As a guest, you're only seeing half the picture - register now for access to all forums. ×
IGNORED

chicken drumsticks to breast weight coinversion

Blondie

As per title, the recipe calls fro 3.15kg or chicken breast/thigh and I have chicken breast (which I will cube and put of skewers for the bbq)

I cant find anywhere how much breast I need - any ideas???

(actually, I bought 7 breast, need to know what quantities of the marinade to use!!!!)

thanks

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blondie

• LemonMyrtle

• eponee

• Lurker

Top Posters In This Topic

also, just wondering how far 7 chicken breast would go (I am vegetarian, and usually do 1 breast for the children and husband to share

LemonMyrtle
3.15kg?

It was a recipe for 4 serves, I increased it to 10 serves which is why its an odd weight

thank you for the replies

Yeah, so, you need 3.15kg of chicken breasts. Can’t you just weigh it?

also, just wondering how far 7 chicken breast would go (I am vegetarian, and usually do 1 breast for the children and husband to share

How many people are you catering for?

For kebabs (skewers) I would do one breast per person depending on their size.

the recipe calls for 3.15kg of drumsticks. I am using chicken breast. I am having a bbq with other meats (sausage, steak, + vegetarians) I am catering for 13 meat eaters. I imagine, given the other meats, that they will not eat one breast each..

The recipe, based on 3.15kg of drumsticks requires x amount of marinade. I need to calculate how much marinade I need based on 7 chicken breasts. I am guessing I need more as chicken breast per volume weighs less that drumsticks, hence

how much breast do I need to substitute drum sticks?

or

how many chicken breasts- per weight of meat - will I need to substitute for 3.15kg of drumsticks (or thigh) with bone?

You're over thinking this.

I'd make double or triple the marinade, using only the amount that sufficiently covers/coats the meat on the skewers. The remaining marinade can then be heated to make a sauce for the cooked meat

If there is only chicken on the skewers, I think that you'd get enough meat from 2 breasts for 3 skewers

LemonMyrtle

You're over thinking this.

I'd make double or triple the marinade, using only the amount that sufficiently covers/coats the meat on the skewers. The remaining marinade can then be heated to make a sauce for the cooked meat

If there is only chicken on the skewers, I think that you'd get enough meat from 2 breasts for 3 skewers

Agree. It’s just to flavour the meat. A little more or a little less won’t hurt. Breast on a skewer would have roughly the same surface area to a drumstick, for the same weight, maybe a bit more but it wouldn’t matter. How much do your 7 breasts weight? I’m guessing maybe 2kg all up? So make whatever marinade the recipe would say for 2kg of drumsticks.

thank you. I am vegetarian, so def out of my comfort zone. I have 2kg of breast. Will do double the marinade. Thanks for the advice :)

thank you. I am vegetarian, so def out of my comfort zone. I have 2kg of breast. Will do double the marinade. Thanks for the advice :)

Also think about the cooking time as it will be different to drumsticks. As breast have so much less fat than drumsticks they can dry out really easily- drives me crazy!

Advertisement