As a guest, you're only seeing half the picture - register now for access to all forums. ×
IGNORED

Recommend me a quilt please.

Newme

Not too hot. I have a super king wool quilt 350gsm but it’s too hot and heavy. Only tolerable in July/aug. I’ve put up with it for 7 or so years and I’m calling it quits.

I don’t want to be hot and sweaty. King size wool quilt would be lighter but I don’t know...

Any advice?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Newme

• LemonMyrtle

• Fruitmincepies

• jayskette

Top Posters In This Topic

Just get a spring/summer weight quilt like the one you have? It will be much cooler. Most brands of quilts have winter spring and summer weight options.

Would down/feather be physically lighter (also less hot if summer/all rounder gsm)? I also have a super king wool quilt and it weighs a ton. It's 2 quilts joined together so I can split it but I do miss my fluffy down quilt from my single days - it was like being ensconced in a cloud.

Do you like the physical weight of a wool quilt as if not, I would swap to feather/down. Much lighter to snuggle under that I hate the weight of wool quilts.

Myer usually have a good range that go on sale a few times a year as full price for a good quality ethical feather/down quilt is alot! I replaced mine last year and it's a 70/30 feather / down blend that was around $600 on sale for a king size.

If you really want a thin summer weight quilt lighter than a doona, search under bedspreads and coverlets - they're an all in one so no cover required. We're using this one: https://www.adairs.com.au/bedroom/quilt-covers-coverlets/home-republic/roma-quilted-blue-mist-coverlet/

If you need something slightly warmer then look at a lighter weight down doona. Or even the IKEA quilts are pretty light weight but I don't love sleeping under polyester.

No, I want it for winter. I have a homemade patchwork quilt that is plenty from mid nov- March. A

Cotton quilt and a blanket got me through last winter, but I’m not sure what that would be in terms of warmth iykwim.

super king is too big, even if it is made of the lightest material. best size blanket for individually regulating temperature is a double or queen, per person. ie don't share. layering is much better than 1 thick doona.

Advertisement