IGNORED

Quick after-sport dinner suggestions

Lou

I need some ideas for those week nights where dinner is served in a rush between after school activities and we don’t have time to sit down together for a family meal. Pasta & bolognese is my default because it’s reliable with my fussy children. But I’m always looking for other clever ideas.

Many thanks

Lou :)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• barrington

• CrankyM

• Kiwi Bicycle

• Jersey Caramel

Top Posters In This Topic

Silverstreak

Potato gems and chicken kiev from the supermarket, serve with salad.

Individual pies or quiches made earlier

Savoury muffins made earlier

Chicken tenders /nuggets and salad

Toasted sandwiches/jaffles, we put leftover spicy beef mince mix in ours with cheese

We go for meats that can be cooked in 10 minutes, and served with salad / bread / wraps.

So BBQ chickens, BLT, nagi's chicken shawarma, steak sandwiches, tacos etc.

We also buy a fancy frozen margarita pizza, and the kids add their own toppings to it. Takes 12 minutes in the oven.

Jersey Caramel

I find those nights best to have rice staying warm in the rice cooker and a curry, stew or casserole keeping warm in the slow cooker. E.g. butter chicken, satay chicken, chicken cacciotore, osso bucco, ragu etc. I put vegetables in all of these (even if not traditional/in the recipe) so it is a one pot deal - everyone can just help themselves as and when they get in.

Tacos/fajitas are a common one here (Wednesday's I'm looking at you). I prep all the vege the night before (cut onions/capsicum - chicken if we are doing chicken ones and put in sealed containers in the fridge) and the kids do the salad stuff (grate the carrot, shred the lettuce, make the avocado mix). Then it's just a matter of cooking the mince or chicken. 5-7 mins in a hot pan at the most.

Alternatively we use the slow cooker.

Kiwi Bicycle

Make your own pizzas using premade bases. Have grated pizza cheese plus other toppings and cook in the oven on a pizza stone. Add a side salad.

Advertisement