IGNORED

NSW NRMA or Car hire roadside assist?

Seayork2002

Seayork2002

We are going to be hiring a car for a trip from Sydney to Broken Hill (one way) but I am not sure whether to join the NRMA ourselves as members or just pay for roadside assist with the hire company?

We do not have a car so are not members of the NRMA now

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seayork2002

• Sarzie

• Bornagirl

• IamtheMumma

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always assumed we'd just contact the car hire company if the car broke down.

Don't know about NRMA but with RACV you pay for the actual car with them for the roadside assist service - add or subtract cars as you change them.

Edited by Bornagirl

Inkogneatoh

Do they provide roadside assist for a car you don't own?

With RACQ, depending on the plan, you could cover you in your car, any one driving a nominated car or cover a driver in any car. The more expensive the plan, the more flexible it was. From what I remember reading a couple of days ago, I think it's still basically the same. Not sure on the limits, as we never had to test them (I've only called them out on my car).

[mention]Seayork2002[/mention] If your only looking at having a car for a few days, I'd probably look into exactly what the car hire company offer in their package for what price. Things like towing services are capped on cheaper plans with RACQ.

I had cover with RACV and it was for myself driving any car and also for myself or anyone driving my car but I think it was over $200 per year from memory and I didn’t live in Vic at the time but they said it was ok- I needed that cover as I would often swap cars with my brother at that time. I use the NRMA cover that came with my car at the moment though.

I had cover with RACV and it was for myself driving any car and also for myself or anyone driving my car but I think it was over $200 per year from memory and I didn’t live in Vic at the time but they said it was ok- I needed that cover as I would often swap cars with my brother at that time. I use the NRMA cover that came with my car at the moment though.

I haven't heard of that one, although I know there are three different levels you can buy, and we've just got the basic: the cars that we've listed is covered regardless of who is driving it. They don't even know who's driving them regularly.

[mention]Bornagirl[/mention] it is their total care option.

“ Nominated driver and vehicle assistance

Assistance for you when you’re behind the wheel of any vehicle. And if your nominated vehicle breaks down while someone else is driving, they can get assistance.”

Have a look at either Worldwide insure ( British- based) or Tripcover ( Australian- based ) for the insurance part of the rental. Much cheaper than through the company. Doesn't answer your question, though.

Advertisement