IGNORED

What to do? A bit messy...

Hummingbird82

Hummingbird82

Oh to have the benefit of hindsight. I have a dilemma and would love some advice.

I started a new job in September which was sort of related to my background, but not the area I am most qualified in. It was more entry level and I was happy with the role because it allowed me to move to the city I wanted to be in, and I had been out of work for 3 years.

3 months into the job, another more suitable job came up at another agency. It was the area I'm qualified in, and the work I really enjoy and a 20k pay increase. I decided to apply and out of 46 applicants, I was selected.

I have been at the new job for a month or so now. The working conditions aren't great ( very cramped workspace with my colleague with no windows) but the work is interesting and I'm enjoying getting back into it.

But..... This is the issue. I have just found out that the team leader position in the area that is my speciality is about to be advertised at my old workplace. And I'm really tempted to apply. But I have just started this new role and they require a current supervisor as your referee.

I left my old workplace on good terms with everyone and still catch up with my old boss for coffee etc.

The new role would be another promotion but I'm conscious of the fact that I have chopped and changed workplaces a lot in the last 6 months. Prior to stopping work in 2017, I was with the organisation for 11 years.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be really appreciated. Thank you

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hummingbird82

• Not Escapin Xmas

• WaitForMe

• Redchick

Top Posters In This Topic

Not Escapin Xmas

I’d be honest with your current boss and apply. Yes it’s annoying for them but not the end of the world. They had lots of applicants so can choose from the rest.

Hummingbird82

I’d be honest with your current boss and apply. Yes it’s annoying for them but not the end of the world. They had lots of applicants so can choose from the rest.

Thank you - this was my thought. Being upfront with my current boss. One of my friends warned me against doing this as I'm still on probation?

Yep honesty is the best policy. Even better if the work you're doing now is a contract, but either way, you have ambitions, you're going to pursue them regardless, and the best chance you have of maintaining relationships into the future is to speak honestly about what you're looking for. As for being on probation, you're already looking anyway so if it's not this job it might be another one before long anyway, and I don't think they'd willingly cut you loose at the outset if they didn't have to! Good luck! Surely they'll have a pretty fresh pool of candidates to go back to!

Agree with PPs. Only thing to add is that as you’ve not been in your latest job long your supervisor may be limited in how they wish to comment on your performance. Eg HB82 is performing the role well but has only been with the organisation for a short time and is still learning the role so supervisor cannot comment on all performance aspects.

That is a bit delicate... I would leave off the current supervisor name until they are in the final stages. Speaking to references is usually the last step.

I don't think theres anything wrong in you applying, you need to look after you. But it might not go down well that you are already looking at other jobs.

Hummingbird82

All great advice thank you.

I am not actively looking for other jobs, I became aware of this job because someone from my old workplace got in touch to tell me, otherwise I wouldn't have been aware. I actually told my boss that they were looking for a team leader there and we chatted about it, as we can work with them on things etc. So he is aware of the vacancy and that I know they are looking to fill the vacancy.

My other thought is that I sit back and see if it comes up in another 5-10 years.

I'd apply, write "references available on request" on your application and only tell your new boss if you get to interview stage - and even then keep it low key, "I'm enjoying the work here, but I threw my hat in the ring for the team leader job at X agency" etc

Thank you - this was my thought. Being upfront with my current boss. One of my friends warned me against doing this as I'm still on probation?

Yes but also your new workplace is on probation too (as in you are trying them out too).

Hummingbird82

Yes that's very true. Thank you.

I know that my old organisation only asks for reference checks for the selected applicant, so I could probably get away with applying and if I don't get the job, he wouldn't be any the wiser. I'm very happy where I am, but this is too good an opportunity not to go for, especially as roles like this wouldn't come up often (I'm in regional Qld)

I'd use your old boss not current one and apply for the job. See what happens.

This! As it’s not like you left that company long age, so they know your capabilities and you can just add in your resume what you current duties are and that a current referee is available on request.

Hummingbird82

Yes fantastic. That's a great suggestion. The area I was in worked very closely with the area where this vacancy is and the people on the selection panel know me (but not my qualifications and experience in this area). I think I may as well throw my hat in the ring...

Advertisement