As a guest, you're only seeing half the picture - register now for access to all forums. ×
IGNORED

Let's pay off our credit cards (buckle your swashes!)

Silverstreak

And it's gone from my online banking. I've decided to work on the slightly bigger cc, with a lower interest because we will be closing that one. The other is connected to the mortgage so it will sit there until we can close that too. Onwards and downwards.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Silverstreak

Thought I should provide an update, haven't done so in a while!

So our cards are now $3,400 on the ANZ and $5,500 on the Citibank, so a total of $8,900. I am getting used to paying our utility bill every month, which I like.

The Citibank is on a low rate balance transfer and will need to be paid off by November. Planning on paying a chunk off it when we get our tax return and supps.

So no great leaps, but we are ticking along nicely. Hoping to renew our lease again soon, I always relax a bit when we've signed a new one.

Anyway, hope everyone else is going well. Onwards and downwards!

• Like 1

Woo hoo, great work Silverstreak.

We're a little stuck this month due to having a HUGE bill month and being down a couple of k will hubby gets on the proper pay rotation. Next month should be back to normal, except my daughter's dancing fees will be due.

I love paying my utilities monthly too. Makes it so much easier to track. I do as much as I can monthly.

Hoping to start the snowball effect now the loan is gone. My current card I'm working on has $5800 owing. The other has less but this is the one I want gone first.

Plod plod

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

And we're stuck. Hubby's new job didn't quite work out, so we're on one wage for the time being.  Just don't want to increase debt at this time. 

• 3 weeks later...
Wonkalicious

fingers crossed he finds something soon Fleeting!

We have modified ourselves.  New mortgage sorted and we opened a credit card for the sole purpose of keeping as much money in the offset as we possibly can.  We are nearing the end of month #2 and so far so good.  Month #1 paid in full on time.  Happily tracking so month #2 will be the same.  

• Like 2

Silverstreak

Well all our tax returns have been done, looking forward to returns and supps. I like to overestimate our income, so we usually get some FTB back.

So we're currently at $10,700, but hopefully when we get everything back I can get us back down close to $5000.

And some good news, a nice business order came through which will keep DH busy and bring in more money.

Hope everyone is doing okay leading up to tax time, onwards and downwards, me hearties!

• Like 2

We have a job! A bit of a pay cut (20k) but it also includes NFP salary packaging up to 15900. I have to get used to fortnightly pay again as I was used to working in monthly.

Hopefully we can get through next few.weeks without adding too much to the credit cards.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Fleeting said:

We have a job! A bit of a pay cut (20k) but it also includes NFP salary packaging up to 15900. I have to get used to fortnightly pay again as I was used to working in monthly.

Hopefully we can get through next few.weeks without adding too much to the credit cards.

Congratulations so happy for you both 

• Like 2

Silverstreak

New total $7650 and I hope to pay down more next week. Our balance transfer only has $2100 left to pay off.

• Like 2

On 05/07/2021 at 4:56 PM, Fleeting said:

Oh yay!

I think you might be pleasantly surprised by how much the salary packaging. I was stunned when I had it on a 6mth contact once. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Silverstreak said:

New total $7650 and I hope to pay down more next week. Our balance transfer only has $2100 left to pay off.

Wow that is awesome!! I can't wait to get mine down further, I have about 600 worth of payments I can once ready snowball onto and my daughter's braces only has 3 payments left so I'll continue rolling that amount as well.

9 hours ago, Ozgirl said:

Oh yay!

I think you might be pleasantly surprised by how much the salary packaging. I was stunned when I had it on a 6mth contact once. 

I hope so! It sounds like it will make a difference for us. I was trying to work out to do mortgage or on a card for everyday expenses but I'm thinking straight to mortgage will be easier.

• Like 1

Silverstreak

Now I'm wondering if, once the balance transfer is paid off, we put the remainder of the ANZ onto another balance transfer. Might get DH to give Citibank a call, we've put several different balance transfers on this particular card and they always give us a low interest rate. If that's the case, I'll pay off the remainder of the balance transfer next week.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Silverstreak said:

Now I'm wondering if, once the balance transfer is paid off, we put the remainder of the ANZ onto another balance transfer. Might get DH to give Citibank a call, we've put several different balance transfers on this particular card and they always give us a low interest rate. If that's the case, I'll pay off the remainder of the balance transfer next week.

I'm actually to scared to do a balance transfer even though I know it would work for us. I've become so invested in not applying for credit, although mostly because I want to refinance the mortgage.

• Like 1

Silverstreak

Yeah I know, it can feel a bit daunting and there’s usually a fee as well. I write down the expiry dates in the diary, don’t want to get caught out when it reverts to a higher rate! 

Edited by Silverstreak
  • Like 1

Had got my card down to zero but have had to move and buy new furniture.  Now at $4500 - cutting back expenditure until paid off.  A very lean few months coming up.  Hopefully I get a big tax return.

• Like 2

Advertisement