IGNORED

Baking Trays and oven trays

sange

I need to buy a couple of more trays as I am having a party on the weekend and want to cook lots of food at once - party pies/sausage rolls, pastizzi, etc, finger food type stuff

I am happy with generic inexpensive, and noticed Coles have baking trays which are lighter, and oven trays which feel more solid and thicker.

Is there a cooking reason for this difference? Do certain foods cook better on a thinner baking tray? Which would be best for cooking finger food on or is it just price/quality of materials difference?

Thanks in advance

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sange

• riotproof

• Lurker

• Feebi

Top Posters In This Topic

I would just buy which ever is cheapest, the difference in heat conduction would be really minimal I think, especially for something out of the freezer section.

Yeah there are differences, but for this purpose it wouldn't matter much.

I find anything on the bottom shelf takes twice as long as something on the top shelf though.

I find things tend to burn more easily on thinner trays. However that really applies to cooking from scratch. It won't make much of a difference for reheating frozen food.

I bought a bad ass roasting pan, nothing sticks to it and it cooks everything from lamb to party pies perfectly.

Baccarat stone something.

I personally like thick, heavy duty trays as I find they cook more evenly and are easier to clean/maintain.

For something like a party where I’d need extra trays for a one time event, I’d just get disposable aluminium trays from Coles.

Silverstreak

I like to buy a heavier tray with raised sides for when I'm cooking chicken breasts, chicken kiev etc and a lighter tray for roasting potatoes, as they cook really quickly, with a crisp finish.

Advertisement