IGNORED

What's the best live performance you've ever seen?

Darryl

I regret that I never really made the effort to go to more concerts, shows etc. The last "big" one for me was in 1993 (GNR) at Calder Park.

What are your most memorable shows/attendances?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zeppelina

• Bad Cat

• MintyBiscuit

• RynandStompy

Top Posters In This Topic

Hills Mum Bec

I've seen Robbie Williams twice and both times were amazing.

We went and saw John Farnham a few years ago and he is such a fantastic performer. It was at a winery where you bring your own chair type of thing and there are about 4 different acts with John Farnham being the final performer for the night. We got there pretty late because DH had to work during the day so we set up our chairs right up the back with the stage a speck in the distance. Left the chairs to get drinks and something to eat and then when we were heading back to our chairs a guy asked us if we wanted some gold tickets for right near the front. He was working for the promoter and they hadn't sold many gold tickets for the event and they didn't want the front rows to look so empty. We took up the offer, leaving our chairs where we left them and we had seats in the second row. Such a good experience.

Edited by Hills Mum Bec

MUSE - at the Adelaide Big Day Out and again the next year at Thebarton Theatre.

They blew my mind at the BDO.. I remember saying I was done and nothing could top that and there was still 3 or 4 hours of the night left.

Pink and Tom Jones.

We saw Tom Jones in Vegas. He sang Walking in Memphis and it was amazing. I was 22 at the time and “old” ladies were flinging their undies over my head at him. It was hilarious.

Roger Waters @ Rod Laver Arena - once doing the entirety of Dark Side of the Moon, and another time doing The Wall

Bruce Springsteen @ Hanging Rock - the concert went for over 3 hours and was brilliant

Harry Styles @ Hisense Arena - pure, unrestrained joy from and for the entire arena full of people

iOTA @ many venues in the late 90s/early 2000s - always an intensely beautiful, funny, moving performance

Silverstreak

Mary Poppins was fantastic, as was The Magic Flute (DH and I saw it a month or so before I had DS, I wanted to go to the opera before I went into labour!)

Also BDO 1995 was pretty good!

I really enjoyed linkin park and avenged sevenfold. A surprise was thirty seconds to Mars, I liked the music but Leto was a very good performer, lots of stage presence, which I didn't expect

Silverstreak

Also DH has always missed out on seeing Faith No More. So he bought a ticket to see them with his friends and it's been postponed twice due to COVID. Hoping he gets to see them in 2022!

George Michael. Still the best concert I've seen (and I've seen a few pop/rock over the years). So glad I got the chance, its 11 years ago now. He was such an entertainer.

ClaudiaCosette

REM in 2004. They were on stage nearly 5 hours and just kept going. I had row 4 centre seats and was just blown away.

I'm a big REM fan, but never saw them live, so I'm so happy you found them to be amazing. I've actually only ever been to one big concert and that was U2 in 2006, which was a great experience. Maybe one day I'll relive my lost youth and get to another live show.

Pink is always amazing. I have been to a few of her concerts and she is a true performer, not just a great singer.

Elton John during his final tour - he was amazing.

Best would have to be Springsteen - mid 80's Born in the USA tour. Routinely did 3.5 hour shows. Saw him at the Sydney Entertainment Centre and it was so good I came home and got on a bus a few days later to Melbourne to see him again. The set list was different. He changes it for every show.

I have rather fond memories of seeing Skyhooks as a youngster. Totally inappropriate for my age but damn they were fun.

U2 - Joshua Tree era. Great show.

Bowie - Serious Moonlight tour and also Glass Spider tour. That man knew how to put on a show.

Suzie Quatro - OMG Suzie is a freaking legend. I wanted to BE her.

Melissa Etheridge - must have been round the time her second album hit. She was outstanding.

But most shows I've seen have left me with fond memories of it being a great show. There's only a few that haven't.

Abba, Rod Stewart, Kenny and Dolly, all fabulous.

Neil Diamond in 2005, he was amazing.

But I think I have the fondest memories of all of Jon English and Marcia Hines in their Jokers and Queens tour, at Kernot Hall in Morwell. It was fantastic and I was buzzing for days afterwards.

Agree Robbie Williams was fabulous (saw him twice). One time was right up in standing area against stage and reached out to touch him. :) and I'm not even a major fan (went with Robbie crazy friend). He really is an entertainer.

The best live performance for me though is a bit unusual.

It was Slim Dusty and John Williamson performing at the Centenary of Waltzing Matilda Festival in Winton, Qld in 1995. It was amazing. I can't even begin to describe the feeling sitting under the starry outback sky, with the great Slim singing the iconic song. I'm not a John Williamson fan (met him twice in Winton and he was rude both times, plus don't like his music in general), but he was fabulous in the same performance too.

I am likely biased as I spent a lot of time in NW Qld and Winton.

But it was shivers-down-the-spine gorgeous.

(oh, I also had alcohol on board that night which helped)

Since my divorce nearly 12 years ago (!), I have almost lived for musicals and concerts. It is hard to name just a few, as I love everything I go to almost, but the stand-outs would be:

1. Penn and Tellar magic show in Vegas, as DS, 11 at the time, got pulled up on stage.

2. Lion King on Broadway- I bawled my eyes out, it was so beautiful!

3. School of Rock- our family favourite movie turned in to a musical!

4. Harry Potter and the cursed child

5. Bruno Mars, as DS’s first concert.

6. Taylor Swift as DD’s first concert

7. Robbie Williams

8. P!nk

9. Hugh Jackman

10. U2 in 2019, 2 days after my Irish ex-MIL (who I loved) passed away.

ETA- I just can’t not mention Queen with Adam.

nom_de_plume

Most of the Big Day Out lineups were good. Foo Fighters, Jane's Addiction, Metallica, Muse, Rage Against The Machine, Tool, Pearl Jam ... Enjoyed all their headline acts. The mosh pits were insane.

Standalone concerts ... U2 have been great both times I've seen them (Elevation and Vertigo tours), Foo Fighters and Pearl Jam I've seen the last 4 times they've toured and they never disappoint. Pink was an amazing performance too.

So many, from Oils to Wham to Guns n Roses at Calder Park. I think the best live performances I ever saw were Doc Neeson and the Angels. Absolutely superb. INXS, Bon Jovi, Robbie Williams also honourable mentions. So glad I saw so many bands.

Advertisement