IGNORED

Nomadland

Jerry

****SPOILERS*****

I'm not much of a movie buff, but I watched Nomadland last night (on Foxtel), as I had seen the ads and thought I'd enjoy it.

I loved it.

I usually struggle to focus on a movie but I was engrossed in this show. The cinematography was gorgeous. I loved the blend of real life characters and fictional.

I guess I am pretty attracted to the nomad lifestyle anyway and I felt that Fern had a great life (except perhaps for the pooping in a bucket, no showers, little money) I anticipate having a more luxurious type of nomad life when I retire.

But she had such freedom in many ways.

I just wanted to her to be more happy, as there was such a tone of sadness and desperation in the movie.

I know that is the reality for many of those people who couldn't survive otherwise, but Swankie still lives on the road.

I loved that the movie seemed so genuine. I am sick of fakeness portrayed on the screen and in the world.

My parents were grey nomads for 12 years - had no home to go back to, living on the pension.

Any one else liked this movie?

Edited by Jerry

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jerry

• IamtheMumma

• MintyBiscuit

• ImperatorFuriosa

Top Posters In This Topic

IamtheMumma

Spoilers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found it a hard watch. I'm still going to keep going as I haven't finished. There was a palpable sadness and sorrow. Perhaps its is the grief of having lost the love of your life and losing your identity when a whole town closed. Pre-covid, I had dreams of doing this (and yes in grander style - composting loo and inside shower with gas hot water) . I still think this is how I'll live once I retire (if I retire) and it won't be as pretty as I hope it will be. I loved that she was a jill of all trades. Usually when movies are made about alternative lifestyles, they're rich and have numerous avenues to make money. Very few are cleaning loos.

Sorry! :) Have added spoilers to my post. ;)

Yes, such a aura of sadness, which I agree would be from the significant losses Fern experienced. I looked past that I guess and saw the beauty, freedom and "realness" of the life depicted.

I also liked her hard working nature and the variety of jobs she held to keep her head above water.

IamtheMumma

You know when Swanky said she her cancer had spread to her brain, I was like - how the fuck is she still driving? She's going to kill innocent people.

I can definitely see the beauty in the movie. The community is fantastic. There is independence and belonging at the same time. But it is also very fragile. One hiccup and everything is lost.

MintyBiscuit

DH and I went to the cinema for the first time in a few years to see this as I’d heard such good things. I thought it was incredible. It’s so sad in some ways but also full of hope and beauty. Deserves every award it’s won

ImperatorFuriosa

If you think the movie is good, you should read the book. I read it a couple of weeks ago and can't recommend it enough. I noticed the movie is on Disney+. I will have to watch it soon.

Not Escapin Xmas

I really enjoyed the movie too. The whole Amazon thing though, far out, talk about barely above slavery. That a modern society can have so many people who have no other choice is just criminal.

Luckily Swankie doesn't have cancer in real life - that part is fiction.

Yes, Amazon work (which looks amazing in the warehouse) really pays terribly.

I plan on downloading the book from my local library.

Advertisement