IGNORED

Roast beef and gravy rolls

Trampoline

I have a craving for a good roast beef and gravy roll, but realised I have never cooked roast beef in my life. Usually when we have a roast it’s lamb or chicken or pork.

What cut of beef do I go for, keeping in mind our supermarkets are pretty basic. I want that super tender, shredded kind of roast.

We have a pressure cooker, slow cooker, French oven and roasting pans.

I found this recipe:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.thewhimsicalwife.com/home//2014/02/shredded-beef-gravy-roll.html%3fformat=amp

Does it look like a good one to the roast beef experts out there?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jenflea

• Trampoline

• Ozgirl

• Biscuits

Top Posters In This Topic

Joeyinthesky

A whole piece of Brisket is delicious slow cooked & basted - and will shred.

Many whole cuts of beef won’t tenderise and shred - but are delicious roasted to med rare and sliced thinly - topside, round, sirloin.

A whole piece of Brisket is delicious slow cooked & basted - and will shred.

Many whole cuts of beef won’t tenderise and shred - but are delicious roasted to med rare and sliced thinly - topside, round, sirloin.

I have seen brisket and topside roasts at the shops, will have to try the brisket first. Not sure if I can master the medium rare on my first try 😅

That does look good.

My mind went to American beef drip rolls.

https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a9852/drip-beef-two-ways/

Yum! The second option option looks like a goer for my fusspots

Joeyinthesky

Yum, that recipe you posted sounds delicious!

But I wouldn’t use topside for beef you want to be tender - it’s very lean and gets pretty tough and chewy with long cooking. Roasting to med-rare - a meat thermometer is your best friend 😀

Long cooking cuts are usually more fatty/have more connective tissue that gives you the yummy flavour/texture.

Chuck, brisket or even blade.

This site is good for learning about the various cuts https://www.australianbeef.com.au/know-your-meat/beef-cuts/

Edited by Joeyinthesky

Fruitmincepies

Brisket does really well in the pressure cooker, and shreds beautifully.

If you want rare or medium rare thinly sliced beef, topside is perfect to roast. Look up the time per kg, or get a meat thermometer.

LemonMyrtle

We have never had luck slow cooking brisket. I have a theory that the briskets we get here locally aren’t fatty enough, our cows are not bred for a good brisket maybe? It’s always either tough or dry or both. Never looks anything like what they get and cook in the USA.

I wouldn’t do a beef and gravy roll, I’d do a pork or lamb and gravy roll. Mostly lamb.

I've never managed a decent roast beef, I do great lamb and chickens though.

But now I want to try again! With lots of gravy, in a roll...

DH does slow-cooked beef for beef and gravy rolls. We get a beef roast a bit like this:

gdfwqr5i1kgolunr7z1v.jpg

He cooks it in the slow cooker with half a cup of water for about 9 hours on low, then shreds it with a fork. Makes a gravy (and mushroom and onion separately since the kids don't like them) and we put it on rolls. Really yum!

Everything is better with gravy.

And bacon.

But not both together, right???

Why not?

Meatloaf has beef, bacon and gravy!!

Ok you're right. I always end up questioning myself in these food threads.

But I wouldn't have like, a beef and gravy roll with a rasher of bacon in it too. Don't make me do it :lol:

Everything is better with gravy.

And bacon.

Why not?

Meatloaf is the Hitler of the food world. Absolutely evil.

Why not?

Meatloaf is the Hitler of the food world. Absolutely evil.

Slow down turbo. Really? Did meatloaf commit genocide?

Sancti-claws

Why not?

Ok you're right. I always end up questioning myself in these food threads.

But I wouldn't have like, a beef and gravy roll with a rasher of bacon in it too. Don't make me do it :lol:

The best meatloaf (my mothers that was my grandmothers) had no bacon.

Bacon is in one camp - great on a roll with egg, tomato, onion - even at a stretch sausages.

But gravy - my goodness, good gravy - doesn't need the shade. Let it SING without the bacon trying to steal thunder.

Inkogneatoh

When ever I've done beef in the slow cooker I've used the rolled stuff. Not sure on the cut, but I thinks it's labeled pot roast or rolled roast.

Layer of chopped onions and mushrooms in the bottom, a little water, some garlic, ginger and random herb draw things, meat on top until cooked. I then stick blend the veges with some gravy power/water mix or just flour/water mix, let it cook on high while I slice the meat, then throw the meat back in for a little bit.

If I have spare bacon, it goes in with the onions and mushrooms to be blended.

And now I really feel like roast beef. Or steak. Something solid that once mooed.

Silverstreak

Slightly off topic, I can't be bothered faffing with bacon in my meatloaf, so I put slices of pancetta on top before cooking, very tasty.

Back on topic, I use a rolled roast beef for slow cooking and now I've started finishing it off in the oven, for extra flavour.. Can leave the slow cooker on when I'm out and about, then pop in the oven for half an hour or so. I also do this with lamb.

If I feel like gravy, I also cheat by adding flour to the slow cooker liquid whilst the meat is roasting and by the time it's finished there's lots of gravy. Just have to make sure you stir all the flour lumps out. It ends up being quite a heavy dish though, so I don't cook this too often. But great comfort food.

I don't own a slow cooker, but I'm thinking about it. IF I can find somewhere to keep the damn thing.

I also don't put bacon in meatloaf.

Silverstreak, my pork meatloaf has layers of bacon on the outside. You are meant to free form and later on top, but that’s such a pita, so I put the bacon in a tin and over hang the sides, stuff the filling in and then wrap it over.

Advertisement