IGNORED

Teen Birthday cake

Blondie

I asked my son what sort of birthday cake he wanted and the smartarse said he wanted a lemon/strawberry/orange chocolate cake

So hit me with your best suggestions.

I was thinking of making a choc/orange cake. Altogether, they are not really flavours that go together really, otherwise I could make a marble cake.

Also thinking that I could make an icecream cake with these flavours, with the lemon being more vanilla than lemon!

I am already making two cakes as its a joint birthday the other flavour is red velvet (plus doing dinner (that will be another thread!!!)

Oh, his reason I hear you ask?? I need to keep my cake making skills up to date, they little shyte.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blondie

• Inkogneatoh

• riotproof

• SleepyBear

Top Posters In This Topic

lol omg orange and chocolate are amazing together......

Lol I'd do thin layers of each flavour and put it together with vanilla buttercream ..... that would be gross lol

I saw a recipe for choc/orange with fresh strawberries on top, maybe with a lemon sorbet for those that dont want cake....

Any good recipes for choc/orange cake?

thanks

I'd do a marble cake. Just to a regular vanilla cake, divide it up and add the various flavors and colours to it. Might not taste the best but you get what you ask for!

Inkogneatoh

Are you up to making cupcakes? I can see any two of those flavours going together, with one being the base and the other the icing. I can also see a little of the icing from the red velvet going with the fruit flavoured cakes.

Other than that, the idea of a ice cream cake sounds good. You could even start with a thinly sliced orange cake and then add lemon and strawberry sorbet, drizzled with chocolate.

I thought about cup cakes - I could have fun mix and matching, Im not sure how to display them without buying a fancy cake stand though. Beauty of cup cakes is that I can freeze leftovers for lunch boxes!

Inkogneatoh

Do you have a large platter, or the means to gain a piece of wood (that can then be washed and covered)? Lay them out checker board style, or maybe "write" the age in one colour icing and just randomly place the others around, colour blindness test style. I've been known to use chopping boards before, both plain glass and bright plastic ones.

And a basic cake stand can just be some plates with tallish jars stacked between them to crate levels. Leave them loose or glue for stability.

I would plan one cake with complementary flavours eg chocolate orange cake and use some of the batter to also make a single cupcake. The single cupcake can then be ruined with the extra flavours of eg a lemon icing and strawberry jam filling.

I'd do a marble cake. Just to a regular vanilla cake, divide it up and add the various flavors and colours to it. Might not taste the best but you get what you ask for!

This is my thoughts too. For the orange part, you could add zest. I would probably make a choc/orange bit, then a strawberry bit with strawberry essence and a lemon icing.

Advertisement