IGNORED

Wife Swap Australia

TheMagician

TheMagician

Has anyone been watching? I think we are 3 weeks in? I always find them a hoot even though most of it is probably staged.

Tonights episode is a YouTube family from Melbourne I have been watching for about 4 years. Will be interesting!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• riotproof

• TheMagician

• BECZ

• Dusty

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it when the differences are actually something interesting. Didn’t like the strict parents versus free range camping family. It’s best for me when they both feel like they can learn something from the other, even though they never seem to keep any of the changes suggested.

The dad with 11 kids is so childish. Thought the ex navy dad would be the stereotypical regimental type. Was good to see he was open to the changes.

The dad with 11 kids is so childish.

He was child number 12. I wonder what his job is because there is a lot of money invested in the toys, perhaps more could have been spent on some fresh food as boiled rice and tomato sauce all round for tea seemed an odd choice.

I could not deal with that chaos to be honest although the older children seemed well adjusted and happy. The little ones just seemed to be like little chickens running around in the wild.

I feel like Navy wife needed structure to cope, I think she was far more fragile than she wanted us to see. Navy husband I think was enlightened.

Last night we watched ep 1 education v the unschoolers

I really felt for the little one who struggled with one plus one, the dad had no clue how to educate, this is why we leave it to the professionals.

and I would have thought unschooling was illegal??

notable mention - the washing machine water!

Last night we watched ep 1 education v the unschoolers

I really felt for the little one who struggled with one plus one, the dad had no clue how to educate, this is why we leave it to the professionals.

and I would have thought unschooling was illegal??

notable mention - the washing machine water!

Oh yes. That washing water was disgusting. Most of that clothing would have to have been getting dirtier by the time the water got to that stage.

I do find it fascinating to see the different ways that families live and raise their children etc. Obviously these families have all been chosen for being extreme in some way so its not completely relatable but I can often see parts of our family in some of these families. I don't like the comment at the start where they actually say 'which family parents better' or something along those lines because every family is different and on most episodes, both families did some things better and had some things to improve on. Very few episodes have had a clear 'winner' or 'perfect parents'.

I found last night's episode interesting because the 'strict' family actually took on most of the new rules and made an effort to change and grow from the experience whereas the other family didn't seem to take on anything. I do find it sad that the parents just keep popping out kids and seem to expect the older children to take on the burden of raising the younger ones. Its fine to have kids take on chores and help out but the 3 older children seemed to be doing the bulk of the household work. I found the dad of the 11 children to be exceptionally rude, especially in the final bit where the two couples met. It was funny that he kept pushing their 'balanced diet' when they had rice and tomato sauce for dinner.

With the first episode, I found the whole 'unschooling' concept to be completely baffling. The younger kids just seemed to have no grasp of even basic concepts. It was also sad when the older son and the husband tried to push for some more formal learning at the end and the mum just shut them down and was so rude about it. That was probably the one family where I actively disagreed with most of their choices and couldn't really find anything redeeming about them.

The unschooling one was very sad. My 3 year old is starting to write, knows all the letters and numbers, and can count and do vey simple math.

The main flaw with unschooling, is that it’s based on the premise that the children will learn what they want to learn, But how do you know that you want to learn about physics or Roman history, or anything, if you don’t even know of it’s existence? I felt so bad for the older boy, who expressed an interest in going to Uni. How would he get in?

Full credit to Navy husband with the helicopter wife from last nights episode for taking on and mostly embracing the changes. Sadly, the large family did not retaliate.

They both have their faults (as do we all), but in my opinion, the large family needed to make the most changes and sadly for those kids, took on none of them.

[mention]STBG +2[/mention], I too wondered what he did for a job. Maybe he earns a lot, maybe not so much, as I can only imagine how much family assistance etc. they receive and let’s face it, that house is way too small for that family and in need or some work too.

That rice with tomato sauce!!! How can someone consider that a reasonable meal??? I guess they don’t spend anywhere near as much on food as they should either. Yeah, prepackaged snacks can be expensive, but many are regularly half price too.

I found it interesting that the strict family’s kids seemed to attend a public school, where the relaxed family’s kids appeared to go to a private school. (Totally an assumption based on the kids uniforms). Mind you, the Catholic school that my kids used to attend, had majorly reduced fees for second and third child and fourth child and beyond, were free and all excursions etc. were included in school fees, so essentially my fourth child got free excursions etc., so I guess you never know.

TheMagician

He sells new houses, also studying to be a primary school teacher. He let the team down badly last night, well so I thought anyway.

And BECZ, you are right on the schooling thing. Much cheaper according to one of their videos to send all the kids to a Catholic Private School.

The dad with 11 kids is so childish.

He was child number 12.

He's now child no 13.

So she has had another baby ? I missed that bit. :o

I watched it this afternoon. I thought the smaller family were much more open to ideas and change. Their family will be better off for it. From what i could tell, no changed were made in the larger family. It’s a shame, there was room for improvement.

I’d secretly love my DH to go on this!!!

I watch last nights family on YT regularly too, as The Magician mentioned they now have 12 kids.

I totally agree with the army Mum that they have a very poor diet and too much clutter. In many vlogs the kids all have milo cereal or fruit loops for breakfast , then brownies after school. Their dinners are often things like chicken cooked in a sauce from a jar and rice , with no veggies in sight . Some of the younger kids will have plain rice and nothing else .

And yes the toys ..omg I have no idea how they afford it. Their latest Christmas present opening vlog - I have no words .

It was just the younger kids having rice with tomato sauce (and let’s face it, kids can be picky) the older kids/adults had some kind of meat and sauce with theirs

TheMagician

I watch last nights family on YT regularly too, as The Magician mentioned they now have 12 kids.

I totally agree with the army Mum that they have a very poor diet and too much clutter. In many vlogs the kids all have milo cereal or fruit loops for breakfast , then brownies after school. Their dinners are often things like chicken cooked in a sauce from a jar and rice , with no veggies in sight . Some of the younger kids will have plain rice and nothing else .

And yes the toys ..omg I have no idea how they afford it. Their latest Christmas present opening vlog - I have no words .

That Xmas vlog was certainly a real eye opener wasn't it! Lovely children, but no way could I live in that chaos.

TheMagician

He was child number 12.

He's now child no 13.

So she has had another baby ? I missed that bit. :o

Yes, another girl, she's 6 months now.

Advertisement