IGNORED

Roof repair

Rockwiz

We have a visible leak in one of the kid's bedrooms on days where there is a terrential downpour or heavy rain. We see it because it comes through the air-con vent in the ceiling. Only low to moderate dripping. Right above the area is a 'valley' in the roof. We have 4 valleys in our roof because we added an extension about 10 years ago.

Anyway we asked for a quote to fix the issue and the company decided to do a check of our WHOLE roof. Since the original house is over 40 years old it needs some work. They've quoted just under $8k. This includes rebedding and repointing all the ridge caps, replacing some broken tiles and installing storm clips in the valleys to stop the tiles sliding - the reason the water is leaking into the aircon vent.

Does this quote seem a bit over the top? I will get a couple more of course. Mind you this does not include repainting the roof or anything. I know it's important to make the roof leak-proof and all but it's a lot of money.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rockwiz

• Bad Cat

• Kiwi Bicycle

• Daffy2016

Top Posters In This Topic

I had someone up to check my roof recently when I discovered a leak. They also want to redo all the ridge-capping. Fairly standard size 3 bedroom place. Quote is almost $4K,

At my last house someone told me all the ridgecapping needed to be done as well. Got a second opinion and he said the first lot were having me on, there was a couple of minor issues on the ridgecapping but it didn't need redoing.

I have to wonder whether they just throw in the ridgecapping as standard, assuming people won't question it.

I'm getting much of work done on insurance (hopefully) because it's clearly storm damage. They're going to let me know whether there is any general maintenance required. So I'll guess I'll find out about my ridgecapping. I'm thinking of buying a cheap camera drone (can get one for about $50) and flying over my roof to have a look myself.

Thanks Bad Cat, That's interesting. The annoying thing is they are saying the new part of the roof - only 9 years old - needs all the ridge capping redone as well. So it's apparently in the same bad state as the 40 year old part of the house.

Oour house is 4 bedrooms since the extension. They've quoted for 76m of ridge capping replacement! The quote also includes $850 for clips to hold the tiles around the valleys in place and about $1200 to replace dysfunctional tiles. So I guess the quote is similar to yours if you take the last two items away. I guess I'll see what the other two quotes come up with.

Will they require scaffolding? At the very least they shoukd be wearing a fall arrest harness with an attachment point if a single level. They will need scaffolding for a double storey. That's takes time to set up and take down.

I am wondering why they are not replacing the valley metal pieces as well?

Will they require scaffolding? At the very least they shoukd be wearing a fall arrest harness with an attachment point if a single level. They will need scaffolding for a double storey. That's takes time to set up and take down.

I am wondering why they are not replacing the valley metal pieces as well?

The house is single story but the end where the extension is, is very high off the ground due to our sloping land. But they can access the roof from the original house end so not sure if scaffolding is required.

No mention is made of replacing the valley metal pieces. It just says approx. 100 storm clips to valley cuts to prevent them from sliding out of place. The guy that came to do the quote didn't even focus much on the source of the leak. Once he got on the roof to take photos he was only interested in seeing all the cracks in the ridge capping and the broken tiles in the old part of the house. So he didn't even explain to me whether it was the valley cuts slipping or the cracks in the 'newer' ridge capping which was causing the leak. His boss did the quote based on the photos and I guess the feedback he got from the guy who came to inspect.

Where it goes almost 2 storyed they will have to put up a guard rail along the edge of the roof at least. I suspect they will guard rail the entire roof then.

OP, are you in SA by any chance? It sounds similar to a company I had quote me recently - small leak required a full roof treatment. They also employed some dubious sales tactics that meant I wasn’t going to go with them anyway.

I got another quote from an independent contractor who gave me a number of options from repair only the leak to do the whole thing. We’ve chosen to go somewhere in the middle, on the understanding that we will need to do further work later but that it’s not urgent.

OP, are you in SA by any chance? It sounds similar to a company I had quote me recently - small leak required a full roof treatment. They also employed some dubious sales tactics that meant I wasn’t going to go with them anyway.

I got another quote from an independent contractor who gave me a number of options from repair only the leak to do the whole thing. We’ve chosen to go somewhere in the middle, on the understanding that we will need to do further work later but that it’s not urgent.

We're in Canberra. That's the sort of option I would like. Repair the immediate leak and do the rest later on - when we can better afford it!

Get more quotes, sounds dodgy.

Have you had a look yourself? Sometimes the possible leak path is quite obvious and a bit of gap filler is enough to divert the rain, especially if it’s just when you get torrential rain, and not every time it’s rains. Not a permanent fix, but a good enough temporary one.

• 2 weeks later...

We recently had a roof leak in our investment property, that only happened in torrential rain. The gutters were blocked, so we unblocked those, but it leaked again.

There were a couple of small holes, so the plumber filled them with silicon. Have to wait for more torrential rain to see if that fixed it.

A bit of silicon is what the "make safe" was on my roof as well. Well, that and a tarp over my busted skylight. Still waiting to hear back from the assessor's report and what they're going to cover. At the very least they'd have to replace the skylight that has great big holes in it. No way is that normal wear and tear.

We recently had our tile roof entirely repointed, capped and painted. Single story $5.5k.

It was a priority for us due to insurance issues if you don't maintain your roof and we also had a small leak. While I hated spending the money I get a lot of satisfaction looking at our beautiful roof now and also knowing we no longer leak when we have rain (which is constant this summer).

I had 3 quotes and the highest was close to $6.5k.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it’s taking forever to get 3 quotes lol! So far we have the original at $7.6K. A second at $4.3. We’ve got a third and final inspection in a few days. Hopefully we can then make a decision.

Advertisement