IGNORED

Bread maker bread falling apart

Mumrocks

So I bought a bread maker and have been following their recipes. The bread looks and tastes great but when we try to butter it it tears. What am I doing wrong?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mumrocks

• riotproof

• Jenflea

• DaLittleEd

Bread maker bread is way softer. im not sure why.

Its the only bread my parents eat. my EX hated it. And claimed it 'too soft.

So I think the bread is fine. You just have to adjust/use softer butter/spread.

My bakery bread rips if DD buttes it while the butter spread is straight out of the fridge.

A good butter knife makes a difference too, for her anyway!

LemonMyrtle

Yeah, bread maker bread is more cake like than bakery bread. I’m sure it’s something to do with glutens, not enough kneading, not enough rising time, something like that.

Try a bread mix from the supermarket. They can be better. Or try a longer cycle.

Greenbean

The white bread is very soft. I've made some Irish soda breads and wholemeal and they are a bit more dense.

I usually just use mine for pizza dough and hot cross buns etc (and any other brioche type recipe)

tinselfoil hat

I have no idea about this stuff because I don’t eat gluten. But in gluten free baking you add xanthin gum to hold crumbly/tearey things together. I wonder if that might work?

Thanks everyone! Maybe I need to go back to margarine. Tinfoil that’s a great tip, I’ll give that a go.

Good lord don’t resort to margarine. Things are not that bad. Spreadable butter if you must but room temperature butter shouldn’t rip bread. Bread maker bread is softer, so it helps to use a proper butter knife too.

When I make my own butter, I make it spreadable by mixing in 1:1:2 oil:water:butter pinch of salt.

Fascinating! Just mixed in a cake mixer or food processor?

Adding bread improver ( top shelf, above flour in major supermarkets) helps.

So does cutting bread when it is cooled down, better baked in the evening and cut in the morning. We love freshly baked bread but only bake to eat it while hot/warm with winter soups/stews/butter chicken so that the loaf can be cut in half and torn apart, dipped in curry etc

If making brioche/brioche with sultanas or choc chips, wait for 1-2 days before cutting, then it can be cut into super thin slices( and frozen) and then you can spread anything on it without breaking it. It will last 3-4 more days.

Fruitmincepies

Now I really want fluffy fresh bread with lots of butter! Tomorrow I shall buy proper bread and spread it with lots of butter.

• 2 weeks later...

So as an update I’ve tried the xanthan gum and it’s amazing! Super easy to spread hard butter on the bread now. Thanks tinfoil!

• Love 1

Advertisement