IGNORED

Sydney - Broken Hill (faults in our plan?)

Seayork2002

We are talking about hiring a car to drive from Sydney to Broken Hill then leaving the hire car there and flying or catching the train back?

As a kid I have been to Broken Hill quite a bit but everyone I know now that does it has their own car/landrover/Oka to do it

is there any faults people can see to this? thanks

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seayork2002

• Bornagirl

• Sugarplum Poobah

• Bethlehem

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the hire car k’s- some limit how many you can do in the trip. It’s all tarred so that’s fine if you just want to do the broken hill township. You’ll need to check the conditions on the car for the dirt roads if you want to go a bit wider.

Love the plan. Stop in at Cobar and Dubbo on your way.

Check the hire car k’s- some limit how many you can do in the trip. It’s all tarred so that’s fine if you just want to do the broken hill township. You’ll need to check the conditions on the car for the dirt roads if you want to go a bit wider.

Love the plan. Stop in at Cobar and Dubbo on your way.

Thanks, they are the 2 places we thought of we may stop over in, I think it was Cobar where I stayed where the pub was haunted when I was a kid, I am not usually a 'ghost' believer but that place freaked us out it was fun though

If you've got cash to splash, have a look at a night at the Dubbo zoo. We're thinking of doing that in July.

(Melbourne, Canberra, Dubbo, Melbourne though.)

I'm sure you're up with all of this, but any car I've hired to date has been unlimited Ks, but the one we're hiring next month Kununurra - Darwin allows 100k per day so we will be up for extra when we return the car, given we've got it for seven days, and it's 850k door to door.

Check the hire car policy re not dropping it off at the same location you hired it from. It wasn't broken Hill but I know one company we used years ago charged an exorbitant fee to transport the vehicle back to its "home". I think it was a flat fee plus $1 per km or something.

Check the hire car policy re not dropping it off at the same location you hired it from. It wasn't broken Hill but I know one company we used years ago charged an exorbitant fee to transport the vehicle back to its "home". I think it was a flat fee plus $1 per km or something.

That can certainly get tricky. These days though, on the internet, you can't actually book anything like that if they don't allow it, and if they do, the price is listed. We had that issue booking in Kununurra and leaving it in Darwin. Although there are a handful of car hire places in Kununurra, including Avis and Budget, only Thrifty would let us drop off in Darwin. I called the others and both said no one way hire for that route.

It's costing us double for seven days Kununurra - Darwin ($1000), as it did for Newcastle for the same period. ($500). Same car.

$300 of that is the one way fee. Steep, but not a lot of alternative if we want to drive that route. If Thrifty had not been prepared to do one way, we'd have flown to Darwin and missed what's on the way, so I figure the $42 per day to be able to drive and see those places is worth it - for us.

Advertisement