• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LemonMyrtle

• Kiwi Bicycle

• Seayork2002

• nom_de_plume

Top Posters In This Topic

Seayork2002

I know there are lots out there with kids (older) who are wanting part time jobs, or even people here.

There is a huge shortage of swim instructors. You don't need to be a gun swimmer to be a teacher for most of the lessons.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-17/swimming-teacher-jobs-available-due-to-australia-shortage/100014072

Thanks we mentioned this to DS13 (before I saw this article), he is teaching DH to swim at the beach (DH can technically swim but is not confident at the beach) he is actually a good teacher at it

nom_de_plume

It's a great casual/part time job. Something to be aware of - most of the work is after school hours or on the weekends. There is limited work during school hours as they generally only do infants/preschoolers for a couple hours in the morning, and school bookings Term 1 and 4.

The course is usually taught over a weekend, and then you need to do some placement hours before you can teach. There are additional models for infants and disability. You'll also need your First Aid and CPR.

My SIL did a lot of swim teaching when she was at uni and loved it (she's now an OT working with kids, so the experience with kids was also useful!)

LemonMyrtle

I saw that article. My first thought was that we have a pool shortage, not a teacher shortage. At least around here we do.

The pools simply can’t run any more lessons. They do lessons until late on weekdays and nearly all day Saturday and Sunday. We went for a play at the public pool the other week on a Sunday, assuming no lessons would be on (they never used to be) and only 1 lane was available for playing, 3 for laps, the rest was lessons. So even the locals struggle to go for a casual swim on the weekend it’s so full.

When we first moved here we only managed to get lessons because a new small lessons-only pool got built right when we moved in, so we got in fast. We re enrol every term just to not lose our spot, even though I’d rather do a half year of lessons, not a full year. That pool is now full at popular times, but you can have a 6pm or later lesson on a week day if you are desperate.

There will be a large contingent of kids around here who may never get swimming lessons, especially if their parents can’t go further afield to find availability.

Kiwi Bicycle

It's a great casual/part time job. Something to be aware of - most of the work is after school hours or on the weekends. There is limited work during school hours as they generally only do infants/preschoolers for a couple hours in the morning, and school bookings Term 1 and 4.

The course is usually taught over a weekend, and then you need to do some placement hours before you can teach. There are additional models for infants and disability. You'll also need your First Aid and CPR.

However if you can get a swim school that does schools that's a different story. Instructors don't start until 9.30am or so and finish before school ends. This is mainly for schools that bus their kids for a two week intensive swimming course. In Melbourne there's lots of heated indoor pools ( public and private), so swimming for schools can be year round.

I agree it's lack of pools, not teachers. Our swim school has massive waiting lists but no spare time to fit them in.

I know a swim school that runs out of a primary school pool. 5he school has been around in some form fore more than 100 years, the pool for a significant period of that time. The swim school has been wildly successful.

The actual school have just informed them the pool is being pulled out for admin offices. No negotiation. They've tried everywhere but there's no other pool anywhere that can accommodate them.

Kiwi Bicycle

Our swim school made their own pool to expand into. They hired a huge commercial store ( like what BCF or similar would lease) and installed a 20m above ground pool, built up the floor level to the edge of the pool, put in change rooms etc and had a pool. All removeable if required. So had both an indoor and heated pool.

LemonMyrtle

Our swim school made their own pool to expand into. They hired a huge commercial store ( like what BCF or similar would lease) and installed a 20m above ground pool, built up the floor level to the edge of the pool, put in change rooms etc and had a pool. All removeable if required. So had both an indoor and heated pool.

Hey, maybe you live near me! 🥸

It’s great, if a bit crowded and busy, especially pre covid. more places should do the same. But I do wonder if they are profitable, pools are expensive to install and maintain. I hope they don’t go bust until my kids have learnt to swim.

In our area, its a lack of teachers. They had to cancel lessons one weekend as it was so bad. I also wondered if its life savers too, they closed the shallow play pool claiming due to covid. I see absolutely no reason why that pool is at a greater risk than the other two pools and the splash pad area. So I'm guessing its staffing.

In my area it is lack of teachers. Generally the training can be gruelling and a lot of people are put off by the training. The money is not that great and you are dealing with kids who can be very badly behaved or turn up to lessons visably unwell, then you get sick, parents can be very difficult to manage as well. Add in Covid and there is a deficit. Plus adding in the jobseeker program. A lot of people who might have thought about getting a part time job have admitted they don't because the amount of money they earn teaching is far less, factoring in how much their job keeper is lowered by earning money - they do miss out.

Our local pool is struggling to find teachers. They have lessons running everyday, but fewer actual classes than before covid. They used to offer adult lessons and 1:1 sessions and have noticed those are no longer being promoted.

Advertisement