IGNORED

School camp bag recommentations

Silver Girl

Silver Girl

My DS is going on school camp. Can you recommend a good bag for his luggage? I was thinking of a duffle bag, but am open to suggestions.

TIA.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seayork2002

• QuirkyMum

• BornToLove

• Froggie

Top Posters In This Topic

A duffel bag is good generally. Depends a little on the camp and type of accommodation. My only real concern relates to whether they can carry it themselves. Most camps I've been on kids have needed to be able to carry their luggage a reasonable distance, often upstairs and kids with wheelie bags or bags that are too heavy can struggle.

Seayork2002

DS went to one school trip where is was cabins and he was the only one with a duffel bag all the other kids had wheeled suitcases, I don't think it matter what they take as long as they can manage themselves like a PP said.

other camps in tents it has been mixed types of bags, if it will be reused then it is worth paying a bit more but Aldi, Kmart, Reject Shop and Bog W I have all seen great bags at

My year 6 kid went to 3 camps in 3 years.

First camp in year 4 we were told small bags, something they can easily carry... half of their cohort 180 kids took small to medium size suitcases! And my kiddo needed help from teachers to stuff things in his bag when it was time to pack up...

Last two times I sent him with a euro cabin size(tiny) lightweight suitcase and it was great. This year (year 6) half( probably more) kids were with small suitcases and half with huge hiking backpacks.

In short, any bag will work as long as your kid can pack and unpack and carry/wheel it comfortably.

Whatever you chose, go with something your child can pack and carry themselves.

Also consider extras like pillow and sleeping bag. DD Can’t carry a duffle and sleeping bag, so we send her with a small carryon suitcase where she can loop the sleeping bag on to the pull handle of the suitcase.

DD1 has a backpack. A bit like a hiking pack but it not huge. Fits a fair bit in though. But she uses hers for scouts so there tends to be a fair bit of walking.

My kids have a bag similar to this

https://www.kathmandu.com.au/hybrid-70l-trolley.html?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=6464462127&gclid=CjwKCAjw7J6EBhBDEiwA5UUM2lSKCwr4tSXxGNIN_RF0o7chWxQnns3eMHd76quacZvg1KKC3nHydBoCD1IQAvD_BwE

I am positive I didn’t pay anywhere near that sort of price for it though. It has been used by all 3 of my kids over the last 8 years for school camps, cadet bivouacs, trips away etc and is still going strong.

It has wheels so easy to move while they are young and not very strong. It has straps so easy to carry when they’re a bit older and have to carry their bags over rough terrain for small distances. It’s big enough to fit well packed adult sized clothes for a weekend. Or kids sized stuff just randomly shoved in. When young, the kids struggled to put their sleeping bags back in its case so would just shove it in this bag, all loose and fluffy.

It has lots of pockets for things that you want to keep separate for easy access - toiletries, bandaids, flashlight, book etc and a large enough main compartment.

It’s easy to clean after a camp - I generally get the kids to hose it out afterwards (sometimes there’s mud on the exterior or stinky smells inside) and let it dry in the sun on our deck. Then all good to put away for next time.

• 2 weeks later...

DS took a duffle bag to his first ever camp recently (y5). He also took a sleeping bag, pillow and daypack. So he had to juggle 4 items. Most other kids had wheelie bags that they had stuffed everything into or else the sleeping bag was attached to the top. That looked like a much more manageable option in hindsight, assuming there weren't too many stairs.

Advertisement