IGNORED

East Gippsland, what town to stay? Things to do?

TheGreenSheep

TheGreenSheep

Quick help required. We are planing a short stay in east Gippsland in January. Where should we look to stay - checked there are a few accom options available for the dates I’m looking at. We haven’t taken the kids 11 & 14 yo boys before and just want to see what’s there, maybe nice meal, beach, relax, explore, home. I need to book dog kennel and accom ASAP!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Over and out

• TheGreenSheep

• LemonMyrtle

• GrannySmith

Top Posters In This Topic

That’s a huge area. Which part of east gippsland? Where are you coming from?

January will be packed, possibly fully booked already. Not even exaggerating. This year people will be holidaying locally.

I love Metung, cause it’s quiet, but it will be booked out.

Best bet may be Lakes Entrance as there are a lot of accommodation options, and lots of camping grounds.

Further east than the lakes, I can’t help you, haven’t been and I’m not sure how things are after the fires.

Lakes Entrance is the most obvious, but it depends what you want.

Marlo and Cape Conran are my favourites, no where is better in the world than there. But it does depend on what type of accommodation. There are great river (it seems more like a lake) beaches, and the surf beach at Conran is like no other surf beach. PERFECT for young kids, unbelievable safe surf beach.

https://www.facebook.com/visitmarlo is the Facebook of a woman who does great photos and community information for Marlo. There is not many food options, although the pub does great food and has the best best best views.

I didn't answer what to do.

Mallacoota is also lovely, it is that much further away.

Bairnsdale has lots more accommodation, but you are not AT the beach. So from Bairnsdale you can go to Lakes, Metung, up to Buchan to the Buchan caves, down to Paynesville. So Bairnsdale is central to everything.

There are also boat trips from Metung, Paynesville and Lakes that you can go on around the lakes. There are lots of dolphins etc in the lakes, so doing a boat thing for a time is also pretty nice.

Metung is an exceptional village to visit, nothing exciting as such there, but a great pub for lunch or dinner.

Mallacoota is my favourite, great fishing, surfing but not a lot else there to do and a long way from anywhere else.

Metung is also lovely, Lakes entrance has more things to do though. Like the little duck paddle boats, I always think they look like fun! Also mini golf and great beaches, fishing and lake tours. The area between Bairnsdale and Lakes is lovely too, Swan Reach etc, not a lot to do of the top of my head though. I second Buchan Caves.

TheGreenSheep

Wow, thanks so much for the valuable info. I have done a quick booking in Paynesville that is free cancellation until 26 December, so I don’t feel hemmed in right now. COVID has certainly made me risk averse when it comes to booking and losing money on holidays. I reckon we should be able to use it as a base to see Metung and explore northwards and inland from there.

I do think that the impact on tourism is still being felt, we had a few options to choose from which sure surprised me! Now to plan an itinerary. So far Bairnsdale, Metung and the beaches, Buchan caves, Conran, I’m a little excited I think! Happy for more suggestions

If you like a bit of a hike, go see the Den of Nargun. It's beautiful and well worth the walk to get there.

Paynesville is lovely and from there you can get the ferry across to Raymond Island and have a bit of a poke around there too.

If you like a bit of a hike, go see the Den of Nargun. It's beautiful and well worth the walk to get there.

Paynesville is lovely and from there you can get the ferry across to Raymond Island and have a bit of a poke around there too.

Oh god, memories,

School grade 3 or 4 day trip to Den of Nargun. You are right though, it is a lovely place to visit.

Must have been grade 3 I think.

ETA: Take the anti mozzie stuff if going to Raymond Island.

Advertisement