IGNORED

Fancy BBQ ideas please

Blondie

Am having 2 significant birthdays (combined) with about 15 adults - family members.

We thought we would have an upscale bbq, not that I know what that even means!!! 3 vegetarians. Most of the guests will be there for the weekend, just to complicate things!

Please, please, please offer some 'wow factor' ideas for the bbq, thanks. I think its all in the side dishes/salads etc?

My bbq knowledge is extremely limited...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blondie

• Silverstreak

• Mishu

• Biscuits

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had people rave about my rice salad. Cool up some brown rice and once it is cooked and drained, stir through some honey mustard dressing (Nagi has a good recipe for this dressing). This seems to flavour the rice really nicely. Then add whatever other ingredients you like -I use tom thumb tomatoes (these are really tiny tomatoes & I like them as you put them in whole & they don’t make the salad soggy), chopped cucumbers, celery, nuts (I used pistachios, slightly chopped), capsicum, dried sour cherries and snow pea shoots. Basically whatever you have to hand. Add a little more dressing and stir through.

I'm picturing a platter of thinly sliced fillet of beef served with seeded mustard and red wine jus on the side. Chargrilled lamb cutlets garnished with mint and served with mint sauce. Panfried Haloumi and field mushrooms for the vegetarians.

A lovely golden crispy spanakopita (for both vegetarians and meat eaters)

2 or 3 gourmet salads, a hot potato dish from the oven in the kitchen such as crispy smashed potatoes, a big tray of scalloped potatoes etc. Big basket of good quality sour dough rolls and sliced baguettes.

Huge cheese platter, fruit platter (fruit is lovely at the moment).

I'm on a diet and I am starving hungry!!!

Silverstreak

For the vegetarians, you could do vegetable skewers (capsicum and onion), barbecued corn, and vegetable / falafel patties.

For snacks, a corn relish cob loaf dip could be enjoyed by everyone.

I'm making an impossible quiche tomorrow, quick and easy to do and you could do a vegetarian version with mushroom, capsicum etc, or one with ham. Not bbq food, but something else to snack on.

Coleslaw is always nice to have at a barbecue and a potato salad with whole mayonnaise, hard boiled and chopped eggs, cheese, spring onion etc

Maybe marinate all barbecued meat the night before e.g. steaks, chicken wings (except for sausages. Coles large packs of sausages are always pretty good, but you could buy a few packets of the fancy pork and herb / beef and herb kind.)

Bruschetta on fresh bread?

Store bought pavlova, dress up with whipped cream, passionfruit and sliced kiwi fruit for dessert and a fresh fruit platter.

Chargrilled veggies and halloumi, served on platters so people can build their own burgers or wraps.

We like:

* slices of eggplant grilled until caramelised and almost collapsing

* slices of onion

* chunky slices of large mushrooms

* chunky slices of pumpkin - par-cook these prior to grilling, or just roast in the oven

* large pieces of capsicum

We also usually have fresh tomatoes (or you could grill) and fresh lettuce or spinach.

Can also have grated or slices of cheese instead of/in addition to the grilled halloumi.

Serve with nice bread or wraps, plus various condiments like pesto or chutney.

Can easily also have a platter of minute steaks or pieces of chicken.

acidulous osprey

If you do an American theme, don't forget the jello salad ;)

I like the theme idea, it brings it altogether and can be easier than not having one.

Silverstreak

If American theme I would do:

Marinated barbecued ribs

Chicken wings

Fried green tomatoes on the bbq

Baked mac and cheese

Vegetable skewers. I forgot, you could add haloumi cheese and mushroom to the skewers. Otherwise, you could stuff mushrooms and bake them.

Here is a salad idea which is really easy and looks lovely. Everyone loves it. You can make it ahead, refrigerate and then dress it up to 20 mins before serving.

Baby cucumbers thickly sliced, grape or cherry tomatoes, halved and avocadoes sliced. Spread these over a flattish platter (a pretty one if you have it), alternating rows of each, slightly overlapping. Make sure the whole platter is covered. Break up persian feta (or any nice feta) and scatter over the salad veges. Season with cracked pepper and salt, drizzle with EV olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Delicious!

My other winning salad is the Changs crispy noodle cabbage salad - recipe is on the packet. Another one that everybody loves. Add the noodles just before serving or they go soggy.

Veges on the BBQ are super easy - corn cobs in their leaves, zucchini sticks and finger eggplants. Make a fresh tzatziki as an accompaniment.

Oh my gosh, thanks for all of these amazing ideas. I will definitely use a lot of these!

thanks you.

Dessert, by the way, will be birthday cake

Princess Peach

This salad is one which is popular at bbq’s here.

https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/pumpkin-spinach-salad/fe8f3331-1eca-47ee-a5d2-6fbac2748e97

Or Nagi’s recipe - https://www.recipetineats.com/roast-pumpkin-spinach-and-feta-salad/

I prefer the dressing in the taste version, but personal preference for the win here.

Goes really nice with lamb

Will the vegetarians eat haloumi cheese grilled on the bbq?

yes, they eat haloumi. 2 of the 'veg' do on occasion eat meat but are very picky so not 'true' veg but I do like to provide for them besides, I love haloumi!!!

Advertisement