IGNORED

How to spot a scam?

Wolf87

Hey gang

Wasn’t sure where to put this. Selling some jeans on Facebook marketplace, and I’ve had a bite from a seller a few hours away. They want me to post and they’ll pay with PayPal. She sounds normal enough, but I remember reading about people selling cars being hit by a scam involving PayPal- I’ll only be out of pocket $30 + postage, but is it risky? I’d rather give them away than get duped. Anyone in the know?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wolf87

• Jolly_F

• VeritasVinumArte

• Lucy

Top Posters In This Topic

You get clear payment before sending.

That’s how I always sell on FB!

I have not had any issues with PayPal but I always make sure payment is cleared.

You get clear payment before sending.

That’s how I always sell on FB!

I have not had any issues with PayPal but I always make sure payment is cleared.

Ahh cool! Wanted to make sure I wasn’t being an idiot. Her profile looks pretty legit so fingers crossed 🤞

VeritasVinumArte

The selling car scam is they claim to have overpaid you and get you to refund the money via wire transfer (like Western Union), but the “proof” of their original transfer is not real.

So if they claim to have transferred via PayPal, check your PayPal account to see it has arrived and has been cleared before posting. Then keep a copy if the tracking details so if they claim non receipt you can prove it was sent.

I have purchased and sold things via FB Buy/Sell/Swap sites without issue (although some have had experience where they sent goods, buyer claims non receipt then goes onto eBay to onsell item which they claimed not to have received).

The selling car scam is they claim to have overpaid you and get you to refund the money via wire transfer (like Western Union), but the “proof” of their original transfer is not real.

So if they claim to have transferred via PayPal, check your PayPal account to see it has arrived and has been cleared before posting. Then keep a copy if the tracking details so if they claim non receipt you can prove it was sent.

I have purchased and sold things via FB Buy/Sell/Swap sites without issue (although some have had experience where they sent goods, buyer claims non receipt then goes onto eBay to onsell item which they claimed not to have received).

Ahhh I always wondered how it worked. Thanks for the info! I’ll make sure I send it registered post too

I have sold clothes via Facebook and sent them by post numerous times and never had a problem. As mentioned by PP's I only accept money via PayPal. As soon as the money hits my PayPal account I transfer it to my bank account. I have heard of people being scammed by a potential buyer sending you a screenshot of a fake PayPal receipt, or they transfer the money to your account but then claim it back. So I always go into my PayPal account and check the money is there in full and transfer it to my bank account before I post an item.

When I am at the post office I take a photo of the front of the post pack with the purchaser's name and address written on it. I am very careful to write the name and address clearly and correctly. I also take a photo of the receipt clearly showing the tracking number and send both of these photos to the purchaser. I don't pay extra for registered post unless the purchaser has requested it and pays extra for it.

Advertisement