IGNORED

Holiday snob or holiday bogan

BKK

bogan all the way here - I prefer my travel to be of the road trip variety so staying at a different place every night (maybe stay two nights if we have a lot to see) so I really don't care what my room looks like as long as it's clean. I've never understood the appeal of holidays where you just sit around doing nothing at one place for any length of time - can do that at home for free. I want lots of things to see and do.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bornagirl

• Seayork2002

• Fruitmincepies

• YTT1

Top Posters In This Topic

Snob here :)

If going with family then a minimum of 3 star type accommodation, definitely not caravan park or camping.

I grew up going to a beach side caravan park each Christmas, 6 of us in a small van - hard pass.

If I am going away with friends then it is 5 star. It is usually inner city, and high up. lol

Yeah, see, we would go crazy staying in an actual van, but when we stay at caravan parks, we stay in 2/3 bedroom cabins. These things have an ensuite plus full bathroom, 6 seater dining table, full sized fridge, dishwasher, etc.

They are expensive though.

bogan all the way here - I prefer my travel to be of the road trip variety so staying at a different place every night (maybe stay two nights if we have a lot to see) so I really don't care what my room looks like as long as it's clean. I've never understood the appeal of holidays where you just sit around doing nothing at one place for any length of time - can do that at home for free. I want lots of things to see and do.

I don't mind a day or two like that, and I usually book a few days extra annual leave at the end of a holiday to chill at home. But in general yeah I don't see the point of spending money to be somewhere and then not making the most of that place.

StillFreddiesMum

We didn't do much travelling when I was a kid or when DH and I were child-free. Once we had the kids I discovered a couple of things - a family of 4 staying in a 1-room open plan accommodation is nuts, esp portacot in the corner, toddler in the bed, and Mum and Dad trying to watch TV in the same room = not very happy family !

We haven't been on holidays for a few years now - we did a trip to Dubbo and then a trip to Orange a few years back. Loved both places and I think part of it was (for both trips) I organised to rent an actual "cottage' - so we had a kitchen, a laundry, there were 2 bedrooms - the kids are happy to share. The last few places we stayed at in Canberra were hotels and even though they were very nice - esp the breakfast buffet - I missed having a kitchen / laundry / area so I am definitely a fan of holiday houses / cottages / serviced apartments esp if you are staying more than a few days. I also like if the place is clean and quiet - hotels can be very noisy.

Jane Jetson

Bit of both, really. I'm deeply suspicious of AirBnB (too many stories about hidden cameras etc to feel comfortable) so I won't do that, and I also hate camping with the fire of a thousand suns, and refuse to do it, so there goes that cheap option. But I find from good four-star on, there's really diminishing returns in the hotel room itself (most of my travel has been for business, so I didn't pay for the really good places!)

What we tend to do is go in the off season (it's COLD in Paris in late January) which works as I dislike summery weather and am quite happy rugging up and dealing with snow. I'd much rather deal with snow than long lines to get into things. The downside is that sometimes things are closed.

The upside is that if we avoid crowds. If we go down say, the south coast, we avoid the usual Canberra migration and all the crowds, and I can enjoy the beach the way it's meant to be enjoyed: in the cold, under a grouchy overcast, rugged up sitting on a picnic blanket reading and sipping on spiked coffee in a Thermos. Or on the deck of a caravan park cabin if it's raining. The place we go has the cabins right across the road from the beach, and it is Best Place to enjoy rain at the beach. No other bugger wants to be there, so we have the place almost to ourselves.

When flying we also go the cheapy option, find serviced apartments better than hotels, etc as we can cook. Nothing wrong with kebabs from the local round the corner either, rather than going out for dinner.

Total snob here.

Would never consider staying at an AirB&B and no way would we camp, caravan park or anything similar.

No self catering here either. I go on holiday to not cook or clean. Happy to stay in a Serviced Apartment but won’t use the kitchen for anything more than drinks & nibbles.

Sugarplum Poobah

<>

Never thought bogan necessarily = cheap. Because I've seen some of the clientele here https://www.palazzoversace.com.au ;)

And all camping and caravanning is bogan? That's like that epic 9EB thread where all coffee tables were declared bogan.

Maybe budget versus luxury?

I like quirky and unusual places. I've stayed in really lovely places and real dives. Very fond of old-fashioned guest houses for the ambiance. Not so keen on massive hotels.

We would probably fall on the "snob" end as we like to relax on holidays and even when overseas and spend more time sightseeing, having a comfortable room to come back to is really important to us. We have a king bed at home, so queen is minimum and we don't want kids in the same room as us - that's not a holiday!

However, we're very lucky that until recently a friend was in management of one of the big serviced apartment hotel chains so would get us staff rates plus usually an upgrade to a nicer apartment. Similarly for travel in Asia, DH's cousin can access various discounted rates through her work. So we holiday in a style that is well beyond what we'd be willing to pay if we were paying standard advertised rates!

Seayork2002

<>

Never thought bogan necessarily = cheap. Because I've seen some of the clientele here https://www.palazzoversace.com.au ;)

And all camping and caravanning is bogan? That's like that epic 9EB thread where all coffee tables were declared bogan.

I like quirky and unusual places. I've stayed in really lovely places and real dives. Very fond of old-fashioned guest houses for the ambiance. Not so keen on massive hotels.

I took the words bogan and snob to be a light-hearted joke not and existential crisis meeting in boganism

Total snob here.

Would never consider staying at an AirB&B and no way would we camp, caravan park or anything similar.

No self catering here either. I go on holiday to not cook or clean. Happy to stay in a Serviced Apartment but won’t use the kitchen for anything more than drinks & nibbles.

Whereas I find serviced apartments about as interesting as a beige wall. Which they usually are.

Good thing we're all different!

<>

Agree on quirky. I don't do beige at home, I'm not interested in paying for it.

ETA: Which has nothing to do with whether it's a tent or a five star hotel. On trip advisor it's not uncommon to see people say 'I only stay in Hiltons' and I wonder why they bother to travel if they've zero interest in the locality.

Fruitmincepies

[mention]Bornagirl[/mention] funny about the beige! While serviced apartments are super boring, if they are the option that hits the sweet spot of what we need/location/price, well we will go with that.

@Bornagirl funny about the beige! While serviced apartments are super boring, if they are the option that hits the sweet spot of what we need/location/price, well we will go with that.

Oh I've done the same thing myself, especially with kids, but all else being equal, i'd choose quirky over beige any day of the week. It's why I rarely stay in hotels. I spend my money on experiences that others might reject as too expensive (like our cradle mountain helicopeter one hour flight) but for the same money would choose somewhere individual over bland any day of the week.

I must say that's been a thousand times easier since travelling as a couple, compared with travelling with kids, one of whom had multiple intolerances, so everything revolved around that when she was with us.

Oh most definitely a snob.

I'd sooner pay for 4 or 5-star accommodation and then save $ on other activities. I'm happy with free activities like hiking, the beach, walking around cities, free or inexpensive art galleries and museums. I also like 4/5-star self-contained accommodation where we can cook our own meals.

I also prefer to pay more for my flights or other transport in order to travel in a way that suits me e.g. no very early morning or late night flights, direct flights only etc.

I don't do camping (glamping is allowed) or holiday parks unless there is no other option.

My budget is somewhere in the middle but I lean towards holiday snob. 90s spent working in the travel industry when great perks were a thing spoilt me a little.

When we holiday, we don’t eat out much. So the one requirement, on top of a bedroom each (3), is a proper kitchen so we can do breakfast and dinner in our room/apartment. This might change as the boys grow and our activities change.

<>

I took the words bogan and snob to be a light-hearted joke not and existential crisis meeting in boganism

Agreed title came from the travel guides “holiday snobs” and could not come up with a witty opposite.

Our next holiday my son and I are staying in a caravan park cabin as I want him to have all the extras of the caravan park resort.

Normally our budget is about $200 per night. I often travel with my elderly father and asd brother. A washer dryer is a must as is cooking facilities.

We are meant to be going to Europe. My hotel choices are apartments when there is 4 of us and just basic and clean when there is just my son and I.

Following my inner bogan in Europe I tend to like to be in the heart of the old towns but near a McDonald’s (DS) and with washing facilities either in the room, hotel or near by.

In Budapest I am going to stay a a Mercure property. Small rooms but clean. I also look for free wifi and a 24 hour reception.

My main thing is security and it being clean. I’m not a b&b type.

Yes I am a well travelled bogan.

Little Bear

Have never left the country. Have only been to Vic, NSW and Qld in terms of Australian States and Territories. Due to finances we haven’t had a holiday in the last 4 years I think it is now. I did want to go to Tasmania but that’s become a ‘bucket list’ item

When I was young and single - staying in a cabin/villa at a Caravan park (so long as it had an ensuite) was fine and was usually for 1-3 nights maximum.

When I met DH we did the occasional weekend away at a cabin that usually had 4 stars (kind of like a mini apartment in terms of having a small kitchen with mini fridge and microwave/toaster/kettle, queen size bed, TV and DVD Player, maybe a spa or log fire place), but with forest/mountain views.

Now we have kids we’ve done:-

* Apartment in the city once, Apartment on the Gold Coast once (with kitchen, bedrooms, lounge room, tv)

* Self contained accommodation with internet access

* Self contained accomodation now requiring laundry facilities after a holiday where 3 of the 4 of us ended up with a vomiting bug and no way to clean the bedding. SCA near a Convenience Store/BP is an added benefit.

* Kids are at an age now where sharing a big bed in a second bedroom is not an option - so we’ll be needing 3 bedrooms whenever we holiday next.

I don’t like camping. Dirt, mess, insects, not great cooking or washing up facilities (and I don’t want to cook and freeze a week ahead to re-heat when we’re away). Only had cold water showers or a swim in a freezing river as body cleaning options when I have camped as a young child. When I go on holidays I like my own space. DH and I differ in that if I travel 3 hours to go somewhere for 3-4 nights I want to go out and see things/do things - He’s happy to do the same as he does at home.

We haven’t been away for more than 4 nights ever. 3 out of 4 family members have special needs and it’s a challenge just to be in another space usually. I do like being able to give kids the normal breakfast/lunch they are used to eating. We have take away or a restaurant meal for dinner. I also like being able to do a load of washing and putting it through a dryer the night before we come home and then not having to face unpacking and washing when we get back after a 4 hour car trip. Haven’t done a plane flight with the kids - last time it was mentioned both of them were petrified that the plane might fall out of the sky.

Okelydokely

I am a self contained apartment kinda gal... not sure what that makes me - I like to be comfortable but I don’t need all the frills. Only for a very special occasion would I do a five start place.

I do need to be near water in some capacity though, be it a pool, ocean, bay, spa etc... that’s a bit of a non negotiable for me.

Snob here, I try to get as good as I can for a good price. DS and I like to chill in the room if we are staying a while and it’s nice to be comfortable as well as have a bit of room

Total snob here.

This is us however before the COVID we would regularly (once a year) stay in our favorite Airbnb at Palm Cove

Susan StoHelit

Well we willingly spent threes months living in a camper trailer with three kids (road tripping through qld, Nsw and Vic). Sounds like some in this thread would need the smelling salts after that!

For us it’s trip dependant. I’ve done everything from hiking in with what we can carry on our back to luxury resorts. Sometimes having luxurious surroundings is the point of the trip, otherwise I’d rather explore and experience places that you don’t get to see otherwise.

Dadwasathome

Although we don’t camp, we enjoy hiking. And accommodation otherwise is fine if clean - but we do prefer at least two bedrooms. As a family now we’re all too tall to cope with two double beds in a room (standard in some places).

Our holidays have often included a road trip of some description, with nature and cultural stuff of some description. Not sure if that’s bogan or not.

Advertisement