IGNORED

Post a photo of where you're from

eponee

Hills Mum Bec

The cinema in the town I grew up in. It only ever showed 2 movies at a time and intermission was in every movie so you could go get snacks and go to the toilet. Everyone had their birthday parties there or at Bushland park.

a82e405770515702679bfcc14eeabac6.jpg

Now the cinema only shows one movie about once a month on a Friday & Saturday night, intermission has gone since they converted to digital projector. Unfortunately Bushland Park was decimated by fire last year and is still looking very black & sparse, the playground is gone and the BBQ shelters but the community hall is still standing.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ernegirl

• Wolf87

• wiglet

• Mocha

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The cinema in the town I grew up in. It only ever showed 2 movies at a time and intermission was in every movie so you could go get snacks and go to the toilet. Everyone had their birthday parties there or at Bushland park.

a82e405770515702679bfcc14eeabac6.jpg

Now the cinema only shows one movie about once a month on a Friday & Saturday night, intermission has gone since they converted to digital projector. Unfortunately Bushland Park was decimated by fire last year and is still looking very black & sparse, the playground is gone and the BBQ shelters but the community hall is still standing.

I know about bushland park because I went to see the damage after the fires. I grew up opposite the Lutheran retirement home. Our yard backed onto the old onkaparinga mill site before the redevelopment of it. We played in the old abandoned buildings and cricket between the buildings. I still run into heaps of people from the town and also from Charlston. One of my fav things to do was ride my bike down the steep hill near the abboitoir or down wattle street and try not to crash into traffic.

To reiterate what I said in another thread, I'm jealous of everyone who has easy access to the ocean beaches. Sigh.

/pity party

Although we lived in the middle of nowhere, a days drive from the coast, we were very fortunate as both of our parents were school teachers and we we could visit relatives most school holidays, even though mum and dad usually had to take school work with them. Luckily our relatives still lived in the coastal town that my mum grew up in on the North Coast and we spent most mornings at the beach.

I love the peace and serenity of sitting by a river in the middle of nowhere, but our plans are to move to the coast (if we can still afford it) once our kids have finished school.

Random photo from the internet on where I grew up.

BN.jpg

Images from the internet of where I current live.

beach.jpg

bsat.jpg

Got to say gosh I miss the green and actual mountains. Everything is soooooooo flat where I live.

Public domain pic of the countryside I grew up in, about 11km from our house.

"And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,"

IMG-0939.jpg

That looks like a road I drove up and down during our holidays early last year before covid!

There's a lot of winding roads around and not much happening.

I read a great quote recently that sums up my relationship with home: "One always begins to forgive a place as soon as it's left behind."

I read a great quote recently that sums up my relationship with home: "One always begins to forgive a place as soon as it's left behind."

That is a bloody awesome quote. Where are you from? If too identifying no worries 😊

Where I spent my junior years

images.jpg

Where I spent my teenage years

Mandurah-Foreshore-4449749581.jpg

Where I have been ever since

images-1.jpg

(None of these are my images...and yes, complete water baby!)

That is a bloody awesome quote. Where are you from? If too identifying no worries 😊

[mention]Wolf87[/mention] I was going to say exactly the same thing.

[mention]Ernegirl[/mention] I absolutely adore lanes like that - it was one of the joys of visiting Wales and Ireland. I know Australia's regional cities being better connected make for safer roads, but I do miss going through country towns in Autumn and Spring and seeing the changing of seasons, which is often lost on the highway.

Where I spent my junior years

images.jpg

Where I spent my teenage years

Mandurah-Foreshore-4449749581.jpg

Where I have been ever since

images-1.jpg

(None of these are my images...and yes, complete water baby!)

All these ocean photos... really envious!!!

Love the quote!

Haha, not a million miles away from the oldest pub in Ireland 😉

@Wolf87 I was going to say exactly the same thing.

@Ernegirl I absolutely adore lanes like that - it was one of the joys of visiting Wales and Ireland. I know Australia's regional cities being better connected make for safer roads, but I do miss going through country towns in Autumn and Spring and seeing the changing of seasons, which is often lost on the highway.

Potholes and bogholes galore once, but we're in the 21st century now. Very beautiful but Australia has her jewels too 😊

Haha, not a million miles away from the oldest pub in Ireland 😉

Haha and the picture of the town I posted is home to the oldest pub in Northern Ireland! Haven’t seen much of Southern Ireland, a big regret not taking advantage when it was on my doorstep!

I just wanted to see if your Ernegirl tag had anything to do with Loch Erne 🤗

Advertisement