IGNORED

Mount Gambier

Mrs Claus

After working summer for 25+ years we have decided this year we are going to go away for 2 weeks. We are considering Mount Gambier but concerned there won’t enough to keep everyone happy (kids are 4,12,14) has anyone stayed there for longer then a few days and found it ok?

Thanks

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lees75

• Hills Mum Bec

• Joeyinthesky

• Mrs Claus

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm I wouldn’t pick Mt Gambier as a place to spend two weeks. A couple of days would cover it and there’s not much around there.

Not sure which state you are in, or if you want to look in Vic, but Warrnambool, Pt Fairy or Portland might provide a greater range of activities?

Hills Mum Bec

2 weeks is a lot of time to spend in Mt Gambier. If I was away for 2 weeks in one spot it would have to be near a beach for swimming & fishing. There are lovely things to see in Mt Gambier but definitely not two weeks worth. We stay in Beachport for a week after Christmas every year and will quite often do a day trip to Mt Gambier. Stay somewhere on the coast that is close enough to do a day trip there is my advice. Plenty of beachside towns within a couple of hours of there.

As a former Mt Gambian dweller, yes two weeks would be a real stretch. I would think five days maximum would do it. There are also other not too far places like Robe, Port Fairy or Warrnambool that you could stay at to split the trip up.

As a former Mt Gambian dweller, yes two weeks would be a real stretch. I would think five days maximum would do it. There are also other not too far places like Robe, Port Fairy or Warrnambool that you could stay at to split the trip up.

Robe is DD14’s favourite place on earth!

I'd have said about five days, too. I've been there a few times, never for long enough, always felt like it needed several days rather than one or two. At my age, recovering from climbing back up from Mackenzie falls takes the rest of the day though.

Leaving there for Nagambie is my only ever experience on the road with a kangaroo - it came out from the bush at the side, we both screeched to a halt, and I swear it stopped only millimetres from the car - it was actually looking straight in the driver's side window at me for a fraction of a second.

Hills Mum Bec

Robe is DD14’s favourite place on earth!

It's also insanely busy and accommodation is so expensive during holiday periods. Much prefer Beachport.

I really like Mt Gambier, but can’t imagine staying there for 2 weeks. I would think a week max.

I was thinking the same. It's a lovely part of the world but 1 week rather than 2.

Great, thanks for the feedback. Open to other ideas. We are coming from a beachside town in Victoria so beaches not necessarily a ‘must have’ don’t really want to drive more then about 10 hrs (2 hours for us to get to Melbourne so ideally 6-8 hrs from Melbourne) 2019 we did 5 days in Canberra and then 5 days in Sydney. We all loved Canberra and could easily have stayed longer

What about Halls Gap? It’s also busy in holiday period but will have quietened down with school going back. A variety of things to do there might suit your kids range of ages, and day trips within a hour or two for variety?

Has a great little zoo, lots of waterfalls/hiking/bike tracks, lake, indigenous cultural centre Brambuk, mini golf, pool etc

The caves at Naracoorte are well worth visiting (not sure of the distance from Mt G). I absolutely love the Glenelg river so I would visit Nelson (on the Vic border and the mouth of the Glenelg River) and the national parks north and south of the river on the Victorian side. There are some great walks. And Princess Margaret Rose caves are worth a visit. But yes - I would visit Robe and the Coorong. Although this may be getting too far away.

Advertisement