IGNORED

New kitchen cupboard doors

Greatmum

We are thinking of replacing just the kitchen cupboard doors. We have a small kitchen. Has anyone done this and approx cost thanks.

Seayork2002

I haven't but a tip I was given is you can get cheaper doors but pay for good quality hinges/locks/openers/sliders etc.

Kiwi Bicycle

I would still get quality laminate not the cheapest as it wnds up peeling. My suggestion is to go to a small local cabinet maker. The big guns like Freedom won't want to know you.

[mention]Greatmum[/mention] , when you've decided on a place, would you let me know who you're going with? I'm thinking of replacing kitchen cabinet doors in a couple of years pre selling house. TIA.

Romeo Void

Huge shortage of melamine at the moment. My supplier is having to import from overseas and he's said he doesn't know what the quality will be like. I asked if it was due to Covid and he said no, bushfires

bunnings is pretty good for this stuff.

Two friends (who work as cabinet makers at different companies) who did my kitchen def said to spray over laminate anymore.

Hills Mum Bec

We looked at doing this last year with our kitchen and in the end it was about the same price to rip it out and put everything in new with a do-it-yourself company. We went with a company that provided assembled cabinets (no flat packs) so all we had to do was line them up, level them and bolt them together and because we got stone benchtops they came out and measured for the benchtop and organised installation. It was a really easy process but they are only in SA so not sure if you have something similar in whatever state you are in. We originally asked a local cabinet maker to quote replacing the door and drawer fronts and new laminate tops bu the option we went with with ceasarstone was the same price.

• Like 1

Kiwi Bicycle

We looked at doing this last year with our kitchen and in the end it was about the same price to rip it out and put everything in new with a do-it-yourself company. We went with a company that provided assembled cabinets (no flat packs) so all we had to do was line them up, level them and bolt them together and because we got stone benchtops they came out and measured for the benchtop and organised installation. It was a really easy process but they are only in SA so not sure if you have something similar in whatever state you are in. We originally asked a local cabinet maker to quote replacing the door and drawer fronts and new laminate tops bu the option we went with with ceasarstone was the same price.

I have to agree with you. I too looked into it and everyone told em it wasn't worth it. So we ended up with an entire new kitchen.

One option we found out about is you can get second hand kitchens from people taking out old ones. Some are almost new but don't suit the taste of a new owner. A lot are sold to people renovating holiday homes.

It's an option as a way to teplace a basic kitchen or if your kitchen is mostly OK ( maybe a few doors or drawer fronts damaged but it's a large kitchen) you could onsell to recoup cost. We were told we could of got $ 3k for our slighlty damaged kitchen. Unfortunately the guy who did it was on holiday at the time, so our old one ended up getting trashed.

Hills Mum Bec

I have to agree with you. I too looked into it and everyone told em it wasn't worth it. So we ended up with an entire new kitchen.

One option we found out about is you can get second hand kitchens from people taking out old ones. Some are almost new but don't suit the taste of a new owner. A lot are sold to people renovating holiday homes.

It's an option as a way to teplace a basic kitchen or if your kitchen is mostly OK ( maybe a few doors or drawer fronts damaged but it's a large kitchen) you could onsell to recoup cost. We were told we could of got $ 3k for our slighlty damaged kitchen. Unfortunately the guy who did it was on holiday at the time, so our old one ended up getting trashed.

Yes, we sold our kitchen. It was 11yo and cosmetically looked fine but the materials were cheap and I hated the colour (it was white so appealed to plenty of other people. I put it on my local FB BSS page and it sold with 10 minutes for $700, I wish I had asked for more as I had so many people commenting that they wanted to be NIL (next in line) if the sale fell through.

So hills Bec mum how much was it going to be that u decided to just do whole kitchen

We have been quoted $1200 so probably just do it can’t afford whole new kitchen would that b $5000+?

Hills Mum Bec

So hills Bec mum how much was it going to be that u decided to just do whole kitchen

We have been quoted $1200 so probably just do it can’t afford whole new kitchen would that b $5000+?

$1200 sounds good. Our whole kitchen cost $6,500 plus plumbing & electrician costs, spent about $8k all up and we are really happy with the result. We got a another quote from a cabinetmaker to do exactly the same design/materials and it was $24K! TBH I don't think cabinetmakers are begging for work where we live at the moment. We live in the centre of a huge bushfire scar and it's really hard to get any type of tradie at the moment because they are all so busy with re-builds. We are still waiting for the electrician to come back and finish our feature lighting under the top cabinets and that has been since December.

Advertisement