IGNORED

Holiday snob or holiday bogan

BKK

I am just trying to work out accommodation options. Do I want to spend more on accommodation and have more money for activities or do I want to stay somewhere really nice and do less?

Are you an holiday snob or holiday bogan?

I feel that I would like to be a holiday snob but my budget is much more holiday bogan.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bornagirl

• Seayork2002

• Fruitmincepies

• YTT1

Top Posters In This Topic

We save our flybuys/rewards points and use them on our holidays for food/fuel. It frees up money for more activities but the kids do get sick of eating lunch from Woolworths every day

In terms of accommodation we tend to go the cheapest without compromising what we want ie. 2 bathrooms, 3 bedrooms etc

Fruitmincepies

When we were younger the cheap accommodation was the way to go. As we get older our list of accommodation needs grows - but we usually get a house/villa rather than a hotel room. Our number one need seems to be space, number 2 is the ability to prepare food the kids will actually eat.

I think I’m middle of the road? I wouldn’t stay in a caravan park, but I’m a bit of a cheapskate when it comes to hotels. We do prefer to limit our eating out when on holidays, partially due to young kids and partially as it’s such a huge cost saver.

Seayork2002

Both at times, but I never see the point in paying more for hotel just because it looks pretty.

Yes for location, facilities, room service but as long as the bed is comfortable, tv works we get a kettle it is all we need so I am not paying more for better curtains and art on the wall

I am happy to have share bathrooms if the place is quirky (has its own ghost)

I love cabins in caravan parks nothing to do with price I just love them or staying in pubs and the outside motels it is just fun to me

I think I’m middle of the road? I wouldn’t stay in a caravan park, but I’m a bit of a cheapskate when it comes to hotels. We do prefer to limit our eating out when on holidays, partially due to young kids and partially as it’s such a huge cost saver.

A lot of caravan parks are like resorts these days with prices to match.

A comfy bed, no bed bugs and reasonably clean is all I ask. I don't like the beige nature of hotel rooms on the whole, although I appreciate there are places that are spectacular (I'm thinking of that clifftop room in Taormina). I do prefer self catering - at least a microwave and a gas jet as we're just not big eaters, and sometimes just want something simple.

I use places like backyard granny flats/converted garages on airbnb a lot, because they're all so different (and some come with animals!).

I'm happy to spend the money we save on accommodation, on plane and helicopter flights though, which can cost a month's mortgage. And local wine.

Hills Mum Bec

Definitely a holiday bogan. For family holidays it's usually in our caravan (which is by no means a flash one) and if I'm going away with just the kids then I will usually use Airbnb or Stayz to find something that looks neat & tidy but not too expensive.

Holiday snob to some extent. I don’t see much point in going away to be less comfortable than at home!

Tend to prefer apartments these days, especially when the kids are with us. Being able to do basic toast in the morning when they wake up too early is very necessary!

Holiday bogan although with age I have more needs than I did when young and fit.

My favourite holiday is in Seminyak in Bali...can't get more bogan than that.

MintyBiscuit

If it’s all of us we tend to look at Airbnb type accomodation, or serviced apartments. So midway I guess?

On the odd occasion I have a night to myself or DH and I have a night away, we are snobs. I want something far removed from my day to day so it’s easier to switch off. Deep soaking bathtubs, big cushy bed, delicious room service and ideally a nice view.

GrannySmith

Bogan, would like to be a snob but I’m just too tight to allow myself to be. Although we did splurge on our elopement/honeymoon, but I’m not sure if that counts.

Id like to be more of a snob but in the past it wasnt an option. I havent had many holidays, but just as happy in a cabin at a caravan park, or motel as a nice hotel. Im more about the activities though in future will probably spend a little more for comfort. Its all a step up from the tents and lack of toilet facilities we had on trips as kids.

Bogan. Don’t care what the room is like, only going to sleep in it!

Would much rather be out doing stuff than hanging around a fancy hotel

Definitely a snob, I love 5 star (,but don't get it often enough) but happily stay in a van park, but not camping. I used to love camping but my bladder+back insist on an inside toilet!!!!

I don't like stress. I like comfort and clean but I don't need frills... so like 3 star? Not bogan, but not crazy, either.

We tend to do both on a big overseas holiday if moving around a lot and do one great hotel then one not so great one (usually for the shorter stays). The better ones have more facilities which sometimes saves money, too.

In Australia, we just go middle. Stayed at our first caravan park as adults last year (in a cabin) and kind of loved it- especially being able to go and play easily, so that might be our thing for a few years.

In the middle I guess. I need my accommodation to be clean and without shared toilets, so I don't camp but am OK with a cabin in a caravan park.

Advertisement