As a guest, you're only seeing half the picture - register now for access to all forums. ×
IGNORED

Your favourite baked casserole recipe

Silverstreak

Princess Peach

Now that is my kind of dessert - oh why do I not have any apples to use!

Cheats hack: just used canned pie apples and dump the sponge on top. Also, it’s delicious with tinned peaches at the bottom, I actually prefer the tinned peach version. 2 tins of peaches drained well is enough.

This was a frequently eaten dessert when I was growing up, my dad would make it, he would dice apples and cook them in the microwave, or use tinned peaches, then put the sponge mix on top and bake it. Quick dessert because it cooks so quickly.

Mmm, I don’t have apples or peaches, but do have apricots!

Well I know what I am making tomorrow night!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Silverstreak

• Not Escapin Xmas

• LemonMyrtle

• Princess Peach

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucrezia Borgia

If you want a rather special recipe, this one is excellent. It’s from the Jamie at home book.

https://robbydogcooks.com/2016/06/07/jamie-olivers-steak-guinness-and-cheese-pie-with-a-puff-pastry-lid/

just phoenixing this thread - i thought today might be a good day for a beef and guinness pie - can i ask - do you blind bake the bottom layer of pastry before adding the meat filling? i checked and the recipe didn’t specify (unless i in turn am blind - but i don’t think it did say either way) - is that just something most pie makers would know to do? otherwise it would get soggy and remain uncooked wouldn’t it ?

Fruitmincepies

If you want a rather special recipe, this one is excellent. It’s from the Jamie at home book.

https://robbydogcooks.com/2016/06/07/jamie-olivers-steak-guinness-and-cheese-pie-with-a-puff-pastry-lid/

just phoenixing this thread - i thought today might be a good day for a beef and guinness pie - can i ask - do you blind bake the bottom layer of pastry before adding the meat filling? i checked and the recipe didn’t specify (unless i in turn am blind - but i don’t think it did say either way) - is that just something most pie makers would know to do? otherwise it would get soggy and remain uncooked wouldn’t it ?

I’ve only ever done it with a pastry lid only.

Silverstreak

Thanks again everyone, so many lovely suggestions. May have to try the apple sponge and the beef bourguignon after I make the no knead bread! Yummy.

Boeuf Bourguignon (Beef Burgundy) cooked low and slow. Serve with garlic-y mash and greens. Freezes well.

https://www.recipetineats.com/beef-bourguignon-beef-burgundy/

This is a favourite in our house. Not this particular recipe, but wondering if we should try it or stick to the one that I know that all the kids love.

I prefer it with mash, but the kids love it in a bowl with buttered toast on the side, after we had it with toast while eating leftovers on night.

Not Escapin Xmas

My no knead bread done in the new casserole dish.

161602184-10157859489227409-4666231894724016282-n.jpg

That looks great! How did it look on the inside? And more importantly, how did it taste?

Silverstreak

That looks great! How did it look on the inside? And more importantly, how did it taste?

It was nice and soft on the inside. Everything cooked through consistently. Had a mild sourdough flavour and a hard crust. The dough itself was sticky and very soft, so it was a little tricky to shape, it did its own thing! Next time I want to do a herb, garlic and cheese one.

Not Escapin Xmas

It was nice and soft on the inside. Everything cooked through consistently. Had a mild sourdough flavour and a hard crust. The dough itself was sticky and very soft, so it was a little tricky to shape, it did its own thing! Next time I want to do a herb, garlic and cheese one.

If you wet your hands the sticky dough doesn’t stick to them :) (for shaping). Good work though!!

Silverstreak

If you wet your hands the sticky dough doesn’t stick to them :) (for shaping). Good work though!!

Aha, cheers for the tip!

Advertisement