IGNORED

15 year old fridge- repair or buy new one

Elfie34

Would you try to repair a 15 year old fisher and pyk fridge? The fridge section seems to only be working on the bottom shelves...

And if the answer is no has anyone got a new 519l fisher and pyk bottom Mount fridge and are they still good? I did think that it would last more than 15 years...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Elfie34

• Kiwi Bicycle

• Jersey Caramel

• Meljbau

Yep definitely buy a new one.

I begrudgingly had to fork out for a new one at the start of the year but did discover one brilliant feature my old clunker didn't have - turbo freeze mode!

That's right. Zooper doopers ready in an hour. :exploding_head:

I have bought several F&P items over the past 25 years or so. 4 dryers, 3 washing machines, 3 fridges. I have actually been pretty happy with all of them and bought them when on sale so the prices weren't too bad. But no way any of them would last near 15 years.

Anyway OP I think I would only get the fridge repaired if it was a small and inexpensive repair.

Jersey Caramel

I looked at this recently and I think the verdict was if a fridge breaks down over about 8-10 years, it's better just to get a new one. More energy efficient and the money you spend repairing the old one won't get you enough extra life out of it (usually) to make it worth it.

I am very happy with our new bottom mount Electrolux.

I have a 15 yr old fridge. Recently, it wasn’t keeping the cold in because the seal was damaged by wear & tear. I got it resealed for $100 (part & labour) and it’s working well again. If it had been an electrical problem, I would probably have bought a new fridge.

What went wrong with a 5 yr old fridge?

There's laws that say goods should last a certain amount of time and for white goods it's definitely longer than 5 years.

I'd expect a repair or replacement from the manufacturer within 5 years!

We replaced our 14 yr old F&P fridge 8 years ago, new fridge still going fine. it's a Westinghouse. We also needed to upsize it as our old one was TINY!

I had a 500L Westinghouse upside down fridge-freezer for over 20 years. I had the rubber seals replaced after the first 10yrs to keep it going for a couple of more years, but it just wouldn't die. When it finally hit the dust, it was a very quick death - within 24 hours it was all over.

After 15 years and the problem being more than a cheapy repair such as new seals, I'd buy new.

Buy for sure. The same thing happened to us two years ago. Our 16 year old fridge stopped working. It was better value to buy a brand new one than pay for a repair which may give only a couple more years of use.

I had a 500L Westinghouse upside down fridge-freezer for over 20 years. I had the rubber seals replaced after the first 10yrs to keep it going for a couple of more years, but it just wouldn't die. When it finally hit the dust, it was a very quick death - within 24 hours it was all over.

After 15 years and the problem being more than a cheapy repair such as new seals, I'd buy new.

We finally replaced our 20+yrs Westinghouse early last year. It was a second fridge that was outside as it wouldn’t fit in our kitchen when we bought our house. Being a family of 6 with only being able to fit a small/medium fridge in our kitchen, we needed a second one anyway.

It just wouldn’t die, but I know it wasn’t running very efficiently and finally bit the bullet and got a new one for inside and moved that one outside.

OP, I’m pretty sure that you’ll also be amazed how much more internal space a new fridge will have while still being the same size externally. The walls etc. are so much thinner in newer fridges.

ClaudiaCosette

Yup, replace. We got a new fridge a few years ago after DH realised how much power our old one was using. When we got solar panels and he could see exactly how much power was being used, and overnight when just the fridge was on, it was an enormous amount. So the new fridge has basically paid for itself, plus it's got much more space internally even though it's quite similar on the outside (we have a fridge recess in our kitchen so were limited by what would fit in it).

Jersey Caramel

Oh yes, the newer ones have so much more internal space for the same external dimensions. I am also loving the drawer system in our new freezer, so well designed and the drawers slide fully out so easily so you can access everything and don't forget anything at the back of the freezer.

acidulous osprey

As infuriating as it is, I would also buy new. I hate sending stuff to landfill but I also hate paying out stupid money for repairs that probably will cost hugely and not last long.

The better efficiency is also a factor.

Not all fridges go to landfill. Companies that deliver and take away your old fridge/ washing machine etc have people that they one sell the old stuff too. Those companies to repairs and then sell the old fridge repaired ( little cost to them as they scavenge for parts), or then sell scrap metal or take to a recycling company the leftovers.

We finally replaced our 20+yrs Westinghouse early last year. It was a second fridge that was outside as it wouldn’t fit in our kitchen when we bought our house. Being a family of 6 with only being able to fit a small/medium fridge in our kitchen, we needed a second one anyway.

It just wouldn’t die, but I know it wasn’t running very efficiently and finally bit the bullet and got a new one for inside and moved that one outside.

OP, I’m pretty sure that you’ll also be amazed how much more internal space a new fridge will have while still being the same size externally. The walls etc. are so much thinner in newer fridges.

When we built our house, we had the fridge space built to fit what was then my dream side-by-side fridge (for when the Westinghouse died), But the bloody thing kept going for so long, by the time it finally died, the dimensions had all changed and the new Westinghouse models were a couple of centimeters too tall for the space, so ended up buying a much more expensive side-by-side because it would fit under the overhead cupboard!

The old fridges are also de-gassed even if there’s nothing much else that can be recycled from them (although I’m pretty sure there is). I think in Vic it’s actually compulsory to de-gas them for environmental reasons. I know at one point ?Vinnies were happy to even collect non-working fridges because they were paid by the govt to de-gas them. (That was 2016.)

We just replaced our fridge that was around that old - basically the hinge on the door had broken at the bottom of the fridge door, so the door was sitting skewed, not sealing. Given the age of the fridge, getting any replacement parts for it would have been next to impossible. So we decided to just get a new one.

Advertisement