IGNORED

Which Job?

Aughra

Current job: Very stressful, limited management support, excessive workload, paid well but below market rate for all the extra work I do, 45 minute drive but it's challenging skilled work that I'm specifically qualified for and has great extra benefits (i get 2 weeks extra leave per year).

An opportunity has come up that's 10 minutes from home, slightly less pay, way less responsibility, possibly not very challenging, not in my particular field, same hours, no extra benefits.

I'm torn between seeing this as a chance to get out of difficult situation, try something new and work close to home, and feeling like I won't enjoy the job and will regret losing the extra benefits.

Should I keep looking for a new job that I'm actually excited about, stay and hope the current job improves or go with the new opportunity? I'm a single mum needing part time work so my options are limited.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aughra

• Ozgirl

• Kiwi Bicycle

• EmMelb

Top Posters In This Topic

Kiwi Bicycle

Keep lookong if you can ( depend on mental health etc). I'm a believer of frying pan/ fire, so if you do decide to jump, it better be to a much more rewarding role.

Keep looking!

As an aside (sorry!) Men never think like this.

They never accept less, they hold out.

Taking a pay cut and the extra leave is HUGE!

There are potential positives to the new role, but I would even negotiate the extra leave at minimum.

Dont sell yourself short.

I think you need to prioritise your wants from a different role and your reasons for wanting to leave your current job as well as the things that make you want to stay.

Being closer to home for example, Jane might see that as a necessity as every single day is a struggle because of the commute. But Sarah sees the commute as an inconvenience which has no real impact on a daily basis but gee it'd be nice to save $50 a week in petrol because money is pretty tight.

Thanks everyone!

Ozgirl: I was thinking about how men handle things too. My last two jobs I have been over qualified for but was happy to settle for the convenience of part time. I've then eventually ended up using all my higher level skills but not being paid for it.

EmMelb: DS has some ongoing appointments so it's been great to have extra leave available. It all adds up in dollar terms too if I factor the time into my salary.

Mooguru: I don't mind the commute. I would save some money and time if I was closer to home but I have my childcare routine working well at the moment so it's not too inconvenient. There are better quality jobs out of town.

I think I should wait and find something that is a healthy (not overworked) challenge from the start and pays better. I have enough leave accrued now to take a few days any time I want a break so I guess I can take my time.

Could you also try and negotiate in your current role? WFH days (if possible), more salary, paid training, even more vacation days?

I've found each organisation usually has some things they can more easily flex on. If you work out what these are, it's easier to negotiate for them

Could you also try and negotiate in your current role? WFH days (if possible), more salary, paid training, even more vacation days?

I've found each organisation usually has some things they can more easily flex on. If you work out what these are, it's easier to negotiate for them

I've tried negotiating my work arrangements and salary in my current role as what I'm doing is not what I was originally hired for, but I've had no luck getting any assistance from HR. I'm not good with confrontation so I've been very polite about it. I'm not sure if it's worth making more of a fuss or if that will just make the situation harder.

But again, I'm sure men don't think like that. They just push hard for what they want and think they deserve!

• 3 weeks later...

I turned down the job and have kept looking for something else but nothing suitable has come up. I have limited options with hours and location.

I wish I could just be a mum and do more for DS. He's struggling at school.

I can't help thinking of all the opportunities I'd have for work and study if I were a man and only had to plan around two days a fortnight.

Seayork2002

I may be under qualified for my current job and it can get boring but it is 3 min walk from home if i walk fast, strict 9-5 mon to fri I get very busy sometimes but no stress, I am happy with this

I can take time off when I need to but I meant strict was no overtime or weekends unless I chose too which I have not ever done

Guest Chic n Stu

I've tried negotiating my work arrangements and salary in my current role as what I'm doing is not what I was originally hired for, but I've had no luck getting any assistance from HR. I'm not good with confrontation so I've been very polite about it. I'm not sure if it's worth making more of a fuss or if that will just make the situation harder.

But again, I'm sure men don't think like that. They just push hard for what they want and think they deserve!

Alison Green's Ask a Manager blog has some fantastic tips on making your case for a raise. I'm very much in the same boat as you so don't have a heap of personal advice, but a lot of the commenters over there seem to rate it and they're regularly posting success stories on salary negotiation so may be worth a look!

It'd also be instructive to think about how much it would cost them to replace you. Sounds like a lot more than coming up with a raise that would make you happier.

Advertisement