegemite scrolls

Quesadillas (from the above recipe, thank you!)

Thanks for all your ideas! Some I hadn’t thought off. I think I’m just feeling stuck in a rut so it’s nice to see what the rest of you do. We are not Generally a meat and salad family so cannot fall on that as an easy back up plan on a weeknight.

I made Double batch of a Salmon risotto yesterday, today I think I’ll make a cauliflower soup With some sort of bread and tomorrow an eggplant and ricotta bake. Kids hate eggplant but too bad I love it. I’m eyeing off Nagis palak paneer too but I feel like all we eat is cheese and my cholesterol will go up if I keep down this path! That should get me to Wednesday and then I can raid the freezer for spagbol or Chili

Might make some apple muffins too if I find a good recipe.

Is the batch cooking to save time on weeknights?

There are lots of prep things that can be done ahead of time to speed up meal making during the week. I got the tip off EB originally, to fry off mince, onion and garlic. Cool, the portion and freeze. It’s an easy base to use for so many meals (nachos, bolognese, stir fries) but saves a good 20mins or more of chopping and frying.

I save small portions of leftovers to have with baked spuds for an easy meal. Or in the pie maker or sandwich toaster.

A pressure cooker is also handy and cuts down cooking time. A risotto takes 7mins. I was quite amazed with the quality considering there was no stirring or fussing about.

Is the batch cooking to save time on weeknights?

There are lots of prep things that can be done ahead of time to speed up meal making during the week. I got the tip off EB originally, to fry off mince, onion and garlic. Cool, the portion and freeze. It’s an easy base to use for so many meals (nachos, bolognese, stir fries) but saves a good 20mins or more of chopping and frying.

I save small portions of leftovers to have with baked spuds for an easy meal. Or in the pie maker or sandwich toaster.

A pressure cooker is also handy and cuts down cooking time. A risotto takes 7mins. I was quite amazed with the quality considering there was no stirring or fussing about.

Yep - I work most Weekdays so find that I don’t have time to make anything in the evenings, just heat it up for the kids.

How do you defrost the frozen onion mix? Just whack it into a pan?

I’ve thought about pressure cookers but don’t have one... might look into it

Yep - I work most Weekdays so find that I don’t have time to make anything in the evenings, just heat it up for the kids.

How do you defrost the frozen onion mix? Just whack it into a pan?

I’ve thought about pressure cookers but don’t have one... might look into it

If I’m organised, I defrost in the fridge overnight. Prep any veggies required and leave it in the fridge too for a super quick toss together. If it’s a short notice thing, I just whack it into the pan frozen with a little liquid (tomato passata, water, stock etc) and the lid on. It takes about 5-10 mins on our cooktop to be ready to eat.

I have also par cooked pasta and frozen it. It works better with shapes than spaghetti. This can then be tossed into the sauce from frozen which save the whole boiling water palaver which I found dangerous with little kids and dog who always wanted to hang around me feet.

With the pressure cooker, I would fill the bowl the night before/earlier in the day when I had the time (or measure out and keep in the fridge). Then, as soon as we got home, the bowl could go in to cook without fuss and I could focus on other things.

[mention]Princess Peach[/mention] from memory it was something like this: https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/oven-baked-pumpkin-leek-chicken-risotto/9f7757c1-a0ad-4433-8c2a-d745697e63d0. I didn't use a leek and I think I just roasted the pumpkin on a tray, put all the other ingredients in an oven proof dish and cooked it for at least 20 minutes, or until the chicken was cooked, then added the pumpkin and sprinkled cheese over the top. Hope this helps!

Advertisement