IGNORED

Peter Rabbit is a dick

Wolf87

Ok I’m a bit late to the party. Watched the live action Peter Rabbit for the first time (the first one, not the one in cinemas.)

To be fair I haven’t sat and watched it religiously from start to finish, but I’ve now seen it twice kind of half watching.

Is Mr McGregor supposed to be the bad guy? I’m not sure if it’s just because I can’t stand James Corden, but to me Peter Rabbit is a little shit! And now DD and I are arguing over who the bad guy really is. The bit where PR just chucked blackberries (that McGregor is allergic to) just happened which solidified my opinion more!

So what are your thoughts on this very serious topic? Or because I’m not concentrating, have I missed the point and they’re both supposed to be dicks? 🤣

Now that’s a title :lol:

I think they are both meant to be the bad guys at different points throughout but manage to overcome it to work together.

I don’t think I have seen the movie... just read the books.

I didn’t like PR when I was a child and refused to allow the books for my kids even though MIL loved them and kept trying to gift them to us.

Mean spirited and self centred. I understand it is a product of its time but times have changed and we should change too.

There was a MASSIVE outcry about that scene in the US when the film came out because of the sheer irresponsibility of playing a significant allergy like that for laughs. Seriously, people die from that shit. Given that DD is anaphylactic to nuts, no one in our family was going to watch it.

• Crying 1

Yeah all bits were Mr McGregor is being a bad guy though I’m kind of like....do you blame him? 🤣 Peter Rabbit is just such an unlikable character! Haven’t really watched the TV show, but don’t remember him being as much of a dick in the books - maybe I need to re read.

Yeah I really disliked the epi pen scene, it made me feel so uncomfortable! Like there was a case in the UK where some kid threw some cheese at a child with a severe allergy and the child died a few years ago?? Even when they first mentioned the allergy, PR went on a bit of a rant about how ‘everyone is allergic to everything nowadays’?

Has anyone seen the second one? DD is pretty keen to see it now, I’m definitely not even though I love Rose Byrne and Gleeson.

squeekums-the-elf

Hadnt noticed, to me its a movie, with characters going tit for tat, nothing more

i dont like to think too deep when i watch a movie, kinda ruins that whole switch off thing i go for

I watched it a couple of days ago with 2 grand children. Peter Rabbit was not a little shit, in fact he was obviously trying to turn around the reputation that the first movie seemed to give him.

I see so many real life situations in this movie and in fact I did in the first one too.

I do not have the energy to pick apart movies too much. The kids old enough recognise the humour and understand it is a movie and not a real life story. The younger kids enjoyed the bunny action.

I see far more harm in online gaming that they sit alone and consume.

I like James Corden but that had no influence on I felt about the movie.

I boycotted it because of the irresponsible allergy bullying. After a year or so I relented and let the kids watch it and after about 20 minutes they said turn it off, that rabbit is not funny, he’s rude, mean and behaving badly.

I haven't seen the movie, but I dislike the TV series, because Peter Rabbit is an unsympathetic character. He's a selfish little delinquent who needs to be put into a pie. Hurry up, McGregor! :D

He has turned over a new leaf in the second movie. :)

We loved the first movie, I missed the allergy stuff altogether TBH. And we are off to see the second movie tomorrow.

But yes, Peter Rabbit is supposed to be a very naughty rabbit.

ImperatorFuriosa

I read the books when I was a kid and I remember a distant memory of me thinking he was a little shit. My kids are to old for the movies, but the ads are enough and Peter seems obnoxious af and I would like to serve him up in some stew.

Kiwi Bicycle

Peter Rabbit and Squirrel Nutkin ( who got his tail bitten off from teasing the owl one too many times) are both characters written to show faults and being annoying.

I was rereading Winnie the Pooh the other day, and found it dead boring. I love the characters but gee the stories don't have much storyline or point as such. Pooh is supposed to be a bear with a very little brain, but he's very frustrating.

ClaudiaCosette

My kids were taken to see the first movie (not by me) and they enjoyed it, but I think they're a bit old for it now. They also used to watch the TV show which they liked precisely because Peter and friends got into so many scrapes (but don't get me started on that awful new character of Lily Bobtail).

I agree that in the original books, Peter was written to show kids what not to do. He went to bed with no supper while his good little bunny sisters got blackberries and milk (or something like that, that's how I remember it!) In the show, he was more of a hero for stealing from Mr McGregor, and always got a strawberry pie from the ill-gotten garden goods.

Go and see the second movie, Peter makes a big effort to turn his reputation around and make peace with Mr McGregor. It’s a great movie, we all enjoyed it. Fab sound track too! We loved the first one too.

Much better than Tom and Jerry 🤣

I haven't seen it but sounds like a crappy movie adaptation of a classic book. There was no allergy or bullying talk in the book! I don't remember him being a little shit...just a cheeky rabbit nibbling on lettuce in someone else's garden and getting chased out as a result?!

Advertisement