As a guest, you're only seeing half the picture - register now for access to all forums. ×
IGNORED

Noosa/Sunshine Coast recommendations

alchetta

Hello! So DH is turning 40 in a couple of months and I'm contemplating a long weekend away for the family, which is just the two of us and 4 year old DD.

Thinking Noosa/Sunshine Coast but haven't been there in 20 years so not sure what areas would be good. We'd like:

Nice pool where we can spend ages with 4yr old

Beach ideally within walking distance but up to 15 min drive ok

Same for good food and coffee but not super pretentious restaurants on account of DD

Ideally self contained enough to have a kitchenette or at minimum bar fridge.

Suggestions please? What beaches, what restaurants, where to look, what to avoid? We'd most likely need to hire a car too unless all was within walking distance, as we'll be flying there.

Also happy to take suggestions for other locations noting it'll be almost winter in Vic. And I'm not into Cairns/Port Douglas/Gold Coast/Byron although chances are Noosa might not be as nice as I remember it - we recently had a wonderful time on Mornington Peninsula so that's a good comparison point!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ker

• Princess Peach

• alchetta

• Kerilyntaryn21

Top Posters In This Topic

Seayork2002

following as we may do this for our 20th anniversary next year, we based ourselves in Brisbane a couple of years ago and did day trips to the coast

Silver Girl

We stayed at the Noosavillage River Resort in 2018 (based on a recommendation from an EB member).

It was lovely. Self contained. Pool/spa on site (ask for a room near the pool). Tennis courts also on site.

River beach, kayak hire, river cruise and playground 5-10 minutes walk away. Also walking distance to cafes and supermarket.

We flew in to Brisbane airport and hired a car from there (with car seat hire included), as fares were cheaper than to Sunshine Coast airport (a bit more driving though).

We also had a Woolworths home delivery arranged so all the essentials (milk/bread/nappies/fruit/cereal/shampoo etc) were waiting for us in the townhouse when we arrived.

Kiwi Bicycle

We did a stay at Mooloolaba down the coast as it was cheaper than Noosa, plus had a more family vibe. We stayed at The Mirage Alexandra Headland which were apartments with 3 pools ( including a toddler pool) and near lots of resturants and Coles down the riad. The beach is also very nice there as well. There is a playground in the park opposite the apartments.

We did days trips to Australia Zoo and up to Noosa heads ( nice walk). My inlaws who went did a boat trip into the Everglades which they really enjoyed.

We stayed at the Noosavillage River Resort in 2018 (based on a recommendation from an EB member).

It was lovely. Self contained. Pool/spa on site (ask for a room near the pool). Tennis courts also on site.

River beach, kayak hire, river cruise and playground 5-10 minutes walk away. Also walking distance to cafes and supermarket.

We flew in to Brisbane airport and hired a car from there (with car seat hire included), as fares were cheaper than to Sunshine Coast airport (a bit more driving though).

We also had a Woolworths home delivery arranged so all the essentials (milk/bread/nappies/fruit/cereal/shampoo etc) were waiting for us in the townhouse when we arrived.

The recommendation was probably from me. :)

I love Noosaville. No so fancy as Noosa Heads. The river is gorgeous and so much to do. You can hire bikes, kayaks, paddle boards, boats, jet skis. There are little sandy beaches along the river. You can catch the ferry up to Noosa Heads for the surf beach (or drive 10 mins). There are parks along the waterfront. You can park the car and not use it for the whole holiday. Walk to the pub, restaurants, takeaway, supermarket.

The Noosa Village River Resort isn't fancy but it is comfy. Two story townhouses (some three bedroom ones I think). Nice and big. Full kitchen.

The pool isn't large and fancy, but pleasant. Tennis court as well.

There are other venues along there that are also nice. Anything along the river front directly I recommend.

Perfect holiday with young children. :)

Sancti-claws

We stayed at some self-contained apartments * at Kings Beach a couple of weeks ago - fantastic - little pool, not a bad walk down to beach and water park, a few shops but not a strip.

* I did have the name here in the original post and then thought "thats probably against rules and advertising" but if you do want to know what it was pm me - they were great.

Mooloolaba is our go to. We get an apartment overlooking the water. Walking distance to all the eateries and across the street to the beach. However our trips usually revolve around beach rather than pool. It will be cool in May or June.

If you’re wanting warm and swimming I’d strongly consider further north. Would hamilton island or daydream island work if cairns and port Douglas are out?

We stayed at Eloundra (I think that's the right name) apartments in Maroochydore. Right on the beach, good pool, nice self contained apartments. We had a 2 bed, I think they also do 3 bed. We absolutely loved the place. A lot of good restaurants, some big shopping centre up the road for groceries. Beach had a hell of a current at the time, but the kids loved it.

Princess Peach

Nope, it was Elouera apartments.

These are nice!

I’ve also stayed at Seaforth Alexandra Headlands, which has a massive pool area.

Landmark hotel in Mooloolaba also has a lovely pool.

Guest BusbyWilkes

Mooloolaba is our go to. We get an apartment overlooking the water. Walking distance to all the eateries and across the street to the beach. However our trips usually revolve around beach rather than pool. It will be cool in May or June.

If you’re wanting warm and swimming I’d strongly consider further north. Would hamilton island or daydream island work if cairns and port Douglas are out?

IME lots of people (especially Victorian tourists!) are swimming in SE Qld in May/June.

Princess Peach

IME lots of people (especially Victorian tourists!) are swimming in SE Qld in May/June.

Yep.

Although you’d still get some of the locals if it’s a mild winter.

Silver Girl

The recommendation was probably from me. :)

I love Noosaville. No so fancy as Noosa Heads. The river is gorgeous and so much to do. You can hire bikes, kayaks, paddle boards, boats, jet skis. There are little sandy beaches along the river. You can catch the ferry up to Noosa Heads for the surf beach (or drive 10 mins). There are parks along the waterfront. You can park the car and not use it for the whole holiday. Walk to the pub, restaurants, takeaway, supermarket.

The Noosa Village River Resort isn't fancy but it is comfy. Two story townhouses (some three bedroom ones I think). Nice and big. Full kitchen.

The pool isn't large and fancy, but pleasant. Tennis court as well.

There are other venues along there that are also nice. Anything along the river front directly I recommend.

Perfect holiday with young children. :)

Yes, I think it was you who recommended the accommodation and location, Jerry. Thanks for your part in ensuring our family had a lovely holiday!

Thanks so much for the suggestions! Apparently half price flights are coming out at the start of April so I might try my chances to nab a good deal. I've tentatively reserved something fully cancellable on the river in Noosaville. It's on a little beach, has a heated pool and was about a third the price of some of the big fancy resorts so I'll see what pans out with the flights.

Advertisement