As a guest, you're only seeing half the picture - register now for access to all forums. ×
IGNORED

Great travel products (bags/toiletries etc.)

Seayork2002

I would like to get some nice things for when we go travelling - our toiletries end up in a draw string laundry bag and our clothes are thrown is calico type bags.

I don't use make up but we tend to end up with lots of things like sunscreen, hairbrushes, shampoos etc. that end up every where. SO I am thinking of a makeup bag for when we don't fly

We take a car sometimes but may fly/train so pack differently so does anyone have any great travel idea you do to make things easier?

Also I am looking at getting the L'Occitane advent calendar this year so I will have some nice shampoo/shower gel etc. to take but although I don't use make up others may on here so any ideas welcome

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Basil

• Kiwi Bicycle

• Dadwasathome

• overlytired

Top Posters In This Topic

I use packing cells for clothes no matter if it’s a big o/s trip or just a local overnight jaunt. We have colour coded ones for each family member and multiple sizes and styles depending on what we need. Makes it much easier to find what is needed and to keep things organised.

I have tried all sorts of bags and organisational methods for toiletries and now use ziplock bags. If anything leaks it’s contained and mess is minimised. Not very glamorous but highly functional. Sometimes I put those ziplock bags into other pouches that I’ve collected from flights or department store beauty gift packs etc.

I have a zip up pouch with elastic holders for electronic cables and chargers. It has been great to have a home for all those bits and bobs and it makes it easy to glance over when packing up to be sure we haven’t left a charger behind somewhere.

I get reuseable small travel containers and decant my usual products into those. Just make sure if you need to squeeze something out, the container is soft enough to do so.

I second packing cells, but I also have some calico laundry bags ( from an overseas hotel) , we use for dirty washing. Travel shoe bags are awesome to keep the inside of your suitcase clean. DH has a hanging toiletries bag from Kathmandu which is good.

Packing cells, at least for occasional use things - electronics bits and bobs, swimming gear if that isn’t the main focus of the trip etc. just so you can grab things easily.

I still do packing cells more broadly, but DP doesn’t.

We also need to find a better dirty clothes solution.

Due to my fear of flying I've only flown twice in the last dozen years (was planning on several trips this year... sigh) but as PP, ziplock bags are a good cheap replacement for packing cubs (but very slippery) and they can be compressed quite a bit.

For roads trips: Family of 6 – For multi-night trips (2000+kms with 1 or 2 overnights to get to destination) I would pack toiletries, sleepwear, and fresh clothes for everyone into one bag so we only had to rummage through one bag per day and all the dirty clothes were segregated.

We also need to find a better dirty clothes solution.

I use those waterproof camping sacks that you can compress, roll the top and clip. They fit neatly back into suitcases for packing and, keep the smells and mankiness contained. It’s easy to distinguish the dirty bags from clean.

I used to use the old wet bags from our cloth napping days. The last one gave out on our last camping trip when it got snagged and tore a hole in it.

I try to keep on top of washing when on holidays so I don’t end up with a mountain of dirty gear at the end though.

Captain Tightpants

I was given one of these for Christmas a few years back and I find it invaluable! It actually stays packed and lives in my vanity so I can just grab and go whenever I need it. It folds up to the size of a large lunch box and has a hook to hang over the shower wall.

d4c2921fe49ac20e73caedb9bb2e1ffa.jpg

I was given one of these for Christmas a few years back and I find it invaluable! It actually stays packed and lives in my vanity so I can just grab and go whenever I need it. It folds up to the size of a large lunch box and has a hook to hang over the shower wall.

I use one a bit like this but it has waterproof pockets, which were invaluable the time my shampoo leaked mid flight. No soapy toothbrush :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
YodaTheWrinkledOne

Another vote for packing cubes. I have a variety of them for all sorts of things. I found the best value were the ones I bought from Big W - I bought a few sets (https://www.bigw.com.au/product/globite-packing-cubes-3-pack-purple/p/556806/). Everyone has their own colour, so no arguments there.

We use the calico bags from our down sleeping bags for laundry bags when we go travelling. And I throw in a couple of sea2summit lightweight dry sacks for anything wet, etc. DH always takes a DIY roll-out vacuum seal/compression bag too, to help compress down larger clothes like jackets, etc.

The digital luggage scales have been useful too. I leave that in my suitcase now so I don't forget it.

I have a similar toiletries bag that I have been using for over 20 years (it was from Kathmadu). It's a firm favourite, can't imagine not having it when I travel. I think all toiletry bags should come with a hook

I'm a Katmandhu fan - we have a lot of their travel gear which we have accumulated over the years. Our trips have been fly-drive-train-bus combinations so we have needed to be well-organised (and mobile) with luggage and packing as a family.

For luggage we have 'hybrid' wheelie backpacks like this:

https://www.kathmandu.com.au/packs-bags/bags/hybrid-70l-trolley.html

I have a soft toiletry bag like this one, which fits everything:

https://www.kathmandu.com.au/travel/luggage-accessories/toiletry-bags/kit-capacious-toiletry-bag.html

And packing cells in a variety of sizes (and colours for each family member) for clothing and electronic accesories (chargers etc):

https://www.kathmandu.com.au/travel/luggage-accessories/packing-cells-cases.html

Advertisement