As a guest, you're only seeing half the picture - register now for access to all forums. ×
IGNORED

Leftover lamb reinvention

Fruitmincepies

Fruitmincepies

I’ve got leftover lamb shoulder, it’s a bit tough (despite a very long slow cook). What should I do with it for dinner tonight?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LemonMyrtle

• Fruitmincepies

• Ozgirl

• purpentine

Top Posters In This Topic

Seayork2002

If it was me I would stick it between 2 slices of white bread and butter with a little mint sauce.

Dh would stick normal vegetables with it and gravy cause he has no taste

LemonMyrtle

“Ragout”, put it diced in a saucepan with some fried onions and passata and boil it until it’s soft. Serve on pasta.

Or make a pie, simmer it in some gravy until it’s tender, cool, then bake in a pie maker or make a pie.

LemonMyrtle

(By the way, dinner tonight?? It’s 7pm already. That’s going to be a late dinner. I’m about to have a shower and get ready for bed, lol)

Fruitmincepies

(By the way, dinner tonight?? It’s 7pm already. That’s going to be a late dinner. I’m about to have a shower and get ready for bed, lol)

West coast time dude! I like the curry idea.

LemonMyrtle

Oh yeah, Of course! Don’t mind me, lol.

One of the best curries I’ve ever made was with left over lamb. It was soooo tender once it was simmered for a while. Made it really rich and delicious.

Inkogneatoh

Left over roast gets one of 4 treatments here.

1 - Cut up with left over roast veges, and topped with an egg and milk mixture and cheese to make a frittata sort of thing.

2 - Cut up and tossed with some pasta and a jar of sauce to make a pasta bake. Last time I did it with lamb, I used a pesto style sauce.

3 - Wrapped in puff pastry with cheese or a little gravy or both to make turnover style pies.

4 - Thinly sliced, heated in gravy and served on a hotdog bun.

Left over chicken has a 5th option of risotto as well.

I’d do a curry or shepherds pie.

My mum used to chop the baked lamb and put it into pancakes for the next day.

My mum did lamb fritters too. She hand minced the left over lamb first.

My mum used to chop the baked lamb and put it into pancakes for the next day.

My mum did lamb fritters too. She hand minced the left over lamb first.

Lamb fritters, thats what we called them! I had totally forgotten, 🤗

If it were my mum, she’d suggest a nice lamb curry with apples, sultanas and a level teaspoon of curry powder for 6 people. :lol:

Me, I cook leftover lamb either as part of a pasta sauce - quarter about 6 good sized tomatoes, and roast for about 45 minutes with a bit of olive oil and salt. Blitz them with about 1-2 tsp of balsamic and a small garlic clove them mix the lamb and some feta and black olives through and serve over pasta.

Otherwise, the gravy from this Adam Liaw recipe goes with everything known to humankind and is bloody delicious. Pulled lamb rolls would work a treat and be quick and easy.

https://www.goodfood.com.au/recipes/pulled-chicken-and-gravy-rolls-20191216-h1kghk

Sancti-claws

If it were my mum, she’d suggest a nice lamb curry with apples, sultanas and a level teaspoon of curry powder for 6 people. :lol:

Oh my goodness, its like you were at my childhood dinner table - roast one night was almost invariably curry sometime in the week - only we never got so high faluting as apple! and admittedly rarely lamb, because we were on a cattle property so lamb was a far rarer occurrence.

Chopped up, chopped up roast veg, bit of gravy, frozen pastry and the pie-maker is calling your name here.

Fruitmincepies

Come on @Fruitmincepies what did you have?

:lol: thanks to DS being difficult, we ended up with slices of lamb with some veggies. Tomorrow I’ll turn the bones and remains into a tomato soup with lots of vegetables, some pasta if I’ve got some.

Advertisement