IGNORED

Current supervisor as referee for a job

Hummingbird82

Hummingbird82

After some advice please.

I worked for 5 months at an Australian public service government agency in an entry level position after being out of the workforce for some years.

I then moved to a Queensland government agency for a promotion in the area of work I used to work in previously (and different to the job I had at the APS). I've been in that role for 3 months.

A job as the team leader in the area I am qualified in has been advertised at the Australian government agency I worked in before. The convenor and the people on the panel are my old colleagues who worked in the same area as me so know me fairly well although didn't work directly with me.

I have been told by the old team leader that I should apply for this job and was also emailed the job by the convenor to pass onto my colleagues to let them know about.

Sorry for the long story.... So the job application states that they want a current supervisor as a reference. My Supervisor doesn't know I'm looking at this job and I would rather he doesn't know. How strict is the APS about having a current supervisor and is there perhaps less need for it considering the people running the panel have worked with me?

I also wanted to add that I left the company on good terms and would like to keep my current supervisor on side if I can. There are only 2 of us in our work unit and applying for this job makes me feel really bad about 'going behind his back' but it's a great opportunity and I think I can offer a lot to the organisation.

Has anyone been in a similar position?

Thank you

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hummingbird82

• IamtheMumma

• Sancti-claws

• SleepyBear

Top Posters In This Topic

I only ever provide references on request post interview. Really a referee should only be contacted if you are quite advanced in the interview process as a formality and in my experience you are always informed first that it will be happening so that in circumstances like yours you can let the referee know they have been listed and to expect a call.

Can you speak to the hiring contact and discuss if they are happy for you to apply without a nominated referee for now given your employer is unaware you will be applying? That's a pretty standard situation.

Sancti-claws

It is definitely a Public Service "thing" - I have never seen such a thing in the Private Sector. The CVs that I have submitted in the past for any job (Public or Private) I put "available on request" with the reference section.

Usually on an APS application you can indicate why you haven't listed your current supervisor if you choose not to.

I'd just put something like "current supervisor can be used as a reference if required but please contact me first for details". That way you don't put the details in but if they're serious about you they'll call you and ask you for your supervisor's details. Then you can discuss it with your supervisor and go from there.

It is definitely a Public Service "thing" - I have never seen such a thing in the Private Sector. The CVs that I have submitted in the past for any job (Public or Private) I put "available on request" with the reference section.

NSW Health PS thing too. You can't apply without letting your immediate manager know.

Having just completed my "being on an APS selection panel" training last week, yes there is some flexibility in not contacting your current supervisor, especially if they haven't been your supervisor for long.

So I'd recommend not providing their details, and out "current supervisor details available on request" and have the discussion when it gets to that stage.

Hummingbird82

Thank you so much everyone. I will put current supervisor's details available on request. That's great.

Does anyone know whether they would do reference checks for a few people or just the preferred applicant?

Thank you again.

IamtheMumma

It depends. I've had reference checks done without an interview (which I found to be weird) but mostly its done after they've interviewed you and you're on the short list.

Its typically part of the conditions of offer (ie we are offering you the job pending checking references)

However I have been down to the final two and they wanted the reference checks to split the difference.

• 3 weeks later...
Hummingbird82

Thank you so much! Application has been submitted with current supervisor details available on request. I appreciate all the advice.

Advertisement