IGNORED

Best affordable flours for baking

Spidey_Senses

Spidey_Senses

I am thinking of getting a large bag of cake type flour and a large bag of pastry flour. (like the ones 10kg or so to make it more affordable) Would like to hear what brands people recommend. Thank you.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spidey_Senses

• Mumrocks

• Blondie

• Greenbean

Top Posters In This Topic

Sancti-claws

I wouldn't bake enough these days to justify buying such a large quantity - flour does go stale.

That being said, I used to get Lauke Kangaroo Flour and large quantities of their bread mixes when I was a regular baker of bread.

Spidey_Senses

I wouldn't bake enough these days to justify buying such a large quantity - flour does go stale.

That being said, I used to get Lauke Kangaroo Flour and large quantities of their bread mixes when I was a regular baker of bread.

Thank you for the recc. on the Kangaroo flour, I have seen that one at Coles, will check it out.

Real Noob question here, how long does it take to go stale?

I buy Lauke flour - actually, I buy whatever big bag is on sale. I mostly bake bread and some cakes. I dont have specific flours (other thank rye, wholemeal plain an SR - which I buy in regular sizes)

I have never heard of Lauke Kangaroo Flour - can someone tell me (us!!) why it is better? thanks

Joeyinthesky

I buy Wallaby bakers flour when it’s in special at Woollies - 10 or 12kg bag I think. I’ve never had any trouble with it getting stale or weevils - takes us 6+ weeks to get through it.

nasty_buddha

There are useby dates on them.

If on sale at the supermarket the use by date might be sooner so best to check.

I buy 5kg bags, store in freezer for few days to kill any weevel eggs then decant into air tight containers.

10kg would be hard for me to manage. I have had 2 weevel infestations in my pantry over the years and I do not want another one. Nightmare.

Spidey_Senses

There are useby dates on them.

If on sale at the supermarket the use by date might be sooner so best to check.

I buy 5kg bags, store in freezer for few days to kill any weevel eggs then decant into air tight containers.

10kg would be hard for me to manage. I have had 2 weevel infestations in my pantry over the years and I do not want another one. Nightmare.

Good idea, cant believe I didnt think to check dates on flour :roll:

And also good idea to check for Weevils. I havent had any trouble with 5 kilo bags but perhaps not a good idea to get the bigger ones!

Advertisement