IGNORED

Do you park your car in your garage?

Ozgirl

Guest Alias Grace

I am having major garage/carport envy reading this thread!! We park one car in the driveway and one on the street. Our previous place had no off-street parking at all and so I'm grateful for the driveway, but would love to have some protection from the bird poo + possum wee + all of the brown Melbourne rain of recent times!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ozgirl

• LemonMyrtle

• Rosie28

• Bornagirl

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody do the "crook's park"?

This is where you reverse in to your garage / driveway so you can make a quick getaway.

:oncoming_police_car:

Hills Mum Bec

This is where you reverse in to your garage / driveway so you can make a quick getaway.

I reverse my car into the driveway, not for a quick getaway but because we have two cars parked side by side it is a tight squeeze so I reverse it so that my passenger side is almost touching the hedge on the side of the driveway so that I have more room on the drivers side to get in and out when the other bigger car is parked next to it.

Yes! Many neighbors with cars in a narrow street, lots of kids. Basically no traffic though.

We have a two car carport - so its sealed on three sides (house, fence and roller door) which we always park our cars in. But we also have a large garden shed to store all the things.

I actually hate leaving our cars in the driveway - it feels untidy.

MintyBiscuit

I reverse into every park. Can’t be faffing about with reversing if you’re bolting from zombies

TeamAwesome

No, our car didn’t fit when we bought it so we turned it into the master bedroom (house built in 94 master bedroom didn’t have an ensuite

We plan on building a garaport but not for storing the cars in the garage portion it will be a workshop/storage/workout space.

TeamAwesome

Yes but because I live in a small culdesac and two neighbours have crashed into each other so 8 wish to avoid that. My quick getaway ploy was more to avoid my in-laws who would plan to visit over a week in advance and not tell me until 10 minutes before they planned to arrive and they live almost an hour away.

ClaudiaCosette

Yes. We have a double garage and only one car, so can still fit all our bikes and DH's junk as well as the car. We have a shed in the yard too for lawnmower etc. If we didn't have that we'd have to be less junky in the garage, because our driveway is on a steep slope and our street is so narrow it's not a great idea to park there. I have also seen recently a couple of cars parked outside nearby with their windscreens smashed (apparently there's been a group of people going around at night smashing windscreens) so I'm very grateful we have our car in the garage.

ETA: no crook's park (love this term!) We can only open the boot in the garage if we drive in forward. I also prefer reversing back down the hill than up it (less of a problem now we have an automatic rather than manual like our old car was, but there's the boot problem with the new car).

Never had a garage, and at 68 it's unlikely to be happening any time soon.

It would be zero consideration for me in buying a new place.

OMG yes! I love our garage, two cars fit comfortably with some space around them.

We built a mezzanine floor in the garage, there was so much wasted space, now we store all our crap there, it’s fantastic

We have a carport instead of a garage and a garage to fit both the car plus the bikes and all the tools is a must in the next house. We have a shed but as we are a terraced block it's up a narrow flight of stairs so useless for tools, bikes, lawnmowers etc and that crap instead gets left in the alfresco and all 9ver the outdoor table so I hate not having a garage. Cars will always go inside a garage for us though.

Yes we do here at my parents - cause of a steep concrete driveway and the risk of ice/snow and not being able to get out.

But if you were building from scratch?

I just cant believe my friends 'dream home' which they have been very specific about doesn't fit one of their cars. Especially in an inclement weather location!

I just cant believe my friends 'dream home' which they have been very specific about doesn't fit one of their cars. Especially in an inclement weather location!

If I was building from scratch, probably, but that's unlikely to happen. It would also have to be a garage that didn't dominate the facade of the house, which is tricky without wasting land, unless it's a corner block.

It's not that I've escaped unscathed, either. Melbourne's hailstorm a year ago cost $11.5k to fix. Well, it cost the insurance company.

If I was building from scratch, probably, but that's unlikely to happen. It would also have to be a garage that didn't dominate the facade of the house, which is tricky without wasting land, unless it's a corner block.

It's not that I've escaped unscathed, either. Melbourne's hailstorm a year ago cost $11.5k to fix. Well, it cost the insurance company.

Ha! You will hate my current dream house then!

We have a single car garage under the house and a double car detached one and none of them are used for cars.

They are however used for motorbikes and quad bikes, and DH's workshop (in the detached one) and general storage.

To fit cars as well we'd need another 2. Plus would need to be a lot higher to fit DH's car. His lives in the driveway, mine lives on the street.

Kiwi Bicycle

But who said you have to have a garage at the font of your house dominating the facade? You can have a driveway down the side with a garage at the rear, or basement your garage so it's under your house with a ramp driveway coming up.

Plus resale value of not having a garage at all.

You need to either have a garage or a carport in a new build, it's up to you what you use it for.

We live in a 1960s build with a 1960s sized garage - it would only fit a Morris Miner. We just use it as storage and park in the driveway.

I would love a garage with internal access, definitely on my wish list for our next house.

But who said you have to have a garage at the font of your house dominating the facade? You can have a driveway down the side with a garage at the rear, or basement your garage so it's under your house with a ramp driveway coming up.

Plus resale value of not having a garage at all.

You need to either have a garage or a carport in a new build, it's up to you what you use it for.

Driveway down the side is a fairly inefficient use of land if it's a new build. Our council don't like the ones with a ramp from the street to a basement style - no idea why. I don't like them much myself, but at least they're a better use of the land.

It's getting a bit convoluted because choosing to not care whether a house had a garage was to do with my choice of a purchase - nothing to do with a new build, that was the comments following. I agree if someone's looking in an area where everything's new build, they'd expect cover.

If they want the $5m grollo style jobs around here they'd expect cover too, and lots of it. If they want a 100 year old $2.5m house, they might not get that choice. Plenty of BMWs and Mercedes around here left out in the weather. Driveway is as good as it gets for most older houses around here. Even further in, a driveway wouldn't necessarily come with a $2m house.

We could probably get 2 in side by side but with the children getting in and out both sides of the backseat I just don’t think it would work. So one in the garage and one in the driveway.

My grandmother used to hang carpet on the brick wall of her garage so she could open the door wide without scratching the paintwork. She had the cheapest model Laser that I later inherited so it had the super long front doors to allow access to the backseat. The 5 door would have suited her better.

We don’t have one! We have a 4 bedroom house on a bigger block but no garage. It was the only thing when we bought it that we did not like but the rest was perfect.

My parents have a double garage. When we stay there, they put us in the outside garage with no access. I think they just like parking in the middle of it. I dream of being able to get in the car without getting wet or not having to defrost the windscreen in winter.

We have a two car garage and park our two cars in it. My biggest sadness is that it doesn't have direct access to the house. But I cope. It does, however have a large area at the side which is used for bikes, roof rack storage bin thing (whatever they are actually called), scooters and various other outside toys. It was perfect with two smaller cars, now we have one small car and one big car that only just fits. Okay width wise, but has to be lined up carefully length wise. Could not back it in as couldn't open back. We also have a paved area that can be parked on (and still allows car access to the garage). DD always backs into it. Before we had that we were endlessly shuffling cars as DD would park in the driveway and then we would need to get one of the other cars in or out.

Our neighbours have never parked any car in their garage. It is used for storage only.

IamtheMumma

I had a nosey on my street today and I'm probably one of 3 houses that uses their garage as a garage. Mine is also a junk area as its a double.

I don't do the crooks move as I need access to the boot. I do that at work though. Making a quick getaway after I've clocked off.

Advertisement