IGNORED

Volunteer work on resume

redleaves

My last job was a great job and definitely has the right skills to lead into future roles.

I've just started to do some volunteer work that also looks good for future roles - where do I put the volunteer work on my resume? do I put it at the top as it is the most recent thing I've done? I don't want it to 'take over' the skills for my last job.

any thoughts would be much appreciated.

thank you

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Seayork2002

• Jolly_F

• Lou-bags

• redleaves

Top Posters In This Topic

Seayork2002

If it was me I would include in the employment history if it was more an actual position, if it was as a more a side line thing I would use a 'volunteer roles' heading

both as important to me personally but employers only have so long to look at a CV so keeping it organised and easy to read is best

I have a separate section on my CV titled "Leadership and volunteering activities. Depending on what the actual activity was, I would put it in this section, or you could have it with your employment history.

I have my employment history section titled "experience" so it easily encompasses paid and unpaid roles.

I have it under a separate section. Laid out similar to my employment history.

I can’t think what I have called it though, sorry.

Call out the skills in the cover letter when you are explaining how you meet the requirements of the new role.

Include either in the employment section (as concurrent) or in "other". I'm a company's director so I have it in a section that says "Board Directorships"

I have a separate section for Volunteer Experience after my Work Experience.

When I was returning to work after having 5 years off with my son, I listed the volunteer and work experience in one section to cover the time period. Now that I have a most recent job I list them separately.

Advertisement