IGNORED

Question about refried beans

Cstar

Hi,

I want to make these as they look really good and easy and I like that I can have them ready in the fridge or freezer.

My family however don't like beans, do you think they would taste the beans here considering they are mushed up and mixed in with all the chicken and spices? What they don't know won't hurt them!

https://www.recipetineats.com/chicken-burrito/

Thanks

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cstar

• riotproof

• Sancti-claws

• Hills Mum Bec

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I must admit they don't look very appetising!

I'm thinking I would add just a little bit of them to help with the juicyness that she talks about.

ClaudiaCosette

If they don't like beans, I think you could just leave them out and the recipe would still be fine (probably better, really!)

With everything else in the burritos, you're unlikely to pick them out as beans. You certainly can't tell they're in there with her beef enchiladas, they just mix in to the sauce.

Refuted beans don’t really taste “beany”, they’re a kind of more a neutral savoury base. With the spices and other textures (especially the chicken and rice), they probably won’t be noticed.

Hi,

I want to make these as they look really good and easy and I like that I can have them ready in the fridge or freezer.

My family however don't like beans, do you think they would taste the beans here considering they are mushed up and mixed in with all the chicken and spices? What they don't know won't hurt them!

https://www.recipetineats.com/chicken-burrito/

Thanks

My kid who doesn’t eat beans eats these burritos.

I buy La Costena refried beans ( they taste good because they have tiny amount of pork fat added... ) or I make my own from ANY old dried beans I have in my pantry https://cookieandkate.com/easy-refried-beans-recipe/

I make it in bulk and freeze in glass jars.

OP, it is worth trying.

I make this filling (chicken and beans or mince and beans) and use in enchiladas ( and freeze arranged enchiladas), I also freeze the filling on its own then use for nachos and as filling for burritos.

I've made this twice and the second time left out the refried beans. With the whole beans as well it was too 'beany' for my kids, and a bit pasty. However the trade off was that it was a bit more liquidy and drippy the second time.

Do they dislike beans just on taste/texture, or because they feel sick afterwards? It's not unusual to feel painfully bloated and gassy after beans.

LemonMyrtle

To me, refried beans still have that powdery texture of beans. Jut without the skins. I love all beans though so not an issue for me.

maybe start with just a little bit.

Would still be tasty even without the beans. Just add extra cheese. Cause you can’t have too much cheese.

Hills Mum Bec

I have made this recipe a few times and you won't know the beans are in there. The beans thicken up the sauce and give the sauce a bit of texture but all the other flavours overpower the "bean" taste. There is no way anybody in my family would eat refried beans on there own but they certainly didn't notice them when I made this recipe.

Sancti-claws

We use lots of refrieds - my daughter loves the la Costena ones, but I find the flavour not quite right - we used the Old El Paso ones (with 2 teaspoons of sour cream stirred through as they are warmed to get a more spreadable consistency)

I haven't tried that recipe - the chicken brew we used last was very watery so may well give it a go.

We add beans but mush some up. The fussy kids can pick out what they think are all the beans, but the mush stays behind and adds to the flavour . Win/win LOL.

Advertisement