IGNORED

Crossing fingers for NZ travel bubble

Mose

Can't decide if this belongs in a support forum or a travel forum...hoping the latter.

Firstly, I know so many of our members have loved ones in other countries where Covid is rampant, and have genuine health concerns for them as well as missing them. And I am sorry that there will be a long, long wait for some much needed hugs.

But I want the NZ travel bubble and I want it now! Both countries have been largely covid free for months - anywhere else in the world a handful of cases popping up now and then and getting swiftly stomped on would be nothing short of a miracle.

DH grew up about 5km from where we live in the suburbs of Melbourne. I grew up in the deep south of NZ. Sure, if we had known border closures could be a thing when we made the decision to live in Melbourne, we probably would have chosen the same way...but we would have thought about it differently. In our minds it has always been a small number of hours and an achievable amount of $ to just get there. Not being able to go is huge for me.

My children have never been so long without seeing my parents and siblings. And, I WANT MY MUM.

Yep, ok, probably should have been in venting.

Hoping Jacinda's announcement scheduled for Tuesday might make a trip in July school hols possible.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mose

• Bornagirl

• Mrs Twit

• MsLaurie

Top Posters In This Topic

Fx for you, that must be difficult.

I think Covid has been difficult for people like yourself because when, as you say, there are countries where covid is rampant and people have elderly relatives there.

That doesn't mean your situation isn't hard for you. You're the second person in a week to say they want their Mum.

Isn't part of the problem for NZ the state border closures here? i.e. if people from NZ come to a state that ends up being closed off from all others, they may have to repatriate their citizens.

Kerilyntaryn21

Yes, I'd love to go to Nz too, I hope it opens soon, I can't even get to see my sister and her family in Perth, every time I try, I get cancelled

ClaudiaCosette

Fingers crossed for you, [mention]Mose[/mention]. I really hope they consider a bubble which allows families to be reunited.

Misspent Youth

I don’t want to be a downer but I’m not sure what will happen if we get one case here and the border is instantly slammed shut.

I told mum to hold off booking to come because she thinks “oh I’ll just pop over for a few days” but what happens if there’s a case here while she’s over and she can’t get back or they announce on her flight back she has to immediately hotel quarantine for 14 days?

I think it’s great for people who want to move back permanently but for it to be functional want them to be really transparent about their plans for small outbreaks and how they are planning on reacting before I’ll relax enough to book anything.

I'm wanting to go back in October/November, I'm a bit dubious on what Jacinda will announce but with the outbreaks here I understand why she's reserved about it.

I won't even go to my niece's 21st in Brisbane from nsw as can't risk the borders being slammed shut again.

Karma Sutra

Like hell I say. Keep the bubble. Australia does not have it under control it is still popping up in states with level four lock downs.

Whilst I understand everyone is getting fidgety but I would prefer the bubble to stay as is for at least several months more.

The vaccine which is being enjoyed in Australia is not widely available in NZ and what little there is I’m not sure where that is going.

Lives are more important that wanting to catch up with xyz.

Misspent Youth

Think NZ is pretty safe. They lock down instantly and don’t have any cases. Travel bubbles everywhere, probably no, but NZ, and Pacific islands I think would be pretty safe.

Kiwi Bicycle

Yes, the bubble isn't open as they don't want stranded NZers calling for help in NZ.

I think it's probably more achievable if people from Australia can visit NZ as also long as you don't linger in Auckland, ( most likely place to be locked down). But firstly we need to be able to do rapid testing before you get on a plane. And at reasonable cost ( sub $ 100). So I don't know. It's actually very important for Cook Islands that NZ stays Covid free as possible ( it's really the only gateway to the world).

I miss my parents so much. I haven't meet my new nephew. But I understand why it hasn't happened.

Dadwasathome

NZ was meant to be making an announcement on Tuesday about a travel bubble. A big issue to date has been a lack of national position in Australia - the actual experience of each nation has been quite similar.

Many other nations are opening their borders to vaccinated travellers only, but our two nations have come within a quarter of a hair’s width of community elimination. Both nations have solid quarantine systems.

The time is ripe for a travel bubble.

There’s sod all COVID in Australia or NZ, the few outbreaks have all been handfuls of cases. With flight manifests etc there’s no reason why people couldn’t be contacted and tested/quarantined if there was an outbreak where they’d just come from.

I would also be in favour of travel bubbles with places like Singapore which have had good control.

Julie3Girls

I'm wanting to go back in October/November, I'm a bit dubious on what Jacinda will announce but with the outbreaks here I understand why she's reserved about it.

I won't even go to my niece's 21st in Brisbane from nsw as can't risk the borders being slammed shut again.

Nsw has only closed its borders once, and that was with vic when cases were getting up in the hundreds when the second wave was ramping up. I actually think being in NSW actually has that advantage for travel, you can be pretty sure you will be able to get home.

Going to be interesting to see what the NZ announcement will be. Personally I think Australia is doing well with shutting down outbreaks, and the border restrictions going up and down are at least doing so in a quick and timely manner now, not remaining shut for ages each time. But I can understand NZ not wanting to jump in and become part of that.

Hugs to everyone separated from family overseas, whatever the distance xx

We’re waiting too, DHs dad and friends are all in NZ and we want to take our new Bub to meet everyone. The two countries are in the same position (occasional leaks) so there’s no reason we can’t bubble.

NZ was meant to be making an announcement on Tuesday about a travel bubble. A big issue to date has been a lack of national position in Australia - the actual experience of each nation has been quite similar.

Many other nations are opening their borders to vaccinated travellers only, but our two nations have come within a quarter of a hair’s width of community elimination. Both nations have solid quarantine systems.

The time is ripe for a travel bubble.

And the ski season is approaching. NZ will want to cash in on that

@mose I'm getting desperate for the travel bubble too, to see my sick parents in NZ. I miss them but I think they are missing us more. Would love my kids to see them one more time too. Fingers crossed for a good outcome on Tuesday.

I think it will be a lot easier once we have more people vaccinated in both countries (and other countries too). There will be less border door slamming even when outbreaks occur.

My mother in the UK is fully vaccinated now, so I am hopeful! The UK cases have come down a lot now, in contrast to mainland Europe.

Also I think that there will come a point where people accept that families can’t be kept apart any longer and take less of a hardline elimination approach especially with the availability of vaccines and treatments.

I don’t want to be a downer but I’m not sure what will happen if we get one case here and the border is instantly slammed shut.

I told mum to hold off booking to come because she thinks “oh I’ll just pop over for a few days” but what happens if there’s a case here while she’s over and she can’t get back or they announce on her flight back she has to immediately hotel quarantine for 14 days?

I think it’s great for people who want to move back permanently but for it to be functional want them to be really transparent about their plans for small outbreaks and how they are planning on reacting before I’ll relax enough to book anything.

Honestly, at this point I am willing to risk it. If we can get across to NZ, I don't mind getting stuck. The AU border has only been closed or required quarantine for those from NZ for a minimal amount of time since it first reopened mid last year.

We will take our laptops, and realistically, we could be stuck for literally months before it would become a big problem for us. Biggest issue would be DS missing school. He is years ahead of level in everything, so although my preference is for him to be at home and at school, it is a risk I am willing to take.

I won't knowingly send us into a quarantine situation, but I will at this point take a calculated risk. Because at this point I am offsetting it against a statistically increasing risk that I may never see one or both of my parents again.

Twelve months ago I was ok to wait it out....now I am more of the mindset that you miss 100% of the shots you don't take, so we should try as soon as practicable.

I am sure I would feel differently if I didn't know we can both work remotely indefinitely if needed - our cut off would need to be getting out of NZ before we accidentally became tax residents and complicated our lives (approx 6 months).

It's a bit off-topic but I do wonder whether one of the long term changes from Covid will be an end to the idea that anyone is ever 'just a flight away".

If you think about it, it was always an illusion that relied on available and affordable flights but it's been a long time since anyone has had any reason to reflect on it. I do wonder whether it will impact on the willingness of people around the world to travel for temporary things like study or temporary contract work over the next decade or so.

I think it will be a lot easier once we have more people vaccinated in both countries (and other countries too). There will be less border door slamming even when outbreaks occur.

My mother in the UK is fully vaccinated now, so I am hopeful! The UK cases have come down a lot now, in contrast to mainland Europe.

Also I think that there will come a point where people accept that families can’t be kept apart any longer and take less of a hardline elimination approach especially with the availability of vaccines and treatments.

This is what I'm thinking about the vaccination, which is why I'll wait till later in the year even if the bubble opens soon.

It's a bit off-topic but I do wonder whether one of the long term changes from Covid will be an end to the idea that anyone is ever 'just a flight away".

If you think about it, it was always an illusion that relied on available and affordable flights but it's been a long time since anyone has had any reason to reflect on it. I do wonder whether it will impact on the willingness of people around the world to travel for temporary things like study or temporary contract work over the next decade or so.

Honestly, if I had understood the risk of border closures properly 20 years ago, I would never have come on temporary contract, never have met DH and currently be living an unimaginably different life. I think it will take far more courage to "try" new countries in the years to come than it has taken in the last 30 years or so.

Kiwi Bicycle

And I think OEs will be curtailed and disappearing off the grid won't be encouraged either for young people by parents.

Look when we decided to go overaeas to live, we acceoted seeing parents was going to be limited to twice a year if possible. Unfortunately aging parents also has become a big reality. My dad keeps on saying Covid has stole 2 years of his life left. They are Swedish death cleaning at the moment and talk has turned to " when I die". It's scary talk to be honest.

And I think OEs will be curtailed and disappearing off the grid won't be encouraged either for young people by parents.

Look when we decided to go overaeas to live, we acceoted seeing parents was going to be limited to twice a year if possible. Unfortunately aging parents also has become a big reality. My dad keeps on saying Covid has stole 2 years of his life left. They are Swedish death cleaning at the moment and talk has turned to " when I die". It's scary talk to be honest.

The reality is as an older person, you don't really think about your life expectancy, you start thinking about your remaining good, relatively healthy, relatively mobile years of life. Five years ago I walked around Rome one day for nine hours, now four hours is my limit before my feet give out, unless my hip starts up first. I'd be kidding myself if I thought we could still be doing major travel in ten years, so two years out of that is significant.

Kiwi Bicycle

The reality is as an older person, you don't really think about your life expectancy, you start thinking about your remaining good, relatively healthy, relatively mobile years of life. Five years ago I walked around Rome one day for nine hours, now four hours is my limit before my feet give out, unless my hip starts up first. I'd be kidding myself if I thought we could still be doing major travel in ten years, so two years out of that is significant.

Yes. My parents were doing annual trips overseas. So last year they just canned their cruise around South America before first lockdown in NZ ( so glad they didn't get on the plane to the US) and this year was a trip to Russia and some Balkan countries. They plan two years in advance. Dad is annoyed he hasn't gone. They are feeling their age.

Advertisement